Extremeskins

Riggo: Gibbs has his player selection criteria all wrong

FanSinceSonnyJ

I'd go:

1. Talent

2. Character

3. Smarts

4. Toughness

You can't create talent, you just have to have it. That has to be first. Character can be built, but the more character someone has, the easier it is to build upon and also the more likely they are to listen to advice for improving on 3 and 4. Smarts can be improved with concentration. Toughness can also be improved but I would worry about it the least because 90% of the guys that make it to the NFL level are already pretty tough.

QFT

I'd go:

1. Talent

2. Character

3. Smarts

4. Toughness

You can't create talent, you just have to have it. That has to be first. Character can be built, but the more character someone has, the easier it is to build upon and also the more likely they are to listen to advice for improving on 3 and 4. Smarts can be improved with concentration. Toughness can also be improved but I would worry about it the least because 90% of the guys that make it to the NFL level are already pretty tough.

QFT

Well, if you look at how untalented we are as a whole, I'd have to agree with Riggo.

Now, I know some people will read that respond with a list of 12-15 Redskins that are extremely talented (Taylor, Samuels, Landry, Springs, etc)... but I mean, accross the board, we have a lot of players on our 53 man roster that really don't belong in the league.

Well, if you look at how untalented we are as a whole, I'd have to agree with Riggo.

Now, I know some people will read that respond with a list of 12-15 Redskins that are extremely talented (Taylor, Samuels, Landry, Springs, etc)... but I mean, accross the board, we have a lot of players on our 53 man roster that really don't belong in the league.

The counter argument to the talent over everything approach is the Pats SB wins and the Skins free agency spending sprees pre-Gibbs.

Except those free agent spending sprees were based off former, not current, talent. Signing someone who's 36, years after they were good, isn't the same as drafting a high calibur player or someone in the peak of their career.

The counter argument to the talent over everything approach is the Pats SB wins and the Skins free agency spending sprees pre-Gibbs.

Except those free agent spending sprees were based off former, not current, talent. Signing someone who's 36, years after they were good, isn't the same as drafting a high calibur player or someone in the peak of their career.

He has character, but not always in a good way, spitting in someones face, pulling guns out (not that I don't agree with that).

But that how the media looks at things, but over all he's not bad, he's real quiet, when you see him, but on the field you know he's talking all types of **** :laugh:

Spitting is inexcusable, but anyone can get angry like that. The whole gun thing was dismissed and nobody knows if he actually did anything, so that doesn't count.

As for talking ****, I'd think that's the type of character I'd like to see in a player, especially on defense. He's the guy who'll lay you out, and beg you to let him do it again.

He has character, but not always in a good way, spitting in someones face, pulling guns out (not that I don't agree with that).

But that how the media looks at things, but over all he's not bad, he's real quiet, when you see him, but on the field you know he's talking all types of **** :laugh:

Spitting is inexcusable, but anyone can get angry like that. The whole gun thing was dismissed and nobody knows if he actually did anything, so that doesn't count.

As for talking ****, I'd think that's the type of character I'd like to see in a player, especially on defense. He's the guy who'll lay you out, and beg you to let him do it again.

1.Football Smarts

2.Talent

3.Character

4.Toughness

If there is a good system in place this should be the list. Lavar had all the talent in the world, but without studying the system we really had no use for him. Rocky from the sounds of it spent a great amount of time studying the system and has looked great this year.

1.Football Smarts

2.Talent

3.Character

4.Toughness

If there is a good system in place this should be the list. Lavar had all the talent in the world, but without studying the system we really had no use for him. Rocky from the sounds of it spent a great amount of time studying the system and has looked great this year.

All those in this thread giving the order things "should" be in, why aren't you a GM for an NFL club? Perhaps you don't "know" all you claim to? If we went by what all you desk-jockeys say to, we would have cut every player on the team and fired every coach at this point.:doh:

All those in this thread giving the order things "should" be in, why aren't you a GM for an NFL club? Perhaps you don't "know" all you claim to? If we went by what all you desk-jockeys say to, we would have cut every player on the team and fired every coach at this point.:doh:

The point of a message board is for people to share their opinions. Why do people get spun up over the most inconsequential things here?

Thats weird, becasue B.Lloyd doesn't posses any of those qualities.

I finally realized why we have Lloyd! He's our resident punchline!

The point of a message board is for people to share their opinions. Why do people get spun up over the most inconsequential things here?

Thats weird, becasue B.Lloyd doesn't posses any of those qualities.

I finally realized why we have Lloyd! He's our resident punchline!

It all depends on how you define character. I want guys who have FOOTBALL character, meaning they study and prepare hard, put the team first, and maximize their ability. Chris Cooley is a perfect example of this. He's not the most physically gifted athlete in the world, but he's got a lot of football character. I mean Michael Westbrook was a hell of a talent but had no character at all, football or otherwise.

But obviously you have to have talented players who also have good football character. Take Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. When it came to physical ability they were both at or equal level, hell if anything Leaf was more talented. But Manning had better practice habits, worked harder, and prepared better, and in turn he's going to Canton and Leaf is doing whatever it is NFL busts do(run for Congress?).

It all depends on how you define character. I want guys who have FOOTBALL character, meaning they study and prepare hard, put the team first, and maximize their ability. Chris Cooley is a perfect example of this. He's not the most physically gifted athlete in the world, but he's got a lot of football character. I mean Michael Westbrook was a hell of a talent but had no character at all, football or otherwise.

But obviously you have to have talented players who also have good football character. Take Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. When it came to physical ability they were both at or equal level, hell if anything Leaf was more talented. But Manning had better practice habits, worked harder, and prepared better, and in turn he's going to Canton and Leaf is doing whatever it is NFL busts do(run for Congress?).

THANK YOU! Someone reads and comprehends that character does not equate to frickin sainthood. Look back at Joe Gibbs coaching career: Gary Clark, Dexter Manley, John Riggins.....None of them saints, but they have character. And for all those commenting on Lloyd, please show me where he has caused a scene publicly, reflected negatively on the organization (helmet tantrum aside, this was dealt with). He still behaves in a classy manner. He doesn't bash the team or coaches. He has said he wants to be here next year, even though he isn't playing this year.

THANK YOU! Someone reads and comprehends that character does not equate to frickin sainthood. Look back at Joe Gibbs coaching career: Gary Clark, Dexter Manley, John Riggins.....None of them saints, but they have character. And for all those commenting on Lloyd, please show me where he has caused a scene publicly, reflected negatively on the organization (helmet tantrum aside, this was dealt with). He still behaves in a classy manner. He doesn't bash the team or coaches. He has said he wants to be here next year, even though he isn't playing this year.

Archived