Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just had a scary thought!

corrupt3d

So the Cowpokes have two picks, their own and the Browns.

Jerry Jones went to Arkansas.

Darren McFadden goes to Arkansas.

Initially I was really happy that the Browns were doing okay enough to make sure their pick wouldn't be high enough to take McFadden, but whats to say that Jones doesnt package both of those picks up (and depending on where the Browns end up) throws in a third rounder (maybe even a second rounder) to get McFadden.

That'd seriously be 10 years of torture for us:mad:

Sorry, I know this wasn't thread deserving, but its been bothering me all day

I think speculating on D's draft next year is a real topic, if a real dark one for us. I hate the Browns for doing what they did. I don't see Mcfadden though at this point. I think they scored big getting Barber no matter how Jones plays out. The way Barber runs/works impresses me. But if Romo sits to pee is the real deal for 4-5 years (damn the luck if so) I can see them adding a killer tall WR as TO is aging and declining and the rest of the corps could use a future tweak even as well as they're doing.

AJ Green may go too high next year but maybe Julio Jones would be their style. The guy is big, strong, versatile (ST) and athletic. I'm getting nauseous thinking about it. I was going ot talk about some possible secondary additions but I'm done. **** Dallas.

I sure hope we don't go for McFadden. Nothing against him as a player, but we'd be better off going CB/WR/FS in whichever order you want to put them in. We're getting a bit old at wideout, we need more depth at CB and Henry is getting up there in age, and Hamlin is not a long term answer at FS nor is he all that great in pass coverage.

In later rounds maybe try to get a 3rd down back to compliment MBIII as the main guy and some OL/DL depth.

I think speculating on D's draft next year is a real topic, if a real dark one for us. I hate the Browns for doing what they did. I don't see Mcfadden though at this point. I think they scored big getting Barber no matter how Jones plays out. The way Barber runs/works impresses me. But if Romo sits to pee is the real deal for 4-5 years (damn the luck if so) I can see them adding a killer tall WR as TO is aging and declining and the rest of the corps could use a future tweak even as well as they're doing.

AJ Green may go too high next year but maybe Julio Jones would be their style. The guy is big, strong, versatile (ST) and athletic. I'm getting nauseous thinking about it. I was going ot talk about some possible secondary additions but I'm done. **** Dallas.

I agree they probably need to go receiver, but isn't Julio Jones a highly ranked high school kid who won't be draft eligible for three years? Maybe I'm getting my names confused, but I think you mean someone else.

It's a little hobby of mine to check out upcoming draft projections, and from what I've been reading on the internet, it seems that Jerry Jones is smitten with Darren McFadden and would like to keep the two-back system. As one poster already said, Jerry Jones went to Arkansas, and he probably has some inside information on McFadden. As for the likelihood of getting McFadden, it is a very real possibility. The Browns might finish in the 8-8 to 10-6 range, giving them a pick around 17 - 22. That pick, combined with a second rounder or third rounder would be enough fodder for a team like Miami that needs talent everywhere. Another pressing need for them, as someone pointed out, is WR, and if they don't wind up getting McFadden, it would not surprise me at all for them to pick up someone like Adarius Bowman out of Oklahoma State or Malcolm Kelly out of Oklahoma.

It's a little hobby of mine to check out upcoming draft projections, and from what I've been reading on the internet, it seems that Jerry Jones is smitten with Darren McFadden and would like to keep the two-back system. As one poster already said, Jerry Jones went to Arkansas, and he probably has some inside information on McFadden. As for the likelihood of getting McFadden, it is a very real possibility. The Browns might finish in the 8-8 to 10-6 range, giving them a pick around 17 - 22. That pick, combined with a second rounder or third rounder would be enough fodder for a team like Miami that needs talent everywhere. Another pressing need for them, as someone pointed out, is WR, and if they don't wind up getting McFadden, it would not surprise me at all for them to pick up someone like Adarius Bowman out of Oklahoma State or Malcolm Kelly out of Oklahoma.

I do the same thing man. :cheers:

I agree that I could see them taking Adarius Bowman over McFadden. Julius Jones and Marion Barber are both good backs, plus like someone said TO is getting older, but also Patrick Crayton is a FA next year and Terry Glenn hasn't been producing so much due to injury.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Raiders make a move for McFadden in some form or another, we have to assume that they're set at QB, so naturally they need a good, young RB and they will likely get a top 5 pick, and could still trade up to Miami for a higher pick to get McFadden. St. Louis will likely have a high pick too, but they're pretty much set at RB with Steven Jackson.

Personally, I'd love for us to take a big, dominant WR in round one, Bowman would be good, or Limas Sweed or Malcolm Kelly. The draft will be pretty deep with OL prospects and a lot of good talent will be available in rounds 2 & 3,which I think we should draft a tackle and a guard in both of those rounds.

