Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reasons for Optimism in DC

Hardcoreskinsfan

First and foremost I'm probably too skeptical of the skins for my own good but I have seen nothing this season to make me believe we are dead.

Starting with the obvious Campbell looks great. He has made all of the throws(with the exception of the game winners) that should be expected of him and many that should not. Portis minus his fumbleitis today has looked really good the last few weeks and I'm not ready to bail on him. I have to say before a couple weeks ago I was ready to see him go somewhere else so we can get someone in the draft. Next most obvious is the Defense. Although they have been hampered by injury they still have not played awful, meaning they could have played worse. I know they had some coverage lapses against Philly and Big D but for the most part they played well in those games. You can't look at the D like last year and say they can't stop anyone, they obviously can. After those two obvious one there is one that I don't see many people discussing and that is the youth of the team. We have several players in their first couple years of playing including Campbell, Landry and McIntosh. I have watched every game this year and I see no reason we should not be able to win 5 of our next 6 games if we play they way that we are capable. Will it happen? I don't know but I think we have the talent to get it done. I'm sure the flames will ensue but I can't help but feel optimistic even with the terrible losses so far.

:cheers:

this is how i look at it

we suck, how can we not get better?

edit....o wait i been saying this for the last 10 years

i remember i use to tell my friends "hey it could be worse, we could be the cleveland browns" what am i post to say now?:mad:

I have no room left for optimism.Tired of being let down.From here on out i'll pick against the skins in my football pool,and expect them to lose every week.If we do happen to win another game this season i'll be happier,not expecting it.Instead of expecting it and getting kicked in the stomache in the 4th quarter.So much talent on this team to play the way we do.Totally dejected and just plain over it.Throw the rest of the games and move up in the draft.

I'm pretty sure there are only 5 games left. I think each of those will could be a tough game - no sure wins and no sure losses.

I'm not sure its fair to say that Campbell and Portis look "great". Portis had 68 today after 36 in Dallas. Campbell had two chances to win the game today and came away with two interceptions.

I'm pretty sure there are only 5 games left. I think each of those will could be a tough game - no sure wins and no sure losses.

I'm not sure its fair to say that Campbell and Portis look "great". Portis had 68 today after 36 in Dallas. Campbell had two chances to win the game today and came away with two interceptions.

My bad, you're right 5 games. Buff, Chi, Minn, NYG, and Dal. Fact of the matter is we outplayed them, problem is that doesn't count, only points matter. Anyways, I think if we can pull our heads out of the sand we can surprise some people and make a run at it. In the end it won't matter much what I think or say, they will have to make it happen on the field.

There is no hope in DC. None. As long as Gibbs is here, we suck. He can't coach to save his life. Now, fumbles aren't his fault, but running Portis when you need 1 foot is his fault.

We have a miserable #1 receiver, a fumbling running back, and mediocre QB, a D line that puts 0 pressure on without the Blitz, and O line that's beat up and sucks before they were beat up, and we have 4 corners who blow chunks. Yeah, there's something to look forward to in DC. :doh:

Tampa Bay's offense will never be confused with NE, Indy or Dallass. We lost to a 2nd string QB.

3 of their first 5 drives started at:

Our 19

Our 19

Our 31

We gave up 13 points on those drives, I'm quite content with that. Not to mention, they failed to score on any drives that were started thanks to a turn over.

Since 1993 this team has the 4th worst record in the league, with 2 playoff appearances. This team is pretty much the Cards, Bengals or Browns.

I stay with them b/c I have a sickness but something needs to happen that will turn this thing around. Gibbs is not the answer, obviously. Good coaches dont take 4 seasons to rebuild.... this team has been rebuilding for over a decade and they are no better now than when Spurrier coached.

Ever since Joe came back it's "next year we'll do better" because of this and that. Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubble but this year is last year's next year and guess what? We still suck. No doubt we've had moments of promise. But successful football franchises don't just have moments, they have entire games of doing well. After 11 games of a 16 game season it's quite obvious that this team (coaches and players) doesn't have what it takes to be successful. If you look at every position on the team you'll see there's hardly a spot that doesn't need upgrading. We can live with our QB. We have budding superstar in Taylor. Our linebackers are above average. But we need help at corners, both lines, rb, receiving, kicking & punting. Our team can't make that many changes in one year (and who would be making those decisions anyway. whoever it may be is poor so far). And if most of this team is coming back you can expect more of the same next year. Optimism? Please!?! I will root for this team because I have for 40 some years but optimistic? No chance.

First and foremost I'm probably too skeptical of the skins for my own good but I have seen nothing this season to make me believe we are dead.

Starting with the obvious Campbell looks great. He has made all of the throws(with the exception of the game winners) that should be expected of him and many that should not. Portis minus his fumbleitis today has looked really good the last few weeks and I'm not ready to bail on him. I have to say before a couple weeks ago I was ready to see him go somewhere else so we can get someone in the draft. Next most obvious is the Defense. Although they have been hampered by injury they still have not played awful, meaning they could have played worse. I know they had some coverage lapses against Philly and Big D but for the most part they played well in those games. You can't look at the D like last year and say they can't stop anyone, they obviously can. After those two obvious one there is one that I don't see many people discussing and that is the youth of the team. We have several players in their first couple years of playing including Campbell, Landry and McIntosh. I have watched every game this year and I see no reason we should not be able to win 5 of our next 6 games if we play they way that we are capable. Will it happen? I don't know but I think we have the talent to get it done. I'm sure the flames will ensue but I can't help but feel optimistic even with the terrible losses so far.

