Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell is doing pretty well to me (young qb comparison)

thecardiacrll

Peyton Manning through 12 games his rookie season (1998)

223/407 (55%), 2453 yards, 16TDs, 22 INTs

Matt Hasselbeck through 12 games his second full season of starting (2002)

135/203 (67%), 1375 yards, 6 TDs, 3 INTs

Brett Favre through 12 games his second full season of starting (1993)

212/347 (61%), 2119 yards, 13 TDs, 15 INTs

Look for Campbell to keep improving over the next 5 games and next season. If by the end of next season he hasn't completely broken out, then I'll be jumping off the bandwagon. Everyone jumping off the Campbell ship right now is a bit premature... he's still learning about the NFL. I'm glad he's gotten to this point in his development... most good QBs go through this type of learning curve, and Campbell is still young.

The announcer was wrong yesterday. They usually(always) are.

JC is second in the NFL in rushing yards for a QB, Vince Young being #1. That said Campbell has been pretty good. Hes thrown for 300+ in 3 straight games. So whats the one thing hes lacking? The finishing. The one thing hes never done is finished off a game. Its what the great QBs do. Every time hes been in a situation, at the end of the game, to either drive down and finish off a team, or come from behind and score the winning TD, hes failed so far. Everytime we get in that situation I think "Heres the opportunity to finally get over that last hurdle". It really is the last hurdle for Campbell. Once he finally engineers that last minute TD drive to lead us to victory, he not only goes to being a very good QB, but he gains a load of confidence as well.

I think it would be foolish to jump off the JC bandwagon after one season, regardless of what the final record is.

Ultimately, a QB is judged by wins and losses. Keep in mind, though, that Brett Favre led the Packers to 3 straight 9-7 seasons in his first 3 seasons as a starter. Many were saying, at the time, that Favre was capable of spectacular play but made too many mistakes to get over the hump.

Steve McNair (whom Campbell reminds me an awful lot of) led the Titans to two straight 8-8 seasons before leading the team to within a yard of overtime in the Super Bowl.

Peyton Manning didn't get a playoff win until his 6th season.

John Elway didn't get a playoff win until his 4th season.

Why should Campbell get less time to develop?

It's simply too difficult to project how QB's career will play out this soon into the process. Guys like Tony Romo sits to pee and Derek Anderson are enjoying a lot of success in their first full year as starters. Will they be able to sustain it, though? There's plenty of precident for QBs that have started out on fire only to sputter and peter out.

We shouldn't be allowed to define Campbell's career by his mistakes the past two weeks any more than someone enshrining Romo sits to pee and Anderson in the Hall of Fame based on their play so far in their careers.

JC will never be more than a .500 QB.

He just doesn't have "it."

"if it smells like poop.. If it looks like poop... then it must be poop"

what did Campbell do sleep with you wife or something?

how can u say he wont be more then a .500 QB, go back to dallas.

Campbells in his 18th start looks better then most Young qb's.

never understood the hate for campbell. how easy is it for defenders KNOWING a team has to pass pass pass to get back into the game to play the pass. take back even two of those turnovers and it's a different game.

does anyone else not notice campbell has a better feel for the taller stronger receivers. you gotta throw perfect throws everytime when throwing to guys that short. if i'm not mistaken, we're in a timing offense also. the smurfs gets bumped and jammed at the line and can't get to their spot. look at cooley. it's not surprising he's campbells favorite target. it's because he's where he's suppose to be when he's suppose to be there. we need bigger stronger taller receivers.

i too thought cutler was ahead of campbell statistically. keep in mind, campbell has only been allowed to pass the ball recently. if we were gonna play like we did the first half of the season...we might as well have kept brunell in there. jc has game. anyone who doesn't see that is blind. not taking anything away from Romo sits to pee or andersen..but they have pretty good receivers, don't they.....and probably a better line than we have at the moment.

JC beat Carolina last yr with a late TD to Cooley in a come from behind victory...I know you remember the play he called on his own when his helmet mic went out...

Or how about the go ahead TD he threw in the first Eagles game this yr that was the game winner...

Or leading two winning overtime drives this year against MIA and NYJ...

Or how JC went into NO last yr and beat the hottest team in the league and one of the teams that was in the NFC championship game...

Or how JC brought us back in regulation and then was leading us down the field in OT against the Rams last yr until Betts fumbled...

People on this board must have selective memories...It is really getting old...JC is the QB of the Redskins and will be for a long time...GET USED TO IT!

JC beat Carolina last yr with a late TD to Cooley in a come from behind victory...I know you remember the play he called on his own when his helmet mic went out...

Or how about the go ahead TD he threw in the first Eagles game this yr that was the game winner...

Or how JC went into NO last yr and beat the hottest team in the league and one of the teams that was in the NFC championship game...

Or how JC brought us back in regulation and then was leading us down the field in OT against the Rams last yr until Betts fumbled...

People on this board must have selective memories...It is really getting old...JC is the QB of the Redskins and will be for a long time...GET USED TO IT!

:applause:

JC is just fine. He's doing what any young QB would be doing at this point, he's experiencing peaks and valleys. I'm grateful for what he's been able to accomplish so early in his career.

Basically, he's led some great late-game drives and he's led some others that have ended with him making a mistake. It's par for the course.

i dont know how u can say sean taylor is not cluch

everytime we needed a FG in the clutch he got us their.

we just cannot get us the game winning TD's.

