Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Gibbs officially lost his magnificent touch?

FanSinceSonnyJ

So what do you guys think? I've been a rabid skins fan for 40 years now. I think the world of Joe Gibbs and was absolutely thrilled when Snyder convinced him to come back.

During Gibbs' first tour with us, there was no one better at making halftime adjustments that were right on the money. Our offense was always playing on par with our defense (under the great direction of Richie Petibon).

Now we continue to have offensive woes after 3 seasons with Gibbs, and what you see in the first half of games is what you will see in the 2nd half despite if it is working or more likely, not working.

If it is not Gibbs, then just where does the blame lie? Wrong players? Doesn't Gibbs have plenty of say-so in roster matters? Is it the assistant coaches (Al Saunders?)? Doesn't Gibbs pick his assistants?

Sorry guys, I'm not seeing any signs that this year's team is any different than what we've seen over the past 3 years - an above average defense coupled with a below average offense. We are a "soft" 4-3 - we haven't really dominated anyone this season other than the Lions. We barely held off the winless Dolphins and the hapless Cards.

I'm a Joe Gibbs diehard fan. He'll get a free ride from me if for nothing else then for what he accomplished under his first tour. Sadly this time around, it just is not working.

Yesterday's game was embarrassing and showed us just how far we have to go to be considered an upper echelon team. Yes, I realize we were playing the Pats, but once again, our offense couldn't accomplish anything. Our defense played just about as bad as our offense.

Unfortunately, it is hard to argue with you at this point. I've has similar thougths since the Giants game.....last year.

So what do you guys think? I've been a rabid skins fan for 40 years now. I think the world of Joe Gibbs and was absolutely thrilled when Snyder convinced him to come back.

During Gibbs' first tour with us, there was no one better at making halftime adjustments that were right on the money. Our offense was always playing on par with our defense (under the great direction of Richie Petibon).

Now we continue to have offensive woes after 3 seasons with Gibbs, and what you see in the first half of games is what you will see in the 2nd half despite if it is working or more likely, not working.

If it is not Gibbs, then just where does the blame lie? Wrong players? Doesn't Gibbs have plenty of say-so in roster matters? Is it the assistant coaches (Al Saunders?)? Doesn't Gibbs pick his assistants?

Sorry guys, I'm not seeing any signs that this year's team is any different than what we've seen over the past 3 years - an above average defense coupled with a below average offense. We are a "soft" 4-3 - we haven't really dominated anyone this season other than the Lions. We barely held off the winless Dolphins and the hapless Cards.

I'm a Joe Gibbs diehard fan. He'll get a free ride from me if for nothing else then for what he accomplished under his first tour. Sadly this time around, it just is not working.

Yesterday's game was embarrassing and showed us just how far we have to go to be considered an upper echelon team. Yes, I realize we were playing the Pats, but once again, our offense couldn't accomplish anything. Our defense played just about as bad as our offense.

Unfortunately, it is hard to argue with you at this point. I've has similar thougths since the Giants game.....last year.

Our defense is good enough to win with this year. It's our offense that is this teams problem this year. You put this defense with a top five offense and we are contenders.

You could have used your exact same quote anytime over the past 3 years, with the exception of last season. Our offense has flat out been ineffective under Gibbs II.

I'm not even sure if our D is a top 5 D - they seem to give up big drives at the end of games which probably has more to with them tiring out, having to always be on the field for what seems like about 45 minutes a game because our O is so terrible.

Our defense is good enough to win with this year. It's our offense that is this teams problem this year. You put this defense with a top five offense and we are contenders.

You could have used your exact same quote anytime over the past 3 years, with the exception of last season. Our offense has flat out been ineffective under Gibbs II.

I'm not even sure if our D is a top 5 D - they seem to give up big drives at the end of games which probably has more to with them tiring out, having to always be on the field for what seems like about 45 minutes a game because our O is so terrible.

No, it's not the Pats. The o-line has caused us problems this year, but we've been bad on offense Gibbs' entire return.

2005 we had a good offense, ranked in the top half of the league. 2006 we were 4th in rushing. CP and Moss have both set franchise records here. Mark Brunell set an NFL record here.

No, it's not the Pats. The o-line has caused us problems this year, but we've been bad on offense Gibbs' entire return.

2005 we had a good offense, ranked in the top half of the league. 2006 we were 4th in rushing. CP and Moss have both set franchise records here. Mark Brunell set an NFL record here.

I hear you. It's been knawing at me for the past 12 months, I've finally concluded it's just ain't going to happen this time around. I would so love to be wrong on this one!!!

I hear you. It's been knawing at me for the past 12 months, I've finally concluded it's just ain't going to happen this time around. I would so love to be wrong on this one!!!

You are just seing what many of us outside the beltway have been seeing since his first year back. Gibbs can not adjust to the new style of play in the NFL. Its not the injuries to the offensive line, its not the Patriots, its not the dropped passes, or anything else. We have an inept coach that is too proud to stand aside and let his hand picked Offensive cordinator play call for the team. We have a team president who is too proud to stand aside and hire a GM to pick the players we seek. We have a coach that is too stupid to know better then to go out and say to the public we are the biggest underdog in the history of the league before playing for the losing side of a Redskins team that had its worse loss since 1961. All of the problems on the team from paying for bad FA's, to the play calling, to the miss use of time management, and everything in between rests solely on Joe Gibbs.

