Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Gibbs officially lost his magnificent touch?

FanSinceSonnyJ

It's the Patriots, and we have significant injuries to our o-line. Do we really need 50 threads saying "X player or x coach has lost it and/or needs to go" ?

What about the Giants?

Or the Packers?

Or almost squandering the game against Arizona?

We had huge leads in all those games, only to just let all of them back in it. Buffalo and Miami both showed more against the Patriots than we did and half of Buffalo's starters are out for the year. They played against NE with their backup QB.

Gibbs is still a great football mind, but he has lost his aggressiveness. The result of that is a team playing not to lose instead of a team playing to win. The Patriots are showing that no game has to be close if you show confidence in your players and demand execution. That is why the Redskins play down to the level of inferior opponets and get rolled by better opponets.

Al Saunders is very aggressive but Gibbs placed a limiter on him and it shows. Saunders previous body of work suggests that he likes to go after people in a balanced way.

Gibbs is still a great football mind, but he has lost his aggressiveness. The result of that is a team playing not to lose instead of a team playing to win. The Patriots are showing that no game has to be close if you show confidence in your players and demand execution. That is why the Redskins play down to the level of inferior opponets and get rolled by better opponets.

Al Saunders is very aggressive but Gibbs placed a limiter on him and it shows. Saunders previous body of work suggests that he likes to go after people in a balanced way.

If the Redskins had lost 52-28, then this wouldnt be as bad as it is.

But The fact is the D wasnt very impressive, the Qb is an inexperienced fumbler, the Injury Jinx has taken the team by the balls and if they are not careful, this season will spiral out of control and the team could end up 5-11 again.

If the Redskins had lost 52-28, then this wouldnt be as bad as it is.

But The fact is the D wasnt very impressive, the Qb is an inexperienced fumbler, the Injury Jinx has taken the team by the balls and if they are not careful, this season will spiral out of control and the team could end up 5-11 again.

I've mentioned this so many times before. Here we go again.

Joe Gibbs was hired in 1981. It was Jack Kent Cooke and Bobby Beathard who hired Gibbs. JKC was a great sports owner and Beathard is a gret GM. There was no salary cap or free agency. Joe Theismann, John Riggins, Richie Pettibone and the Defense were already there and in place. Gibbs and the Hoggs were the last two pieces of the puzzle. Gibbs was ONLY the coach.

Joe Gibbs is not everyting and cannot do everything. Gibbs, alone, did not win 3 superbowls. Gibbs, alone, cannot rebuild this franchise.

Gee, sorry you are so bothered by having "mentioned this so many times before" and so brilliantly stating the obvious.

I fully understand times have changed, my hope was that Gibbs could adjust to the changes. Unfortunately he has not.

I've mentioned this so many times before. Here we go again.

Joe Gibbs was hired in 1981. It was Jack Kent Cooke and Bobby Beathard who hired Gibbs. JKC was a great sports owner and Beathard is a gret GM. There was no salary cap or free agency. Joe Theismann, John Riggins, Richie Pettibone and the Defense were already there and in place. Gibbs and the Hoggs were the last two pieces of the puzzle. Gibbs was ONLY the coach.

Joe Gibbs is not everyting and cannot do everything. Gibbs, alone, did not win 3 superbowls. Gibbs, alone, cannot rebuild this franchise.

Gee, sorry you are so bothered by having "mentioned this so many times before" and so brilliantly stating the obvious.

I fully understand times have changed, my hope was that Gibbs could adjust to the changes. Unfortunately he has not.

So what do you guys think? I've been a rabid skins fan for 40 years now. I think the world of Joe Gibbs and was absolutely thrilled when Snyder convinced him to come back.

During Gibbs' first tour with us, there was no one better at making halftime adjustments that were right on the money. Our offense was always playing on par with our defense (under the great direction of Richie Petibon).

Now we continue to have offensive woes after 3 seasons with Gibbs, and what you see in the first half of games is what you will see in the 2nd half despite if it is working or more likely, not working.

If it is not Gibbs, then just where does the blame lie? Wrong players? Doesn't Gibbs have plenty of say-so in roster matters? Is it the assistant coaches (Al Saunders?)? Doesn't Gibbs pick his assistants?

Sorry guys, I'm not seeing any signs that this year's team is any different than what we've seen over the past 3 years - an above average defense coupled with a below average offense. We are a "soft" 4-3 - we haven't really dominated anyone this season other than the Lions. We barely held off the winless Dolphins and the hapless Cards.

I'm a Joe Gibbs diehard fan. He'll get a free ride from me if for nothing else then for what he accomplished under his first tour. Sadly this time around, it just is not working.

Yesterday's game was embarrassing and showed us just how far we have to go to be considered an upper echelon team. Yes, I realize we were playing the Pats, but once again, our offense couldn't accomplish anything. Our defense played just about as bad as our offense.

