Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins Go A Little Too Quietly - Wilbon

DixieFlatline

While I can sympathize with the sentiment - and I would have no problem if Carter got there a step or two too late and laid into to hit Brady - you have to actually be near Brady. Most of the time' date=' he had time to do his taxes in the pocket.

Unless Wilbon is suggesting that someone pull a Charles Martin, I don't know how you "hit" Brady without facing a year-long suspension.[/quote']

And if you sell out and blitz, you potentially leave Torrence on an island. No one wants to see Torrence on an island, least of all G Williams. We didn't have the personnel late to do things like that, maybe. And I think we did start to go a little more vanilla though, I will say that.

As stated, the Patriots will run into problems with this philosophy in the future most likely, if they continue to use it. Ravens on Monday night, maybe?

In the meantime, they are generating ill-will this season. I guess that's good for entertainment, since people will watch to see if they get beaten. Maybe this is the way the Patriots get a little back for being laughingstocks of the league for so many long years. Even as I watch them now I kind of laugh at their ridiculous history until the modern era.

While I can sympathize with the sentiment - and I would have no problem if Carter got there a step or two too late and laid into to hit Brady - you have to actually be near Brady. Most of the time' date=' he had time to do his taxes in the pocket.

Unless Wilbon is suggesting that someone pull a Charles Martin, I don't know how you "hit" Brady without facing a year-long suspension.[/quote']

And if you sell out and blitz, you potentially leave Torrence on an island. No one wants to see Torrence on an island, least of all G Williams. We didn't have the personnel late to do things like that, maybe. And I think we did start to go a little more vanilla though, I will say that.

As stated, the Patriots will run into problems with this philosophy in the future most likely, if they continue to use it. Ravens on Monday night, maybe?

In the meantime, they are generating ill-will this season. I guess that's good for entertainment, since people will watch to see if they get beaten. Maybe this is the way the Patriots get a little back for being laughingstocks of the league for so many long years. Even as I watch them now I kind of laugh at their ridiculous history until the modern era.

And if you sell out and blitz, you potentially leave Torrence on an island. No one wants to see Torrence on an island, least of all G Williams. We didn't have the personnel late to do things like that, maybe.

What would it hurt already down 38-0? Losing by another 7 points? "Oh no we cant have a blitz! Let's sit back and play the same Cover 2 we've already gotten cooked for 5 touchdowns in...."

And if you sell out and blitz, you potentially leave Torrence on an island. No one wants to see Torrence on an island, least of all G Williams. We didn't have the personnel late to do things like that, maybe.

What would it hurt already down 38-0? Losing by another 7 points? "Oh no we cant have a blitz! Let's sit back and play the same Cover 2 we've already gotten cooked for 5 touchdowns in...."

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I watched that game get out of hand. Where is the spirit of this team? At least Taylor showed passion. Letting the team keep scoring and letting them spike the ball in your face? Sometimes a 15 yard penalty is worth putting someone on their *ss. I wish this team had more spirit, they had their you know what handed to them and worse of all, they acted like they just didn't care. Maybe they don't.

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I watched that game get out of hand. Where is the spirit of this team? At least Taylor showed passion. Letting the team keep scoring and letting them spike the ball in your face? Sometimes a 15 yard penalty is worth putting someone on their *ss. I wish this team had more spirit, they had their you know what handed to them and worse of all, they acted like they just didn't care. Maybe they don't.

Sorry Om, but I agree with Wilbon. I wouldn't advocate going for Brady's knees or a deliberate career threatening injury, but George Allen's teams with Diron Talbert would have knocked the snot out of Brady a few times and rung his bell. You don't have to get sacks, to send a message to the quarterback.

I also remember the old Redskins-Cowboys showdowns in Joe Gibbs era I, with John Riggins and some other Redskin players sending a message that they were going to war, by getting off the bus in Dallas in army battle fatigues. Dallas defensive end Harvey Martin was quoted as saying he saw "a lot of pain" in the upcoming game and someone threw a funeral wreath into the Redskins locker room.