Unfortuantly I also think we have an owner that will not fire this same person and will likely stand by another year and let him continue to make mistakes like this. I don't see Snyder removing Gibbs in the offseason, I expect that we will scapegoat Saunders for this instead. Its a damn shame that all of these problems are caused by Gibbs but he will get away with it.

You are just seing what many of us outside the beltway have been seeing since his first year back. Gibbs can not adjust to the new style of play in the NFL. Its not the injuries to the offensive line, its not the Patriots, its not the dropped passes, or anything else. We have an inept coach that is too proud to stand aside and let his hand picked Offensive cordinator play call for the team. We have a team president who is too proud to stand aside and hire a GM to pick the players we seek. We have a coach that is too stupid to know better then to go out and say to the public we are the biggest underdog in the history of the league before playing for the losing side of a Redskins team that had its worse loss since 1961. All of the problems on the team from paying for bad FA's, to the play calling, to the miss use of time management, and everything in between rests solely on Joe Gibbs.

Unfortuantly I also think we have an owner that will not fire this same person and will likely stand by another year and let him continue to make mistakes like this. I don't see Snyder removing Gibbs in the offseason, I expect that we will scapegoat Saunders for this instead. Its a damn shame that all of these problems are caused by Gibbs but he will get away with it.

Your optimism is admirable. However, we were 5-11 last season when we were 4th in rushing. We were what our record was.

CP and Moss have set single season records, get back to me when they surpass the career marks of Monk and Riggins.

Refresh my memory, what record did Mark Brunell set with us? Wasn't he benched for ineffective play?

Your optimism is admirable. However, we were 5-11 last season when we were 4th in rushing. We were what our record was.

CP and Moss have set single season records, get back to me when they surpass the career marks of Monk and Riggins.

Refresh my memory, what record did Mark Brunell set with us? Wasn't he benched for ineffective play?

I'm not ready to speak quite as harshly about Gibbs as you have. However, your points are valid.

I'm not ready to speak quite as harshly about Gibbs as you have. However, your points are valid.

How long did Monk and Riggins play for us? Versus the short tenures of Moss and CP? Does either not playing long take away from the fact that the supposed "utterly clueless and inept offense" has actually produced well? No, it doesn't.

We were 5-11 last season more so because our injury-depleted defense couldn't stop anyone.

Mark Brunell set the record for most consecutive completions in one game. Now he certainly wasn't throwing 50 yard bombs all day, but his record is no easy feat, no matter how you look at it. Brunell was benched at the point when our season was more or less over.

None of your questions/responses mean the accomplishments I listed did not occur. Since they did occur, and are impressive feats, then our offense hasn't been "utterly inept" under Gibbs. Kind of difficult to get full production from players who are injured.

How long did Monk and Riggins play for us? Versus the short tenures of Moss and CP? Does either not playing long take away from the fact that the supposed "utterly clueless and inept offense" has actually produced well? No, it doesn't.

We were 5-11 last season more so because our injury-depleted defense couldn't stop anyone.

Mark Brunell set the record for most consecutive completions in one game. Now he certainly wasn't throwing 50 yard bombs all day, but his record is no easy feat, no matter how you look at it. Brunell was benched at the point when our season was more or less over.

None of your questions/responses mean the accomplishments I listed did not occur. Since they did occur, and are impressive feats, then our offense hasn't been "utterly inept" under Gibbs. Kind of difficult to get full production from players who are injured.

Oh that's right, Brunell completed a bunch of consecutive passes one game - somehow that got lost somewhere in my memory. It was a great accomplishment, but it was a ONE game accomplishment. He went on to be benched for ineffective play.

Moss and CP are good players, not sure if they are still great players at this point. The bottom line is that an offense is suppose to score points and move the ball. We have done a very, very poor job of doing just that under Gibbs II. You can sugarcoat it all you want and talk about some individual accomplishments, but the fact remains our offense has been awful overall.

Oh that's right, Brunell completed a bunch of consecutive passes one game - somehow that got lost somewhere in my memory. It was a great accomplishment, but it was a ONE game accomplishment. He went on to be benched for ineffective play.

Moss and CP are good players, not sure if they are still great players at this point. The bottom line is that an offense is suppose to score points and move the ball. We have done a very, very poor job of doing just that under Gibbs II. You can sugarcoat it all you want and talk about some individual accomplishments, but the fact remains our offense has been awful overall.

Yes, it's clear to see that he doesn't have it any more. I mean he wasn't even angry at that ass whipping and he kept praising the Pats after he jocked them all week long.

Hell. I didn't see too much anger from the players either, so if they don't care then why should we. They got paid for that performance . If I was Snyder I'd make them all come to my office to pick up their game checks. Taylor and Cooley showed heart. Portis, man what the hell has happened???

Archived