Barry Richardson from Clemson would be a very good pickup at tackle if he's available in round 2 and Shannon Tevaga from UCLA would be solid pickup at guard.

Then there's Owen Schmidt from WV at FB, he's a damn monster that would be available late in the draft.

I know a lot of people won't like this but I still think Demetric Evans/Philip Daniels will be good for another year at least and that we need offensive help a lot more than defensive help, especially WR and OL.

I also think we should make a run for Jared Allen via FA to try and shore up the DL, that way we could concentrate on offense for the draft. :2cents:

I know a lot of people won't like this but I still think Demetric Evans/Philip Daniels will be good for another year at least and that we need offensive help a lot more than defensive help, especially WR and OL.

I also think we should make a run for Jared Allen via FA to try and shore up the DL, that way we could concentrate on offense for the draft. :2cents:

Awesome man! Which sites do you use? nfldraftdog.com is one of my favorites because they do a lot of mock drafts, but unfortunately they don't update their player profiles as much as I would like.

With regard to the Raiders getting McFadden, I hadn't thought about that much. I could see them as a possible destination simply because they are in need of talent, but then again their WRs aren't exactly world-beaters either (Curry is probably their most consistent, and Porter is their most talented). I could see McFadden going extremely high (like pick #1 or #2 overall) for many reasons. He's already rated by many as the top talent in this year's draft, and a lot of the teams will not want to make the same mistake that teams did this year by not drafting Adrian Peterson. I personally think that McFadden is a better prospect, although it'll be hard to live up to what Peterson is doing now.

Good point that we might want to get by with Daniels and Evans at end right now and draft some offensive talent, especially in light of how well we are doing on the defensive side of the ball. After this season I see 4 key positions that we need to draft. In order of most needed: OL, WR, DE, CB. The best part about this order is that, as you mentioned, there is OL talent out there (and almost every season) in the second and third rounds. I would hope that we would address DE or CB through free agency. Like you said, Jared Allen would be a good pick-up, but if we don't get him, there are a bunch of options at DL: Justin Smith, Terrell Suggs, Mike Rucker, and even Albert Haynesworth are all UFA after this season. Asante Samuel and Drayton Florence are also UFAs at the CB position, and we'll need one since Springs looks to be on his way out.

I say we pick up a DE in free agency, and then address the other issues in the draft. Since we'll probably be drafting around pick 15, we won't be able to get a top flight offensive tackle (read: Jake Long) at that point, so we might as well go for Bowman or Kelly. If we somehow find Long in our hands in round one, then I say draft Limas Sweed or Marcus Monk (although I'm a little iffy on Monk) in the second round. We can also add a CB pretty easily in this draft, too. There are bunch of good corners out there that would still be available in the 3rd round. Brandon Flowers out of VaTech, and Aqib Talib out of Kansas State (although the latter's stock is rising), are both good options. After that, best player available I guess.

Wow, sorry for the long post, I guess I had a lot of that in my system. It's always good to meet another draftnik!

Jones and the Cowboys have said they will do whatever it takes to move up and get McFadden. I am not happy about that, but we will see McFadden twice a year starting next year.

If Jones said that, you can bet your house he's got something else in mind. Its just not his style to turn two #1s into one #1. He'll probably turn them into three #1s by finding someone who's desparate.

Awesome man! Which sites do you use? nfldraftdog.com is one of my favorites because they do a lot of mock drafts, but unfortunately they don't update their player profiles as much as I would like.

With regard to the Raiders getting McFadden, I hadn't thought about that much. I could see them as a possible destination simply because they are in need of talent, but then again their WRs aren't exactly world-beaters either (Curry is probably their most consistent, and Porter is their most talented). I could see McFadden going extremely high (like pick #1 or #2 overall) for many reasons. He's already rated by many as the top talent in this year's draft, and a lot of the teams will not want to make the same mistake that teams did this year by not drafting Adrian Peterson. I personally think that McFadden is a better prospect, although it'll be hard to live up to what Peterson is doing now.

Good point that we might want to get by with Daniels and Evans at end right now and draft some offensive talent, especially in light of how well we are doing on the defensive side of the ball. After this season I see 4 key positions that we need to draft. In order of most needed: OL, WR, DE, CB. The best part about this order is that, as you mentioned, there is OL talent out there (and almost every season) in the second and third rounds. I would hope that we would address DE or CB through free agency. Like you said, Jared Allen would be a good pick-up, but if we don't get him, there are a bunch of options at DL: Justin Smith, Terrell Suggs, Mike Rucker, and even Albert Haynesworth are all UFA after this season. Asante Samuel and Drayton Florence are also UFAs at the CB position, and we'll need one since Springs looks to be on his way out.