But the Redskins of today are of no comparison. Joe Gibbs and the Redskins of Joe Gibbs era II rarely show any emotion on the field and should join a flag football league. :(

Wilbon wrote that piece for you, old friend. Feel better? :)

My point was that while the frustrated fan in me agrees with him (I'll cop to a few "HIT the mother****er!"s on Sunday), I also recognize that today's NFL---not just Gibbs and the Redskins---is a different league than it was back in day. For a variety of reasons, including the one I noted above.

My guess is there have been similar sentiments and threads on the boards of each team NE has blown out so far this year, none of whom, so far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), have felt compelled to take their frustrations out on the quarterback. Are they all soft, too? Or do they maybe recognize it's a different game today?

Sorry Om, but I agree with Wilbon. I wouldn't advocate going for Brady's knees or a deliberate career threatening injury, but George Allen's teams with Diron Talbert would have knocked the snot out of Brady a few times and rung his bell. You don't have to get sacks, to send a message to the quarterback.

I also remember the old Redskins-Cowboys showdowns in Joe Gibbs era I, with John Riggins and some other Redskin players sending a message that they were going to war, by getting off the bus in Dallas in army battle fatigues. Dallas defensive end Harvey Martin was quoted as saying he saw "a lot of pain" in the upcoming game and someone threw a funeral wreath into the Redskins locker room.

But the Redskins of today are of no comparison. Joe Gibbs and the Redskins of Joe Gibbs era II rarely show any emotion on the field and should join a flag football league. :(

Wilbon wrote that piece for you, old friend. Feel better? :)

My point was that while the frustrated fan in me agrees with him (I'll cop to a few "HIT the mother****er!"s on Sunday), I also recognize that today's NFL---not just Gibbs and the Redskins---is a different league than it was back in day. For a variety of reasons, including the one I noted above.

My guess is there have been similar sentiments and threads on the boards of each team NE has blown out so far this year, none of whom, so far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), have felt compelled to take their frustrations out on the quarterback. Are they all soft, too? Or do they maybe recognize it's a different game today?

My sentiments exactly. I dont know how we let someone just sit there and kick our teeth in and not fight back. Our coaches let it happen and that i have no respect for. i am so pissed and embarrassed right now I still cant get over it. So what JG you didnt want to have your men fight back? we were getting our butts handed it to us..Were you afraid that by sending Landry and taylor on a blitz that they would go deep and make the score 59-7. GTFOH I am disgusted.

My sentiments exactly. I dont know how we let someone just sit there and kick our teeth in and not fight back. Our coaches let it happen and that i have no respect for. i am so pissed and embarrassed right now I still cant get over it. So what JG you didnt want to have your men fight back? we were getting our butts handed it to us..Were you afraid that by sending Landry and taylor on a blitz that they would go deep and make the score 59-7. GTFOH I am disgusted.

As I mentioned in another thread.......no cheap shots should've been (or should be) taken, but there'd be nothing wrong with blitzing.....all within the bounds of the game.

As for the Pats running it up, I think it has less to do with "filmgate" and more to do with blowing a 21-3 lead at Indy last year. Belicheck is pissed the Pats blew that game, and is hell bent on showing everyone that his team should be the SB champ this year, as well as should've been the champ last year.

This Pats-Colts game is gonna be really juicy.

As I mentioned in another thread.......no cheap shots should've been (or should be) taken, but there'd be nothing wrong with blitzing.....all within the bounds of the game.

As for the Pats running it up, I think it has less to do with "filmgate" and more to do with blowing a 21-3 lead at Indy last year. Belicheck is pissed the Pats blew that game, and is hell bent on showing everyone that his team should be the SB champ this year, as well as should've been the champ last year.

This Pats-Colts game is gonna be really juicy.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily argue you blitz at that point.

