Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins Go A Little Too Quietly - Wilbon

DixieFlatline

The thing that bothers me the most is how incredulous Belicheat is about it. I mean, really? You've never heard of sportsmanship before? What a douche.

EXACTLY!

He says "I guess I've been in the league too long" and all this nonsense about how when he's on defense he has to stop the other team. All well and good, but hello MORON, when the game is no longer in doubt, YOU TAKE OUT YOUR FIRST STRINGERS BECAUSE TO PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND ANYTHING, THERE'S NO REASON TO SCORE ANYMORE, AND THERE'S RISK.

Unless he's been under a rock (and by his looks, this is very possible), he's heard "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME" - that's what normal competitive people play for. When the game is won, you rest your players. That's common sense. There will be a lot more fire and aggressiveness from future defenses the Pats play anyway, and I would think a reality check is forthcoming. I think one of the big problems is G Williams didn't feel comfortable leaving Torrence on an island, and with good reason, which is what a blitz may have done. Eh.

The thing that bothers me the most is how incredulous Belicheat is about it. I mean, really? You've never heard of sportsmanship before? What a douche.

EXACTLY!

He says "I guess I've been in the league too long" and all this nonsense about how when he's on defense he has to stop the other team. All well and good, but hello MORON, when the game is no longer in doubt, YOU TAKE OUT YOUR FIRST STRINGERS BECAUSE TO PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND ANYTHING, THERE'S NO REASON TO SCORE ANYMORE, AND THERE'S RISK.

Unless he's been under a rock (and by his looks, this is very possible), he's heard "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME" - that's what normal competitive people play for. When the game is won, you rest your players. That's common sense. There will be a lot more fire and aggressiveness from future defenses the Pats play anyway, and I would think a reality check is forthcoming. I think one of the big problems is G Williams didn't feel comfortable leaving Torrence on an island, and with good reason, which is what a blitz may have done. Eh.

Today, the players who did it would be fined $50,000 each and suspended for 4 games, costing them 1/4 of their salary for the year--and the team their services--and the team itself would be fined whatever the current max is, and the talk show hosts and columnists would be pandering to the pissed off armchair generals by being all aghast at how far the great and classy Joe Gibbs had fallen.

Again, it's a great column. Taps the frustration we all feel at our team getting blown out and gives it an outlet.

Sorry Om, but I agree with Wilbon. I wouldn't advocate going for Brady's knees or a deliberate career threatening injury, but George Allen's teams with Diron Talbert would have knocked the snot out of Brady a few times and rung his bell. You don't have to get sacks, to send a message to the quarterback.

I also remember the old Redskins-Cowboys showdowns in Joe Gibbs era I, with John Riggins and some other Redskin players sending a message that they were going to war, by getting off the bus in Dallas in army battle fatigues. Dallas defensive end Harvey Martin was quoted as saying he saw "a lot of pain" in the upcoming game and someone threw a funeral wreath into the Redskins locker room.

But the Redskins of today are of no comparison. Joe Gibbs and the Redskins of Joe Gibbs era II rarely show any emotion on the field and should join a flag football league. :(

Today, the players who did it would be fined $50,000 each and suspended for 4 games, costing them 1/4 of their salary for the year--and the team their services--and the team itself would be fined whatever the current max is, and the talk show hosts and columnists would be pandering to the pissed off armchair generals by being all aghast at how far the great and classy Joe Gibbs had fallen.

Again, it's a great column. Taps the frustration we all feel at our team getting blown out and gives it an outlet.

Sorry Om, but I agree with Wilbon. I wouldn't advocate going for Brady's knees or a deliberate career threatening injury, but George Allen's teams with Diron Talbert would have knocked the snot out of Brady a few times and rung his bell. You don't have to get sacks, to send a message to the quarterback.

I also remember the old Redskins-Cowboys showdowns in Joe Gibbs era I, with John Riggins and some other Redskin players sending a message that they were going to war, by getting off the bus in Dallas in army battle fatigues. Dallas defensive end Harvey Martin was quoted as saying he saw "a lot of pain" in the upcoming game and someone threw a funeral wreath into the Redskins locker room.