I say we pick up a DE in free agency, and then address the other issues in the draft. Since we'll probably be drafting around pick 15, we won't be able to get a top flight offensive tackle (read: Jake Long) at that point, so we might as well go for Bowman or Kelly. If we somehow find Long in our hands in round one, then I say draft Limas Sweed or Marcus Monk (although I'm a little iffy on Monk) in the second round. We can also add a CB pretty easily in this draft, too. There are bunch of good corners out there that would still be available in the 3rd round. Brandon Flowers out of VaTech, and Aqib Talib out of Kansas State (although the latter's stock is rising), are both good options. After that, best player available I guess.

Wow, sorry for the long post, I guess I had a lot of that in my system. It's always good to meet another draftnik!

Cool, I use draftdog and walterfootball.com, I don't really pay attention to walterfootball's mock drafts though, they have us drafting Hunter Cantwell from Lousiville in the 2009 draft because they predict that Jason Campbell is going to suck :rolleyes: whatever though, they have good player profiles.

I'm glad someone agrees with me about going for a DE in free agency and using our draft picks to fix our true weak points (OL, WR) a CB could be in our future too. I think if Springs does leave we would be smart to go after Assante Samuel or Drayton Florence.

We could get Florence for cheaper and he's a very good cover corner similar to Springs actually. I kind of hope Springs restructures and stays though, I know he wants to stay here but doesn't want to take a pay cut, which I can't blame him at all. I think he would be willing to restructure (not take a pay cut, just get his money in different increments at different times) because GW has expressed how much he likes Springs, plus if Springs continues to produce like has so far and stays healthy I think they will try and keep him and that would save us some time and money in the offseason.

But yeah, I'm not sold on Monk but Sweed and Kelly would be excellent investments for the future and I think they would help Campbell and our other WRs out tremendously.

So the Cowpokes have two picks, their own and the Browns.

Jerry Jones went to Arkansas.

Darren McFadden goes to Arkansas.

Initially I was really happy that the Browns were doing okay enough to make sure their pick wouldn't be high enough to take McFadden, but whats to say that Jones doesnt package both of those picks up (and depending on where the Browns end up) throws in a third rounder (maybe even a second rounder) to get McFadden.

That'd seriously be 10 years of torture for us:mad:

Sorry, I know this wasn't thread deserving, but its been bothering me all day

Honestly? McFadden, as odd as it sounds, likely won't do us any good.

We need a deep threat WR and a blue chip CB alot more.:2cents:

I hate to say this but the Cowboys are much better at management and personnel than we are. They are best at addressing their needs postitions while we go for the best player available. I am happy with Landry sure, but can you imagine if we would have taken Carriker the kind of run stopping and sackability our defense would have?? Where the hell is Bobby Bethard anyway??? He is the reason we had such good drafts back in Gibbs winning and better days.

Jones and the Cowboys have said they will do whatever it takes to move up and get McFadden. I am not happy about that, but we will see McFadden twice a year starting next year.

:bsflag:

I don't think Jerry Jones has even said the words "Darren McFadden" in public, but if you can prove me wrong, I'm listening.

I don't think the Cowboys will give up 2 draft picks for a running back. They might take a guy like Stewart or Slaton in the 1st, but even that sounds like a stretch.

There was even talk of an extension for Julius Jones while they were working on Romo sits to pee's deal. If that happens then the chances that they'll take a RB in round run drop to about nil. Also, MB3 is a RFA at the end of the season, so we'll have to see what kind of contract he gets.

But I'd say the chances of the Cowboys packaging picks for Darren McFadden are right around zero right now.

I too love the draft. It's been slow torture lately around here because we haven't had many picks. Next year, though... we almost have a full draft's worth. :applause:

As far as Dallas goes... It doesn't look pretty either way. If they get McFadden, obviously, it'll be bad news for us. They're already damn good on offense. They have a huge, strong OL (Damn you Leonard Davis!), a super tough RB in Barber and great TE's. TO and Glenn are good for another couple of years, at least and adding a RB like McFadden to Barber and the rest of that offense will be a major, major headache for us.

On the other hand, if they do something like I've been hearing whispers of, which is get Michael Turner from San Diego in Free agency next year and use the two #1 picks (damn you Cleveland!) on the best WR and CB available... that's going to be very bad for us, too. Turner is ten times the back that Julius Jones is and adding him to Barber, Romo sits to pee, etc. would be bad news for us. Not to mention getting a WR like D. Jackson and another good CB.

The bottom line is... when Jerrah pulled off that trade with Freakin Cleveland and still got a good player in Anthony Spencer, that assured that they would have a very good draft next year. All we had to hope was that Wade Phillips would somehow bring their house down and now that it appears they're the best in the NFC, it's going to be bad for us for a few years, I'm afraid. With Romo sits to pee, Dallas is going to be good for a long time.

But... that doesn't mean we can't be good to and fight for the division with them. We just need to nail some picks this coming draft and pray to the football gods that something clicks for Campbell. If that happens, we'll give Dallas a run for their money.

Archived