I think it's possible we lose by a lot more if we started trying to blitz in the way some have suggested. I think down the stretch though, we could have been a bit more creative and try to make it more interesting in terms of their O v our D. When it got out of hand, it looked like we got less creative - but again, our personnel was kind of messed up due to key injuries at LB and CB.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily argue you blitz at that point.

I think it's possible we lose by a lot more if we started trying to blitz in the way some have suggested. I think down the stretch though, we could have been a bit more creative and try to make it more interesting in terms of their O v our D. When it got out of hand, it looked like we got less creative - but again, our personnel was kind of messed up due to key injuries at LB and CB.

The Pats day will come.We got beat and hopefully it was a wake up call.If this team is not passionate the rest of the year after that lost , they are dead.Gibbs should have been MAD.I want to see a passionate , angry team.My God this is our 75th year celebration.We got hit in the mouth and we didnt fight back.Thats my biggest concern.

Perhaps Gibbs and the current team have forgotten the words to our fight song

Hail to the Redskins

Hail Vic-tor-y

Braves on the Warpath

Fight for old Dixie

Scalp 'em, swamp 'em -- We will take 'em big score

Read 'em, weep 'em, touchdown - we want heap more

Fight on, Fight on -- 'Till you have won

Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!

Hail to the Redskins

Hail Vic-tor-y

Braves on the Warpath

Fight for old Dixie

No team should be able to do this to us and get away with it.Next time we play the Pats it should be personal.That ass kicking should have lighted a fire in Joe Gibbs we have not seen in 20 years.Gibbs should have walked right over the Belicheck and slapped him right in the mouth.Gibbs has done more for the NFL than Blelichek ever has.I know Gibbs is about class and respect but sometimes in life...you gonna have to kick some ass.Sunday Gibbs should have sent a message to his team and cold****ed that Som**** right on national TV

The Pats day will come.We got beat and hopefully it was a wake up call.If this team is not passionate the rest of the year after that lost , they are dead.Gibbs should have been MAD.I want to see a passionate , angry team.My God this is our 75th year celebration.We got hit in the mouth and we didnt fight back.Thats my biggest concern.

Perhaps Gibbs and the current team have forgotten the words to our fight song

Hail to the Redskins

Hail Vic-tor-y

Braves on the Warpath

Fight for old Dixie

Scalp 'em, swamp 'em -- We will take 'em big score

Read 'em, weep 'em, touchdown - we want heap more

Fight on, Fight on -- 'Till you have won

Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!

Hail to the Redskins

Hail Vic-tor-y

Braves on the Warpath

Fight for old Dixie

No team should be able to do this to us and get away with it.Next time we play the Pats it should be personal.That ass kicking should have lighted a fire in Joe Gibbs we have not seen in 20 years.Gibbs should have walked right over the Belicheck and slapped him right in the mouth.Gibbs has done more for the NFL than Blelichek ever has.I know Gibbs is about class and respect but sometimes in life...you gonna have to kick some ass.Sunday Gibbs should have sent a message to his team and cold****ed that Som**** right on national TV

I agree with Om, Comissioner asshat would run anybody touching Brady out of the league and ruin their team's season.

You cant live your life in fear of what might happen and definitelty not in football. So you just would rather us sit there and let the Pats have their way with us? You would want to be labled as a coward and soft? Not me I would have sent the house and buried his ass. They werent wooried about us, they went out of their way to kick us while we were down and you want to worry about what the commish would say if we punished Brady?....Thats the difference between our team and the other 31 teams :whippin:

I agree with Om, Comissioner asshat would run anybody touching Brady out of the league and ruin their team's season.

You cant live your life in fear of what might happen and definitelty not in football. So you just would rather us sit there and let the Pats have their way with us? You would want to be labled as a coward and soft? Not me I would have sent the house and buried his ass. They werent wooried about us, they went out of their way to kick us while we were down and you want to worry about what the commish would say if we punished Brady?....Thats the difference between our team and the other 31 teams :whippin:

Archived