But the Redskins of today are of no comparison. Joe Gibbs and the Redskins of Joe Gibbs era II rarely show any emotion on the field and should join a flag football league. :(

Doesn't anyone understand? I watched the Joe Gibbs post game interview. He was not the least bit dissapointed or sad. Why should he be? I'm pretty sure the Redskins went out and purposely took a beating.

Here's my theory. I've been studying Gibbs since 1980 and have been studying the Redskins since 1971.

Joe Gibbs is a Spades player. Is everyone familiar with that game? He's holding a set of cards. He knows he cannot take all the tricks.

He will never play an Ace if he knows a Seven will win.

If he knows there is no chance of winning, he will throw out his worst card.

Joe Gibbs is not going to expose his strengths and weaknesses if he does not have to.

If the Redskins came at the Patriots with their best stuff, two things would have happened: 1) The Patriots would have still won the game and 2) Joe Gibbs would have shown everyone his best cards.

There are 16 games this season and this was a Inter-Conference game. The Redskins can beat the Jets and the Eagles. The Redskins will be headed to Dallas at 6-3.

Actually that does make sense however, To go up there and lay an egg the way they did is still unacceptable sure they would probably would have loss the game maybe the same way as for the score goes but at least make an attempt to put up a fight.

That was the most distrubing thing they weren't even putting up a fight it was like Ol the big o bully can just bully us around and it's not a damn thing we can do about it. I can live with the loss but to see them not even give a fight is disheartining.

Doesn't anyone understand? I watched the Joe Gibbs post game interview. He was not the least bit dissapointed or sad. Why should he be? I'm pretty sure the Redskins went out and purposely took a beating.

Here's my theory. I've been studying Gibbs since 1980 and have been studying the Redskins since 1971.

Joe Gibbs is a Spades player. Is everyone familiar with that game? He's holding a set of cards. He knows he cannot take all the tricks.

He will never play an Ace if he knows a Seven will win.

If he knows there is no chance of winning, he will throw out his worst card.

Joe Gibbs is not going to expose his strengths and weaknesses if he does not have to.

If the Redskins came at the Patriots with their best stuff, two things would have happened: 1) The Patriots would have still won the game and 2) Joe Gibbs would have shown everyone his best cards.

There are 16 games this season and this was a Inter-Conference game. The Redskins can beat the Jets and the Eagles. The Redskins will be headed to Dallas at 6-3.

Actually that does make sense however, To go up there and lay an egg the way they did is still unacceptable sure they would probably would have loss the game maybe the same way as for the score goes but at least make an attempt to put up a fight.

That was the most distrubing thing they weren't even putting up a fight it was like Ol the big o bully can just bully us around and it's not a damn thing we can do about it. I can live with the loss but to see them not even give a fight is disheartining.

great article...wilbon hit it RIGHT on the head..this is the best one i've read from wilbon in years.....(not sayin he isnt good, hes actually a great writer) this was everything we feel or have said since the game ended and brought up great examples....puts us to shame tho...i hope we wake up from this!

great article...wilbon hit it RIGHT on the head..this is the best one i've read from wilbon in years.....(not sayin he isnt good, hes actually a great writer) this was everything we feel or have said since the game ended and brought up great examples....puts us to shame tho...i hope we wake up from this!

And that's how it's done! MW has ALWAYS been the best! Bar None. I was screaming the same thing. I watched the GD game all the way till the end. Waiting, hoping and praying that someone would knock the golden boy out of the game. I seriously wanted him to bleed.

I have been a big Gibbs supporter but he is dead wrong on that issue. You don't do it late or go for the knee; but I'd have damn sure told GW to send the house. Damn the consequences. Send 9 if you have to but put his azz in the dirt! I'm seriously disgusted with my team; except for Taylor. He was the only one trying to make them pay for their disrespect.

And Cooley is another one. He let Vrabel give him that extra shove?!?! Punch that SOB in the mouth. Shove him, grab his facemask, do something!!! Grow some balls Redskins! You got punked in that game.

And that's how it's done! MW has ALWAYS been the best! Bar None. I was screaming the same thing. I watched the GD game all the way till the end. Waiting, hoping and praying that someone would knock the golden boy out of the game. I seriously wanted him to bleed.