So what do you guys think? I've been a rabid skins fan for 40 years now. I think the world of Joe Gibbs and was absolutely thrilled when Snyder convinced him to come back.

During Gibbs' first tour with us, there was no one better at making halftime adjustments that were right on the money. Our offense was always playing on par with our defense (under the great direction of Richie Petibon).

Now we continue to have offensive woes after 3 seasons with Gibbs, and what you see in the first half of games is what you will see in the 2nd half despite if it is working or more likely, not working.

If it is not Gibbs, then just where does the blame lie? Wrong players? Doesn't Gibbs have plenty of say-so in roster matters? Is it the assistant coaches (Al Saunders?)? Doesn't Gibbs pick his assistants?

Sorry guys, I'm not seeing any signs that this year's team is any different than what we've seen over the past 3 years - an above average defense coupled with a below average offense. We are a "soft" 4-3 - we haven't really dominated anyone this season other than the Lions. We barely held off the winless Dolphins and the hapless Cards.

I'm a Joe Gibbs diehard fan. He'll get a free ride from me if for nothing else then for what he accomplished under his first tour. Sadly this time around, it just is not working.

Yesterday's game was embarrassing and showed us just how far we have to go to be considered an upper echelon team. Yes, I realize we were playing the Pats, but once again, our offense couldn't accomplish anything. Our defense played just about as bad as our offense.

We only have one starter on the o line. Gibbs's mistake was getting Al Saunders to run the offense when he could have done it himself. All it has done is set the Redskins back two seasons. Maybe they'll get a wildcard. But after 2005, I just disagree with the reasoning for hiring Saunders. I get the fact that the Bucs and Seahawks stuffed our offense in the playoffs that year, but we also faced them in the regular season and faired better offensively than in the playoffs.

I just wish Gibbs would dust off his old book of plays and resume control.

We only have one starter on the o line. Gibbs's mistake was getting Al Saunders to run the offense when he could have done it himself. All it has done is set the Redskins back two seasons. Maybe they'll get a wildcard. But after 2005, I just disagree with the reasoning for hiring Saunders. I get the fact that the Bucs and Seahawks stuffed our offense in the playoffs that year, but we also faced them in the regular season and faired better offensively than in the playoffs.

I just wish Gibbs would dust off his old book of plays and resume control.

It's the Patriots, and we have significant injuries to our o-line. Do we really need 50 threads saying "X player or x coach has lost it and/or needs to go" ?

That would explain a loss, however, the score was 52-7!!! It wasn't even close. Your dismissing this hindquarter whipping as a snafu solely because of our OL seems rather naive.

Sorry, many of us are unwilling to dismiss seeing the forest through all those trees. It gives me no pleasure to doubt Joe Gibbs, a HOF coach, but I've seen nothing over the past 3 years that gives me hope that this situation is being turned around.

That would explain a loss, however, the score was 52-7!!! It wasn't even close. Your dismissing this hindquarter whipping as a snafu solely because of our OL seems rather naive.

Sorry, many of us are unwilling to dismiss seeing the forest through all those trees. It gives me no pleasure to doubt Joe Gibbs, a HOF coach, but I've seen nothing over the past 3 years that gives me hope that this situation is being turned around.

I think it is harder NOW than it was in Gibbs1 as back then we had a great GM and we had better players and a owner who did not meddle. We have the so called BEST assistant coaches in the league and our team is still below average. Gibbs just does not seem to have it together this year but he signed a 5 year deal so I would say you have to give him to the end of this year to judge. If we can steal a wild card then I would be happy. I did not think for one second we could hang with the Pats or Indy but if we can get healthy and get some luck we can still make the playoffs as a WC. If we stink it up the rest of the season then JG should hang um up.

I think it is harder NOW than it was in Gibbs1 as back then we had a great GM and we had better players and a owner who did not meddle. We have the so called BEST assistant coaches in the league and our team is still below average. Gibbs just does not seem to have it together this year but he signed a 5 year deal so I would say you have to give him to the end of this year to judge. If we can steal a wild card then I would be happy. I did not think for one second we could hang with the Pats or Indy but if we can get healthy and get some luck we can still make the playoffs as a WC. If we stink it up the rest of the season then JG should hang um up.

There just seems to have been no real progress since he came back. The offense is not much improved since his first season back. The defense looks great one week (or season) and looks average or worse the following. No consistancy on either side of the ball. Sorry, blaming that solely on injuries as some around here are doing, is naive.

A real GM is needed, but doubtful Snyder would ever allow it. Even if we had a real GM, I've come to the conclusion that Gibbs no longer has it. I've been denying it for over 3 years now and waiting for signs that he will get this team clicking, it just ain't happening and all signs point to it not ever happening under his watch. I'd love to be proven wrong on this one....

