Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help me name my new dog

redman

Now for some lighter fare! :)

My wife and I are getting a new female German Shepherd puppy in about three weeks. Some of you may recall that I was seeking information about them some months ago. Now that we're moved into our house, I've contacted a reputable AKC-affiliated breeder who had a litter about a month ago.

We're battling over the name.

I've joked to her that we have two options: 1) name the dog an overly-Teutonic name like Olga or Gertrude ("Gertie"), or 2) name the dog something that is humorously girlish like Sally (so that when you call "Sally", around the corner bounds this imposing looking German Shepherd. :laugh:

Anyway, we've more seriously discussed two names in recent days: Molly or Maggie. But neither one seems ideal.

Put out your best options. We need your help.

Kilmer, the golden retriever I had for 14 years before I put him down a couple of years ago ( :( ) was named Winston.

I've also thought that for cats (which we don't have and won't because my wife HATES them!) the names of Roman emporers, particularly the infamous ones like Caligula and Nero, would be perfect.

Seems to me you have two problems on your hands.

Registered name and call name.

My youngest female golden retriever is registered as: Amberwood's It Wasn't Me.

Her call name is: Shaggy.

My oldest female GR is registered as: Toasty's Irie Orion.

Call name: Irie.

Actually there are a number of good reasons to register a dog other than for the purpose of breeding.

GSDs (German Shepherd Dogs) are, like Golden Retrievers, overbred by unscrupulous backyard breeders and as a result, suffer from a myriad of health problems.

There are efforts by dedicated and responsible breeders to overcome this by establishing databases to track health clearances, longevity, cancer statistics, hip displaysia, etc.

While I have my problems with the AKC in general, and it's the reason I almost didn't register my oldest golden 10 years ago, registering your dog with them is by far the best method breeders have for tracking the success/failure of their breeding programs.

For an example of what I'm talking about visit this link: http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=94356

This is data on my oldest GR. I only had to enter her breeder's kennel name and her sire and dam and the database returned 5 generations of her history. From here I can gather information about eye, hip, and elbow clearances, longevity, and siblings history.

Registering with the AKC I think costs about $25. Well worth it if you're concerned about the GSD breed in general.

When I was growing up, my friend had a shepherd named Valkierie. He called her Val. I always thought that that was kinda cool.

All my dogs have been named after beverages. Brandy, Dacquirie, Cognac and Jaimeson's Irish Whiskey (Jamie)

I always named my pets after spending a little time with them. There personality, and actions made it easy to find a name that fit.

We had a weird neighbor once who had a Greman Shephard named "Queenie" and to make it worse it was a male dog! :doh:

for what it is worth, I like Maggie

I don't know if you should take advice from me on this because I named my lab Gus:gus:

I love the dog to death and the name fits him. He tries t act tough at times but is really the most gentle and seet animal you can imagine.

For some reason, the name "Sonya" popped into my head.....................for the GS, man she is gonna be adorable as a pup:cool: what a great choice of breed!!!

Those pics are awesome!!!!!!!!Makes me feel a bit bad for thinking about having another pup in the house. But my dude is all grown up and can take care of himself. Here yu can see he can drive himself to the grocery store: IMDRIVIN_jpg_t.jpg

Archived