Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama doesn't put hand over heart.......

hokie4redskins

I daresay that this does show bad judgment on the part of Obama.

Obviously he doesn't realise just how stupid and shallow American voters can be, which makes him a poor choice to lead this country.

It's also annoying when people think all Democrats are "liberals,"

Yeah, if you want to see how stupid they can be look at the next post down:

Most liberals will respect him more now for showing disrespect to the country.
:munchout: Always entertaining to listen to the resident military expert spouting off about liberals in the comfort of his desk jockey job. I wonder if he knows liberals are fighting and dying over in Iraq right now just like conservatives. It is more than obvious that someone is talking much trash from the cheap seats instead of getting in the fight themselves.

:snore: Someone wake me up when he is in Iraq actually doing something...

:laugh:

I suspect when some children were young, an older sibling or someone else terrorized them with spiders and told them they're liberals.

If nothing else, one should take comfort in knowing that true liberals are a rather small and ineffectual group compared to the vast and much more competent moderate and conservative factions.

This will be my first time voting for president and I don't like any of the candidates from any party.

That has usually been the case these past couple decades...

Mainly it has been picking the lesser of the evils...

81, your regular lack of self-awareness continues to stand out. One reason you are likely being "dragged in":

My first red highlight indicates where you acknowlede not knowing whether there is some, perhaps even reasonable (gasp!), explanation and what it might be, and the second red highlight shows you "rushing to judgment" immediately after anyway :laugh: .

And your other comments build on that uninformed "rush." Jebus. :)

Thanks for highlighting it, and yeah, it was a curious question why he wouldn't do something like that, appears to be a reasonable question. The second part is my opinion. doesn't seem unreasonable there either? So what's the problem??

Based on the clip, and what I saw, I asked a question, than voiced my opinion based on what I saw. If you have some enlightened opinion above mine, I'd like to hear it. Sounds like what everyone does. views something than formulates an opinion off of what they saw.

You didn't crucify, you did say you found it disrespectful. Now you know the reason why he did not place his hand over his heart - because its not the tradition as he has known it. As you noted, EVERYONE else has their hand over their heart - and as you overlooked, NOBODY else is singing the Anthem. With that in mind, do you still find him disrespectful?

I agree that its curious for Obama to leave himself open for these trivial potshots when they could be easily avoided. But give the guy credit for eschewing the phoniness that's almost universal on the presidential circuit. You may call this a "mistake" that could cost him a chance at the Presidency, and you may be right. But this is not a stupid man, as anyone who has read his books and followed his career can tell you regardless of their political persuasion.

First I have to say I have never heard of anyone being taught NOT to hold their hand over their heart, but that also doesn't mean it isn't so. So with that said, that may be his case. Even so, I do find it disrepectful.

Thanks for highlighting it, and yeah, it was a curious question why he wouldn't do something like that, appears to be a reasonable question. The second part is my opinion. doesn't seem unreasonable there either? So what's the problem??

Based on the clip, and what I saw, I asked a question, than voiced my opinion based on what I saw. If you have some enlightened opinion above mine, I'd like to hear it. Sounds like what everyone does. views something than formulates an opinion off of what they saw.

With your question now answered, does it change the opinion you formed prior to obtaining that knowledge?

Edit - cross posts. But if you read the thread you'll find that it was standard teaching, at least in some parts of the country.

First I have to say I have never heard of anyone being taught NOT to hold their hand over their heart, but that also doesn't mean it isn't so. So with that said, that may be his case. Even so, I do find it disrepectful.

How is it disrespectful if it is not intended to disrespect?

And people say that Liberals are hypersensitive? Conservatives seem to go out of their way to interpret everything they can as a "slap in the face" to the USA, our troops, and Apple Pie itself.

rince, I know where you stand. But don't you think it's ridiculous that people are being laughed at for being overly patriotic about their home country?

Not in least. I think over patriotic is just a nice term for blindly patriotic. Look - I love America but I don't understand all this bs 'America can do no wrong' and 'any American symbol is sacred' crap. I think its a bunch of propaganda crap.

Not in least. I think over patriotic is just a nice term for blindly patriotic. Look - I love America but I don't understand all this bs 'America can do no wrong' and 'any American symbol is sacred' crap. I think its a bunch of propaganda crap.

I see what you're saying, but it just seems like you are one step below the nutjobs claiming we are evil and the terrorists are not. I know that's not what you feel, so don't take it that way. For instance, the Mexican flying his country's flag over ours. I got the impression, and I could be wrong, that you and others implied that he may have not known the laws. Fine. But, you then go on to say(again, it looks like to me) that even if he did it on purpose, who cares. I understand that you don't see that example as a big deal. But, in my opinion that is one case of give an inch and a mile will be taken. What say you?

Instead of getting pissed off about symbols why don't you actually contribute something to our society? Write a book, do volunteer work, something. This country isn't great because we sit around feeling superior. It takes hard work, intelligence, and determination. We can have flags at every ****ing door, but it won't do us any good. If that is one of our primary concerns.

Stop hating. Start working.

This goes to everyone, including me

I see what you're saying, but it just seems like you are one step below the nutjobs claiming we are evil and the terrorists are not. I know that's not what you feel, so don't take it that way. For instance, the Mexican flying his country's flag over ours. I got the impression, and I could be wrong, that you and others implied that he may have not known the laws. Fine. But, you then go on to say(again, it looks like to me) that even if he did it on purpose, who cares. I understand that you don't see that example as a big deal. But, in my opinion that is one case of give an inch and a mile will be taken. What say you?

The Mexican was wrong - but, in my mind it isn't that big of a deal. Like I said, Americans seem to take their state sponsored symbols way to seriously - especially the right, which is weird because that's a communist trait.

Also, I think the redneck with a knife was much more in the wrong in this instance and that's why the flag thing probably doesn't bother me that much. I would probably be able to agree with his righteousness a lot more if he wasn't such an arrogant prick about it.

Instead of getting pissed off about symbols why don't you actually contribute something to our society? Write a book, do volunteer work, something. This country isn't great because we sit around feeling superior. It takes hard work, intelligence, and determination. We can have flags at every ****ing door, but it won't do us any good. If that is one of our primary concerns.

Stop hating. Start working.

This goes to everyone, including me

Good post.

overly patriotic? Jeez, I wonder what's wrong with this country nowadays. :rolleyes:

"When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart"

--Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journals, 1824 US essayist & poet (1803 - 1882)

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"

--George Bernard Shaw Irish dramatist (1856 - 1950)

You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.

--Malcolm X, US black nationalist leader (1925 - 1965)

Yes...there is such a thing as too much patriotism because it can lead to blind obedience to the wrong type of leaders (see Hitler, Saddam etc.)

How is it disrespectful if it is not intended to disrespect?

And people say that Liberals are hypersensitive? Conservatives seem to go out of their way to interpret everything they can as a "slap in the face" to the USA, our troops, and Apple Pie itself.

I'm just curious, but am I not allowed me opinion? I personally think that if you don't do it, it is disrespectful. You may hold a different opinion which is great.

"When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart"

--Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journals, 1824 US essayist & poet (1803 - 1882)

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"

--George Bernard Shaw Irish dramatist (1856 - 1950)

You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.

--Malcolm X, US black nationalist leader (1925 - 1965)

Yes...there is such a thing as too much patriotism because it can lead to blind obedience to the wrong type of leaders (see Hitler, Saddam etc.)

Wow, that's interesting, I wasn't aware that holding your hand over your heart diring the NA was considered too much patriotism. But considering the left hates this country, I am not surprised that comments like this don't happen more often.

Archived