Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riggo: Gibbs has his player selection criteria all wrong

FanSinceSonnyJ

Anybody catch Riggo's radio show day yesterday?

He was saying that Gibbs has his player selection criteria ***** backwards. According to Riggo, Gibbs rates his players on a scale of importance (1 being most important) as follows:

1. Character

2. Football smarts

3. Toughness

4. Talent

Riggo rates the criteria the exact opposite.

Who's right? I'm going with "The Diesel".

See, if that's truly what Gibbs thinks, how do you blame him?

If you got a guy with low character, who wants to work with a scum bag who is not honest, not trustworthy?

As for football smarts, a decent guy can outplay a better talent. Look at Vrabel for crying out loud. Or Bruschi? Or Fletcher? Or Shawn Springs? Knowing the game is worth a step.

As for toughness, talent and character and smarts sitting on the bench with a bruise ain't helping anybody.

I think the real question is; does Gibbs have the ability to judge, accurately, that he's got guys who are character, then smart then tough then talented and close enough in each category?

Brunell is character and tough and smart. It's just that his talent had slipped too far, in my opinion, to make up for his age and injuries.

I'm pretty sure that Gibbs said "Character" = A guy who will come in early and leave late. He specifically used that as an example. I guess you could classify that as "heart" or "drive".

Just my 2 cents...

Talent

Character

Smarts

Toughness

Talent is normally something that can't be taught, everything else can be built/learned, yes, even toughness.

I'm pretty sure that Gibbs said "Character" = A guy who will come in early and leave late. He specifically used that as an example. I guess you could classify that as "heart" or "drive".

Just my 2 cents...

Talent

Character

Smarts

Toughness

Talent is normally something that can't be taught, everything else can be built/learned, yes, even toughness.

well riggo is in the hall of fame as well.

and gibbs 3 superbowl rings mean nothing in the nfl today. nobody cares but skins fans holding on to the past.

Yes, he is.....for running the ball, not a franchise. When he is inducted into the HOF as a coach, he can authoritatively talk about how to evaluate talent. Until then, he is yapping on the radio to draw ratings.

well riggo is in the hall of fame as well.

and gibbs 3 superbowl rings mean nothing in the nfl today. nobody cares but skins fans holding on to the past.

Yes, he is.....for running the ball, not a franchise. When he is inducted into the HOF as a coach, he can authoritatively talk about how to evaluate talent. Until then, he is yapping on the radio to draw ratings.

You would really take a radio hosts opinion of how to evaluate talent over that of a HOF coach with 3 rings? The argument is over. Using that logic, Riggins should be a GM.:doh:

Don't question by fondness and respect for Joe Gibbs, I'm actually old enough to have actually sat in RFK as Gibbs I was taking place before my eyes. What were you like 3 years old when the Skins last went to the SB? :silly: I also have a lot of respect for John Riggins, a HOFer himself. Riggo has a valid point.

You would really take a radio hosts opinion of how to evaluate talent over that of a HOF coach with 3 rings? The argument is over. Using that logic, Riggins should be a GM.:doh:

Don't question by fondness and respect for Joe Gibbs, I'm actually old enough to have actually sat in RFK as Gibbs I was taking place before my eyes. What were you like 3 years old when the Skins last went to the SB? :silly: I also have a lot of respect for John Riggins, a HOFer himself. Riggo has a valid point.

I don't think it's as simple as all that but I would go with:

Football smarts - some players just have an instinct for the game

Toughness - I grow weary of the mounting injuries plus people running over top of us

Talent - This can't be taught. Unfortunately sometimes it can be 'coached' either

Character - Gibbs didn't coach a bunch of choir boys his first go around. Manley and Big John Riggins himself were notorious f***ups on occassion.

I don't think it's as simple as all that but I would go with:

Football smarts - some players just have an instinct for the game

Toughness - I grow weary of the mounting injuries plus people running over top of us

Talent - This can't be taught. Unfortunately sometimes it can be 'coached' either

Character - Gibbs didn't coach a bunch of choir boys his first go around. Manley and Big John Riggins himself were notorious f***ups on occassion.

I don't agree with Gibbs.The whole character thing is nice to have. But I think that sports are based on talent not who is running for the best Martha Stewart award. I think guys that have more character issues are tougher players that want to go out to show how bad a-- they are. So rate talent,football smarts,toughness,and character last. So maybe 1 day someone in D.C. will get that formula right. GO SKINS

I don't agree with Gibbs.The whole character thing is nice to have. But I think that sports are based on talent not who is running for the best Martha Stewart award. I think guys that have more character issues are tougher players that want to go out to show how bad a-- they are. So rate talent,football smarts,toughness,and character last. So maybe 1 day someone in D.C. will get that formula right. GO SKINS

Who cares about character? Im not saying you go out and try to find a guy that's killing kids, but it shouldn't be an overriding issue. The goal of the game is to find good players, players that want to win. Sometimes these types of guys aren't the kind you'd want living in your neighborhood.

Who cares about character? Im not saying you go out and try to find a guy that's killing kids, but it shouldn't be an overriding issue. The goal of the game is to find good players, players that want to win. Sometimes these types of guys aren't the kind you'd want living in your neighborhood.

I hope that was sarcasm because in 1992 he was 15....plenty old enough.

I hope that was sarcasm because in 1992 he was 15....plenty old enough.

Archived