I have been a big Gibbs supporter but he is dead wrong on that issue. You don't do it late or go for the knee; but I'd have damn sure told GW to send the house. Damn the consequences. Send 9 if you have to but put his azz in the dirt! I'm seriously disgusted with my team; except for Taylor. He was the only one trying to make them pay for their disrespect.

And Cooley is another one. He let Vrabel give him that extra shove?!?! Punch that SOB in the mouth. Shove him, grab his facemask, do something!!! Grow some balls Redskins! You got punked in that game.

While I can sympathize with the sentiment - and I would have no problem if Carter got there a step or two too late and laid into to hit Brady - you have to actually be near Brady. Most of the time, he had time to do his taxes in the pocket.

Unless Wilbon is suggesting that someone pull a Charles Martin, I don't know how you "hit" Brady without facing a year-long suspension.

While I can sympathize with the sentiment - and I would have no problem if Carter got there a step or two too late and laid into to hit Brady - you have to actually be near Brady. Most of the time, he had time to do his taxes in the pocket.

Unless Wilbon is suggesting that someone pull a Charles Martin, I don't know how you "hit" Brady without facing a year-long suspension.

If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay out of the yard. Saying the Pats don't have class for running up the score is like throwing a pity party for yourself. I would hope we'd do the same to other teams if we could.

The Skins organization embarrassed themselves with that performance. Our offense is small, weak, and not physical in the least. Watch the Cowboys on offense, it was especially apparent in the New England game. I've never seen so many stiff-arms by the backs and receivers than in that game. That's playing physical football. Our offense has no killer mentality, and its plain as day that its the players and not the system.

If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay out of the yard. Saying the Pats don't have class for running up the score is like throwing a pity party for yourself. I would hope we'd do the same to other teams if we could.

The Skins organization embarrassed themselves with that performance. Our offense is small, weak, and not physical in the least. Watch the Cowboys on offense, it was especially apparent in the New England game. I've never seen so many stiff-arms by the backs and receivers than in that game. That's playing physical football. Our offense has no killer mentality, and its plain as day that its the players and not the system.

I'm also really starting to feel that the problem around here is the players. I don't think we have very much talent. Yeah, we have some good players like Cooley and Taylor... but not very much overall. *sigh*

I'm also really starting to feel that the problem around here is the players. I don't think we have very much talent. Yeah, we have some good players like Cooley and Taylor... but not very much overall. *sigh*

For those saying we should imitate the Pats, do you remember 1991? Yes it's getting to be more of a distant memory, but do you remember what players we fielded in the last game of the regular season?

Gibbs believed you play to win the Super Bowl. The championship game of the NFL. You don't play to show someone else you're better. You don't play for records (but if they come while you're playing, fine). You don't play like a wittle baby who's mad about getting caught cheating. You play to win the Super Bowl.

It's not helping you accomplish that goal when you run up the score, it's only risking it, because you risk injury.

For those saying we should imitate the Pats, do you remember 1991? Yes it's getting to be more of a distant memory, but do you remember what players we fielded in the last game of the regular season?

Gibbs believed you play to win the Super Bowl. The championship game of the NFL. You don't play to show someone else you're better. You don't play for records (but if they come while you're playing, fine). You don't play like a wittle baby who's mad about getting caught cheating. You play to win the Super Bowl.

It's not helping you accomplish that goal when you run up the score, it's only risking it, because you risk injury.

Our offense has no killer mentality, and its plain as day that its the players and not the system.

Well, the players are always an extension of the Coaches so i'd say there's enough blame to go around to both sides.

But if at least 90% of the players and coaches wasnt/isnt mad to the point of wanting to embarass the Jets come Sunday over the way things went against the Pats then i'd say this thing needs to be blown up.

Our offense has no killer mentality, and its plain as day that its the players and not the system.

Well, the players are always an extension of the Coaches so i'd say there's enough blame to go around to both sides.

But if at least 90% of the players and coaches wasnt/isnt mad to the point of wanting to embarass the Jets come Sunday over the way things went against the Pats then i'd say this thing needs to be blown up.

Archived