WHy? we cant even score TD's durring the 3 qtrs of the game, in 4th wtr he just trys to make plays and throws int.

campbell or not we are not a good team inside the 20, and campbell is not the problem.

:applause:

JC is just fine. He's doing what any young QB would be doing at this point, he's experiencing peaks and valleys. I'm grateful for what he's been able to accomplish so early in his career.

Basically, he's led some great late-game drives and he's led some others that have ended with him making a mistake. It's par for the course.

not to mention hes amazing on 3rd and longs.

Sorry guys, but the pattern is clear: JC cannot lead a clutch late game drive to bring us from behind and to win.

To paraphrase Mike Ditka talking about Jeff George: Million Dollar arm, Ten Cent head. Campbell is our Jeff George.

Lots of QBs look good when the game is not on the line, or when you drive from your own 20 yd. line to the opponents 20 yard line. What does that QB do in the rezone? Stats look good.

T. Jackson (QB of Vikings) has more wins per games started as a starting QB this season than JC.

Do you want nice stats or wins?

:mad:

The difference is how many game winning TD drives has JC lead the Skins on?

He didn't win the Rams game so I don't know why you brought it up.

The Saint and Carolina game they had the lead late and held on.

Name me the games where JC lead this team from behind to score a TD and win in the last minute?

Peyton Manning through 12 games his rookie season (1998)

223/407 (55%), 2453 yards, 16TDs, 22 INTs

Matt Hasselbeck through 12 games his second full season of starting (2002)

135/203 (67%), 1375 yards, 6 TDs, 3 INTs

Brett Favre through 12 games his second full season of starting (1993)

212/347 (61%), 2119 yards, 13 TDs, 15 INTs

Look for Campbell to keep improving over the next 5 games and next season. If by the end of next season he hasn't completely broken out, then I'll be jumping off the bandwagon. Everyone jumping off the Campbell ship right now is a bit premature... he's still learning about the NFL. I'm glad he's gotten to this point in his development... most good QBs go through this type of learning curve, and Campbell is still young.

Just for fun, Brunell's 2nd full year as a starter:

1996: Brunell had the sixth-most prolific season by a quarterback in NFL history as he led all players at his position in passing yards (4,367) and rushing yards (396), becoming the first quarterback since Baltimore's Johnny Unitas to lead the league in both categories.

• He moved into 13th place on the list of most passing yards in a single-season in NFL history. He completed 353-of-557 passes with 19 touchdowns and 20 interceptions. He passed for his single-game best 432 yards at New England on Sept. 22.
  • He was named Pro Bowl player of the game after leading the AFC to a come-from-behind overtime victory. Brunell led the Jaguars to the AFC Championship game at New England. He also passed for 674 yards on 56-of-100 passing with three touchdowns.

i dont know how u can say sean taylor is not cluch

everytime we needed a FG in the clutch he got us their.

we just cannot get us the game winning TD's.

WHy? we cant even score TD's durring the 3 qtrs of the game, in 4th wtr he just trys to make plays and throws int.

campbell or not we are not a good team inside the 20, and campbell is not the problem.

sean taylor?:cry:

The difference is how many game winning TD drives has JC lead the Skins on?

He didn't win the Rams game so I don't know why you brought it up.

The Saint and Carolina game they had the lead late and held on.

Name me the games where JC lead this team from behind to score a TD and win in the last minute?

Carolina..nope..your wrong.

He threw a 10 yard out that cooley took to the house. In 4 minutes when we were down by 4 or 5.

Name me one QB that has won the game with a td in the last minute. Grese? That is the only one I can think off.

1996: Brunell had the sixth-most prolific season by a quarterback in NFL history as he led all players at his position in passing yards (4,367) and rushing yards (396), becoming the first quarterback since Baltimore's Johnny Unitas to lead the league in both categories.

• He moved into 13th place on the list of most passing yards in a single-season in NFL history. He completed 353-of-557 passes with 19 touchdowns and 20 interceptions. He passed for his single-game best 432 yards at New England on Sept. 22.
  • He was named Pro Bowl player of the game after leading the AFC to a come-from-behind overtime victory. Brunell led the Jaguars to the AFC Championship game at New England. He also passed for 674 yards on 56-of-100 passing with three touchdowns.

100 passing plays in one game? surely they jest.

The one thing hes never done is finished off a game. Its what the great QBs do. Every time hes been in a situation, at the end of the game, to either drive down and finish off a team, or come from behind and score the winning TD, hes failed so far. Everytime we get in that situation I think "Heres the opportunity to finally get over that last hurdle". It really is the last hurdle for Campbell. Once he finally engineers that last minute TD drive to lead us to victory, he not only goes to being a very good QB, but he gains a load of confidence as well.

This is what really has me baffled. Jason wasn't like this at Auburn or we wouldn't have gone 13 and 0 his senior year. I've almost caused myself headaches trying to figure this out. I'm not sure if it's due to the NFL being a higher level of play or if he doesn't have the O-line and running backs to depend on in the red zone that the 2004 Auburn team had or the shorter the field, the less the defensive backs have to cover and are reading the patterns better. This makes me think of the SNL group "Not Quite Ready for Prime-Time Players". I know it's not because Jason doesn't study the tapes. He's been studying tapes since he was 8 years old. And I know he has the skills to finish the drives. Just don't know why it's not happening.

Archived