:cheers:

this season. forget it. next season I hope that we become healthy. then we can start dreaming again. just built our talent base around here. this team dont have a depth to compete with the injuries and the other teams.

Bill Parcels is regarded as one of the greatest coaches in NFL history. He was not able to win a SB with NE in 4 seasons. In Dallas he was not able to win a single playoff game. He never led the Jets to glory and he spent 3 years there. So I guess the question for you is, how long does it take to rebuild a program? How long do you THINK it should take? How long has it been since Denver won its last SB? Miami? SF? Cincy? How long has it been since Buffalo was a force in the AFC? The NFL is not an easy place to pull victories out of your hat and the playoffs are not something that is easily attainable either. If you want to throw stones throw them but I'm not buying the 4 years is long enough argument. Noone else has "rebuilt" a team in less time than that and if they have it wasn't a long term thing. Coach Gibbs is building this team to be dominant for years not for 1 season. The sooner people realize that the happier they'll be. I'm not happy with the way the season or last season has gone either but I'm happy with where we are heading. We actually LOOK like an NFL team again, how quickly everyone forgets the Spurrier years or the Turner years.

Bill Parcels is regarded as one of the greatest coaches in NFL history. He was not able to win a SB with NE in 4 seasons. In Dallas he was not able to win a single playoff game. He never led the Jets to glory and he spent 3 years there. So I guess the question for you is, how long does it take to rebuild a program? How long do you THINK it should take? How long has it been since Denver won its last SB? Miami? SF? Cincy? How long has it been since Buffalo was a force in the AFC? The NFL is not an easy place to pull victories out of your hat and the playoffs are not something that is easily attainable either. If you want to throw stones throw them but I'm not buying the 4 years is long enough argument. Noone else has "rebuilt" a team in less time than that and if they have it wasn't a long term thing. Coach Gibbs is building this team to be dominant for years not for 1 season. The sooner people realize that the happier they'll be. I'm not happy with the way the season or last season has gone either but I'm happy with where we are heading. We actually LOOK like an NFL team again, how quickly everyone forgets the Spurrier years or the Turner years.

Go compare turners winning percentage here to Gibbs II.

You will be very surprised.

No I wouldn't, Turner didn't build he was playing for the NOW. You totally missed my point. What i didn't say was that Gibbs was handed a very poor team and has basically gone back to square one. It takes time to build a winning mentality, how many years did it take him to win his first SB? He started in '79 as OC and became HC in '81, won the SB in '83 and was a winning coach from then on. You gotta figure he was building from '79 on. I dunno but I'd say he was handed a much better team the first time around.

1. I love the quote in your signature

2. I think what you said is true about Gibb's intentions. I think he came back to build a team that would be dominent for years. But I think the plan was derailed after the 2005 season, when it looked like the Skins were 2-3 players from a SB contender.

3. The truth is that the entire OL is over 30 and half of the DL is over 30. The under-30 replacements on the OL are all either undrafted free agents or 7th round picks. Realistically, of the present under-30 replacements only Heyer has a legit chance of being a starter. On the DL, Daniels and Griffin are both over 30, with only UDFAs as replacements. Worse, the six over-30 players on the line count $42M against the cap in 2008 and everyone but Kendall has a contract extending at least until 2010. I don't see a lot positive for the future in either line.

4. Fletcher is nearing retirement and Portis has taken a beating over the years. Moss is constantly hurt. I don't know if Springs is worth his contract, although he is having a good year this year.

5. This more or less leaves a core of Campbell, ARE, Betts, Cooley on offense and Landry, Taylor, McIntosh and Rogers on defense. That just doesn't jump out at me as a dominant team.

Man, there is only one game we lost this year that we really SHOULD have lost. That was to the Patriots. You can even make the argument that we should have lost the game to the Cowboys, but the teams that DID beat us, we let them back into the game. It's frustrating...Maybe next year what you're saying will make sense, but as for now, we're a joke - the laughing stock of the NFL.

2. I think what you said is true about Gibb's intentions. I think he came back to build a team that would be dominent for years. But I think the plan was derailed after the 2005 season, when it looked like the Skins were 2-3 players from a SB contender.

I agree with that, I'm just tired of all the Gibbs bashing. Our REAL problem in Danny boy and his win now mentality. I'd like to see the kind of program in DC that they have in NE. We have to coach to make that happen if we can get Danny and the fans off his back long enough to work his magic. There is a reason the man has been successful at everything he has done. I'm don't think of myself as an apologist for Gibbs, maybe I'm blinded by the success and memories of the 80s and early 90s. Nothing is a better indicator that Gibbs is being affected by the ownership than his playcalling on 4th and 1 in the 3rd Quarter Down by 9. Just doesn't make sense to go for it there, but that is a whole different topic.

I agree about the OL and DL also, we really are the team that players want to go to on FA though. Guess we can thank Danny boy for that.

Archived