Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Gibbs officially lost his magnificent touch?

FanSinceSonnyJ

So what do you guys think? I've been a rabid skins fan for 40 years now. I think the world of Joe Gibbs and was absolutely thrilled when Snyder convinced him to come back.

During Gibbs' first tour with us, there was no one better at making halftime adjustments that were right on the money. Our offense was always playing on par with our defense (under the great direction of Richie Petibon).

Now we continue to have offensive woes after 3 seasons with Gibbs, and what you see in the first half of games is what you will see in the 2nd half despite if it is working or more likely, not working.

If it is not Gibbs, then just where does the blame lie? Wrong players? Doesn't Gibbs have plenty of say-so in roster matters? Is it the assistant coaches (Al Saunders?)? Doesn't Gibbs pick his assistants?

Sorry guys, I'm not seeing any signs that this year's team is any different than what we've seen over the past 3 years - an above average defense coupled with a below average offense. We are a "soft" 4-3 - we haven't really dominated anyone this season other than the Lions. We barely held off the winless Dolphins and the hapless Cards.

I'm a Joe Gibbs diehard fan. He'll get a free ride from me if for nothing else then for what he accomplished under his first tour. Sadly this time around, it just is not working.

Yesterday's game was embarrassing and showed us just how far we have to go to be considered an upper echelon team. Yes, I realize we were playing the Pats, but once again, our offense couldn't accomplish anything. Our defense played just about as bad as our offense.

So what do you guys think? I've been a rabid skins fan for 40 years now. I think the world of Joe Gibbs and was absolutely thrilled when Snyder convinced him to come back.

During Gibbs' first tour with us, there was no one better at making halftime adjustments that were right on the money. Our offense was always playing on par with our defense (under the great direction of Richie Petibon).

Now we continue to have offensive woes after 3 seasons with Gibbs, and what you see in the first half of games is what you will see in the 2nd half despite if it is working or more likely, not working.

If it is not Gibbs, then just where does the blame lie? Wrong players? Doesn't Gibbs have plenty of say-so in roster matters? Is it the assistant coaches (Al Saunders?)? Doesn't Gibbs pick his assistants?

Sorry guys, I'm not seeing any signs that this year's team is any different than what we've seen over the past 3 years - an above average defense coupled with a below average offense. We are a "soft" 4-3 - we haven't really dominated anyone this season other than the Lions. We barely held off the winless Dolphins and the hapless Cards.

I'm a Joe Gibbs diehard fan. He'll get a free ride from me if for nothing else then for what he accomplished under his first tour. Sadly this time around, it just is not working.

Yesterday's game was embarrassing and showed us just how far we have to go to be considered an upper echelon team. Yes, I realize we were playing the Pats, but once again, our offense couldn't accomplish anything. Our defense played just about as bad as our offense.

I'm the same as you man. I LOVE coach Gibbs. I thought he was going to be the answer, but after the Giants game, i officially came out of denial mode and see the reality. Gibbs has definetly lost his touch. NO DOUBT. I definetly think its time for a new coach at the end of the season. We need someone that is firery, someone that will tell the players that they are held accountable. Someone that will discipline this team.

To be honest, im embarassed at the effort yesterday. We should have just forefited the game. Im not as mad about it as the Giants loss, but hey, this team is what it is. Underachieving, and not that good.

I'm the same as you man. I LOVE coach Gibbs. I thought he was going to be the answer, but after the Giants game, i officially came out of denial mode and see the reality. Gibbs has definetly lost his touch. NO DOUBT. I definetly think its time for a new coach at the end of the season. We need someone that is firery, someone that will tell the players that they are held accountable. Someone that will discipline this team.

To be honest, im embarassed at the effort yesterday. We should have just forefited the game. Im not as mad about it as the Giants loss, but hey, this team is what it is. Underachieving, and not that good.

It's the Patriots, and we have significant injuries to our o-line. Do we really need 50 threads saying "X player or x coach has lost it and/or needs to go" ?

No, it's not the Pats. The o-line has caused us problems this year, but we've been bad on offense Gibbs' entire return.

It's the Patriots, and we have significant injuries to our o-line. Do we really need 50 threads saying "X player or x coach has lost it and/or needs to go" ?

No, it's not the Pats. The o-line has caused us problems this year, but we've been bad on offense Gibbs' entire return.

The Redskins under Joe Gibbs I was a coach, a GM and a model plan for success. Gibbs II is a coach, no GM, no plan and no model. It is a different time, it is a different league and this organization is the exact opposite of what it once was. It has little to do with the players and everything to do with trying to make yesterday's philosophy work today.

The Redskins under Joe Gibbs I was a coach, a GM and a model plan for success. Gibbs II is a coach, no GM, no plan and no model. It is a different time, it is a different league and this organization is the exact opposite of what it once was. It has little to do with the players and everything to do with trying to make yesterday's philosophy work today.

i cant argue with any of your points. he has definitely lost his magic touch.

i cant argue with any of your points. he has definitely lost his magic touch.

I've mentioned this so many times before. Here we go again.

Joe Gibbs was hired in 1981. It was Jack Kent Cooke and Bobby Beathard who hired Gibbs. JKC was a great sports owner and Beathard is a gret GM. There was no salary cap or free agency. Joe Theismann, John Riggins, Richie Pettibone and the Defense were already there and in place. Gibbs and the Hoggs were the last two pieces of the puzzle. Gibbs was ONLY the coach.

Joe Gibbs is not everyting and cannot do everything. Gibbs, alone, did not win 3 superbowls. Gibbs, alone, cannot rebuild this franchise.

I've mentioned this so many times before. Here we go again.

Joe Gibbs was hired in 1981. It was Jack Kent Cooke and Bobby Beathard who hired Gibbs. JKC was a great sports owner and Beathard is a gret GM. There was no salary cap or free agency. Joe Theismann, John Riggins, Richie Pettibone and the Defense were already there and in place. Gibbs and the Hoggs were the last two pieces of the puzzle. Gibbs was ONLY the coach.

Joe Gibbs is not everyting and cannot do everything. Gibbs, alone, did not win 3 superbowls. Gibbs, alone, cannot rebuild this franchise.

Up until early this morning I didn't want to say that it's time for Coach Gibbs to go back to NASCAR...but then again:

-- I didn't want to have to hold my 4 year old son still while he got 4 shots this morning

-- I didn't want to get the phone call that my nephew is heading to Iraq next year.

--I didn't want to stand over my brother's casket when he died

I didn't want to go through those things but I did anyway...same with this situation...It's time for Coach Gibbs to go. (I hate that I feel that way but the way this team has looked so far...I'm not sure I believe anymore).

Up until early this morning I didn't want to say that it's time for Coach Gibbs to go back to NASCAR...but then again:

-- I didn't want to have to hold my 4 year old son still while he got 4 shots this morning

-- I didn't want to get the phone call that my nephew is heading to Iraq next year.

--I didn't want to stand over my brother's casket when he died

I didn't want to go through those things but I did anyway...same with this situation...It's time for Coach Gibbs to go. (I hate that I feel that way but the way this team has looked so far...I'm not sure I believe anymore).

What about the Giants?

Or the Packers?

Or almost squandering the game against Arizona?

We had huge leads in all those games, only to just let all of them back in it. Buffalo and Miami both showed more against the Patriots than we did and half of Buffalo's starters are out for the year. They played against NE with their backup QB.

Archived