There just seems to have been no real progress since he came back. The offense is not much improved since his first season back. The defense looks great one week (or season) and looks average or worse the following. No consistancy on either side of the ball. Sorry, blaming that solely on injuries as some around here are doing, is naive.

A real GM is needed, but doubtful Snyder would ever allow it. Even if we had a real GM, I've come to the conclusion that Gibbs no longer has it. I've been denying it for over 3 years now and waiting for signs that he will get this team clicking, it just ain't happening and all signs point to it not ever happening under his watch. I'd love to be proven wrong on this one....

Joe has got to go. I don't remember those good 'ol days. I only see the film. We run the worst, 100% worst play calling on O. He needs to step aside and let somebody else have a shot The D could have played better but they were playing like 35 mins of the whole game, bad things are going to happen. We ran like 8 screens. WHY? WHY WHY? and why isn't ladell playing more. He runs down hill, had one carry for 6 yards then we take him out. We looked terrible but we are what we are, which is a mid level team that might make a wild card run since we gave up the ghost to the giants already...Please go home Gibbs with all respect, please go home cause at least then I can really hate the coach when he sucks like this...

chris

Joe has got to go. I don't remember those good 'ol days. I only see the film. We run the worst, 100% worst play calling on O. He needs to step aside and let somebody else have a shot The D could have played better but they were playing like 35 mins of the whole game, bad things are going to happen. We ran like 8 screens. WHY? WHY WHY? and why isn't ladell playing more. He runs down hill, had one carry for 6 yards then we take him out. We looked terrible but we are what we are, which is a mid level team that might make a wild card run since we gave up the ghost to the giants already...Please go home Gibbs with all respect, please go home cause at least then I can really hate the coach when he sucks like this...

chris

I feel the same way. For the guy that responded with the O-line comment...You can't be serious. My skins were outcoached across the board. I don't feel the players were even put in a position to have sucess regardless of the injuries. Everybody knows that Vrabel goes out for a pass to the flat in goal line situations. No one went with him. ie Marcus Washington. WTF Did they watch film or what?

Everybody knows that Brady will pick apart that soft arse tampa 2 defense yet G. Williams came out with that same crap after halftime. Fletcher was playing too deep so brady abused the intermediate passes in the middle of the field and it oppened up huge holes for the running game. No blitzes and no attempt to try anything different to see how NE would respond. No adjustments what so ever.

The most telling story was on the sidelines. After the NE punt, there was a coach with a clipboard going over the plays with Brady even after already being up 30 some-odd points. Yet when Campbell was on the sideline he's sitting there chatting it up with a teammate. Not a coach in sight breaking down the previous series to get him prepared for the next time the offense sets foot on the field. I love Gibbs for the successes I've been privileged enough to witness in his first stint with the skins.

The oline being hurt is a significant concern but I saw a major contrast in the two teams from a coaching standpoint. I hope this serves as a learning experience.

I feel the same way. For the guy that responded with the O-line comment...You can't be serious. My skins were outcoached across the board. I don't feel the players were even put in a position to have sucess regardless of the injuries. Everybody knows that Vrabel goes out for a pass to the flat in goal line situations. No one went with him. ie Marcus Washington. WTF Did they watch film or what?

Everybody knows that Brady will pick apart that soft arse tampa 2 defense yet G. Williams came out with that same crap after halftime. Fletcher was playing too deep so brady abused the intermediate passes in the middle of the field and it oppened up huge holes for the running game. No blitzes and no attempt to try anything different to see how NE would respond. No adjustments what so ever.

The most telling story was on the sidelines. After the NE punt, there was a coach with a clipboard going over the plays with Brady even after already being up 30 some-odd points. Yet when Campbell was on the sideline he's sitting there chatting it up with a teammate. Not a coach in sight breaking down the previous series to get him prepared for the next time the offense sets foot on the field. I love Gibbs for the successes I've been privileged enough to witness in his first stint with the skins.

The oline being hurt is a significant concern but I saw a major contrast in the two teams from a coaching standpoint. I hope this serves as a learning experience.

Again, most troubling to me is our lack of any type of halftime adjustments during the Gibbs II era. Our opponents seem to make the right adjustments at halftime and hence we let teams like the Packers, Giants, Cards, and Dolphins back into the game in the 2nd half. We simply keep doing the same thing in the 2nd half no matter if it is working or not.

Back in Gibbs I, there was no better team in making halftime adjustments then the Washington Redskins on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball.

Again, most troubling to me is our lack of any type of halftime adjustments during the Gibbs II era. Our opponents seem to make the right adjustments at halftime and hence we let teams like the Packers, Giants, Cards, and Dolphins back into the game in the 2nd half. We simply keep doing the same thing in the 2nd half no matter if it is working or not.

Back in Gibbs I, there was no better team in making halftime adjustments then the Washington Redskins on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball.

Archived