Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going For It on 4th and 1 - Lost us the Season!! (Merged)

zCommander

It seems like OLD Joe punts when he shouldn't and goes for it when he shouldn't. Sorry, that was a bad decision yet again. In that situation, down by only 9 in the 3rd, you TAKE THE F'N POINTS. Even that big buffoon anouncing the game knew as much. W. T. F. Mate. W. T. F.

:doh: The Guy can't win for losing with you guys. You're pissed when he doesn't go for it, and you're pissed when he does.

No way. Going for it on 4th showed that we had balls and that Joe had faith in the offense.

Either way, a professional football team should be able to move the ball one yard.

Yup...I'd rather see JG have some nutz and go for it. The Skins should have rolled the Bucs today...but it's really hard for any team to win when they turn it over that many times deep in their end of the field. The Skins are damn lucky it wasn't 35-3 at halftime!

Oh, well...here we go again...5 in a row or we don't go!!!

Yeah right.

If our offensive line was capable of blocking as to get only a couple of inches, we would have been up by one and won this game.

You play to lose and you lose.

The Skins, for the first time that I can remember, played to win. They just didn't execute.

The philosophy and attitude were sound.

I'd rather try and fail than meekly not try and puss out like we usually do.

:applause: Exactly - going for it was the RIGHT call to make. If Gibbs had opted to go for three he would have been vilified.

If JG had elected to just go for 3 points in the Red Zone we would have been able to just get another 3 to tie the game at then end of the 4th Q. Go into OT and kick another 3 to win the game.

Thanks JG for listening to all of the fans who have said you don't have any guts. Why did you have to listen to them:doh: We are not the Pats!!!

I guess there is always next year!

ahh shut up!!! if they went for the kick and lost 16-19, then you would be ****ing about how he should have gone for it.

Without fail, the coach is criticized regardless of what decision he makes.

I'm sure if the field goal was blocked, or missed, then all the Einstein's around here would be whining cause we didn't go for it.

6 turnovers people.

Get it?

It seems like OLD Joe punts when he shouldn't and goes for it when he shouldn't. Sorry, that was a bad decision yet again. In that situation, down by only 9 in the 3rd, you TAKE THE F'N POINTS. Even that big buffoon anouncing the game knew as much. W. T. F. Mate. W. T. F.

You DO realize that the kick would've been for like a gazillion yards, right?! :doh:

Hardly a gimme.

EDIT: Never mind. I was thinking of the other time we went for it on 4th and 1, on like their 40. STILL, going for it on 4th and 1 BOTH times was theright decision! We just called the wrong play the time we were on the three. QB sneak would have done it. We came close to a safety on the subsequent Buc's series, and still got the ball in good field position.

Without fail, the coach is criticized regardless of what decision he makes.

I'm sure if the field goal was blocked, or missed, then all the Einstein's around here would be whining cause we didn't go for it.

6 turnovers people.

Get it?

And that's the bottom line. Can't cough it up 6 times and expect to win. Amazing that with 5 turnovers, we were in a position to win, really. :(

Yes but you also have to remember that these guys should have been able to get 1 foot....that being said I woulda prefferred to take the 3 points, it was still the 3rd quarter no desperation needed that early

Exactly. If you want to be a playoff team, you have to make those plays. And if you want Joe to kick that field goal there, you certainly have to expect him to punt it with more than three minutes left later in the same quarter rather than go for it.

This game was lost in the first quarter, not the fourth.

I would have kicked it, but I'm not going to [slang: promiscious woman] about it, either. Our D had been holding (and continued to do so. BIG kudos to our D) and there was plenty of time.

Guys, 6 turnovers lost us this game. Not that one play call.

guys, you have to look at the circumstances when gibbs decides to go for it on 4th and 1. today, we were down by 2 scores, needed a field goal at some point, and were on like the 6=easy FG.

last week, he chose NOT to go for it on 4th and 1 and went for a 50 yarder=Not an easy field goal

i said to my buddy before the play...whether or not they get it, this is not a smart decision, we were down by 9, not 2 TDs, with plenty of time! take the points!!!! yes, the 6 TOs killed, but who knows how things would have played out....but since this thread is about the 4th and 1, then i think it shows poor decision making by the coaches....again....

going for it was the CORRECT CALL. we don't succeed, and the bucs are backed up on there 3. there offense wasn't doing anything all game anyways. gibbs took a shot and relied on the defense to force a 3 and out, giving the offence short field position again. again, it was the correct call to make, too bad the incorrect play was called. 4 and one? you dont hand it off 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage, qb sneak that ****.

Dear Joe,

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

ON this board, many times it is a lose lose situation.

I always defended going for the FG in those situations, in close games you take the points...

I was shocked he went for it there, and felt that would come back to haunt them at the end of the game

Archived