Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riggo: Gibbs has his player selection criteria all wrong

FanSinceSonnyJ

"Character" should really just be a yes/no proposition and how you judge character depends on the makeup of your team. I think every team probably needs one or two "sketchy but really talented" guys. In fact, we have on of those in Sean Taylor. What makes Taylor a good fit for us is that we are able to surround him with a bunch of "good guys" that he's know since he was 17. Taylor is a good fit here because we have Portis, Moss, and Rocky. If you put Taylor on a team with no Miami guys, he might be in jail by now.

Randy Moss is a good example as well. Put him on a team with his brother, Chris Carter, and Denny Green, he is fine. Put him on his own in Oakland with Art Shell or with Mike Tice in Minny, and he is a basket case. Put him on the Patriots, and he is fine again.

The Pats also did this with Corey Dillon. He was perhaps the worst teammate in history in Cincy. He never caused a rippled in NE.

Red Auerbach used to bring in sketchy guys all the time, because he always had a bunch of "good guys" to surround them with. Kermit Washington, Pete Maravich, Robert Parish (who was a bad guy early on in his career), even Walton to some degree.

I think this Skins team could probably bring in Randy Moss and have him perform. I don't think the 2003 Skins with Spurrier could have done that.

(The early Gibbs teams had an illiterate drug addict, a borderline alcoholic, and an egomaniac philanderer all in starring roles. They were fine in the context of that team. Any of them on any other team might have brought the whole thing down).

"Character" should really just be a yes/no proposition and how you judge character depends on the makeup of your team. I think every team probably needs one or two "sketchy but really talented" guys. In fact, we have on of those in Sean Taylor. What makes Taylor a good fit for us is that we are able to surround him with a bunch of "good guys" that he's know since he was 17. Taylor is a good fit here because we have Portis, Moss, and Rocky. If you put Taylor on a team with no Miami guys, he might be in jail by now.

Randy Moss is a good example as well. Put him on a team with his brother, Chris Carter, and Denny Green, he is fine. Put him on his own in Oakland with Art Shell or with Mike Tice in Minny, and he is a basket case. Put him on the Patriots, and he is fine again.

The Pats also did this with Corey Dillon. He was perhaps the worst teammate in history in Cincy. He never caused a rippled in NE.

Red Auerbach used to bring in sketchy guys all the time, because he always had a bunch of "good guys" to surround them with. Kermit Washington, Pete Maravich, Robert Parish (who was a bad guy early on in his career), even Walton to some degree.

I think this Skins team could probably bring in Randy Moss and have him perform. I don't think the 2003 Skins with Spurrier could have done that.

(The early Gibbs teams had an illiterate drug addict, a borderline alcoholic, and an egomaniac philanderer all in starring roles. They were fine in the context of that team. Any of them on any other team might have brought the whole thing down).

considering riggo is one of the best redskins ever, and one of the most classless guys ever, i dont think its odd he thinks character is at the bottom of the barrel. and its always hillarious when people throw around character, yet riggins is somehow excluded from the discussions because he put up good numbers. or dexter manley for that matter.

considering riggo is one of the best redskins ever, and one of the most classless guys ever, i dont think its odd he thinks character is at the bottom of the barrel. and its always hillarious when people throw around character, yet riggins is somehow excluded from the discussions because he put up good numbers. or dexter manley for that matter.

Like I said earlier, I really think it is how you surround "the bad character guys." Riggins on his own was always completely out of control. When you had the Hogs to babysit him each night, he was docile.

Like I said earlier, I really think it is how you surround "the bad character guys." Riggins on his own was always completely out of control. When you had the Hogs to babysit him each night, he was docile.

1. physical talent

2. attitude- team guy and a totally fierce competitor

these are interchangeable as 1,2.

that is all.

Pretty much my take as well.

Talent w/o character (smarts, morals, attitude, work ethic) is PacMan Jones.

Character without talent is that really nice guy at the end of the bar.

1. physical talent

2. attitude- team guy and a totally fierce competitor

these are interchangeable as 1,2.

that is all.

Pretty much my take as well.

Talent w/o character (smarts, morals, attitude, work ethic) is PacMan Jones.

Character without talent is that really nice guy at the end of the bar.

He has character, but not always in a good way, spitting in someones face, pulling guns out (not that I don't agree with that).

But that how the media looks at things, but over all he's not bad, he's real quiet, when you see him, but on the field you know he's talking all types of **** :laugh:

It's been almost 2 years since we've heard anything really negative about Taylor as far as off the field antics and extra carricular activity between plays. People need to give it a rest about him having questionable character.

He has character, but not always in a good way, spitting in someones face, pulling guns out (not that I don't agree with that).

But that how the media looks at things, but over all he's not bad, he's real quiet, when you see him, but on the field you know he's talking all types of **** :laugh:

It's been almost 2 years since we've heard anything really negative about Taylor as far as off the field antics and extra carricular activity between plays. People need to give it a rest about him having questionable character.

Guys -Gibbs said it's the ORDER he rates it. Not the ONLY factor.

I.E -If I'm looking to hit on a girl for one night stand - My criteria is

1) Avaibility

2) Chances of success

3) Looks

4) Personality

now -Does that mean I'm going to hit on a ugly girl if she looks willing and able? NO! It just also means I'm not going to hit on a really HOT girl who is with some really big guy and getting ready to leave.

Gibbs did not say he was going to grab a no talent player just because he has good character - He said the is going to look at a player with character first, then check their talent.

Archived