Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Gibbs officially lost his magnificent touch?

FanSinceSonnyJ

Yes, it's clear to see that he doesn't have it any more. I mean he wasn't even angry at that ass whipping and he kept praising the Pats after he jocked them all week long.

Hell. I didn't see too much anger from the players either, so if they don't care then why should we. They got paid for that performance . If I was Snyder I'd make them all come to my office to pick up their game checks. Taylor and Cooley showed heart. Portis, man what the hell has happened???

Yes, it's clear to see that he doesn't have it any more. I mean he wasn't even angry at that ass whipping and he kept praising the Pats after he jocked them all week long.

Hell. I didn't see too much anger from the players either, so if they don't care then why should we. They got paid for that performance . If I was Snyder I'd make them all come to my office to pick up their game checks. Taylor and Cooley showed heart. Portis, man what the hell has happened???

Gibbs has always been quite cordial following a victory or defeat and never publically criticizes his team play, even if it is deserved.

In fairness to Portis, our OL is not getting it done with the run blocking, but I'm getting sick and tired of the OL injury issues being used as an excuse. Seems like Portiss and Betts are getting stuffed as soon as they touch the ball. However, it is obvious that Portis has lost a step. Betts seems to be the better back at this point.

Bottom line, we stunk up the joint yesterday, and were completely embarrassed before a national TV audience...yet again.

Our offense continues to play very poorly.

Gibbs has always been quite cordial following a victory or defeat and never publically criticizes his team play, even if it is deserved.

In fairness to Portis, our OL is not getting it done with the run blocking, but I'm getting sick and tired of the OL injury issues being used as an excuse. Seems like Portiss and Betts are getting stuffed as soon as they touch the ball. However, it is obvious that Portis has lost a step. Betts seems to be the better back at this point.

Bottom line, we stunk up the joint yesterday, and were completely embarrassed before a national TV audience...yet again.

Our offense continues to play very poorly.

I don't see how Gibbs has lost his touch considering the last time he was really coach and calling the offensive plays we went to the playoffs.

Al Saunders has lost his touch. Guess there's a reason KC didn't want him as head coach.

Then add in the fact that we're cursed because the owner is a demon from the pit's of hell :(

I don't see how Gibbs has lost his touch considering the last time he was really coach and calling the offensive plays we went to the playoffs.

Al Saunders has lost his touch. Guess there's a reason KC didn't want him as head coach.

Then add in the fact that we're cursed because the owner is a demon from the pit's of hell :(

We went to into the playoffs on the backs our D. There was nothing spectacular about our O in 2005.

We went to into the playoffs on the backs our D. There was nothing spectacular about our O in 2005.

I agree with the last part. We are cursed with Danny boy at the helm.

I agree with the last part. We are cursed with Danny boy at the helm.

Who is really pulling the strings in DC?

That said, Joe Gibbs has to realize that smash mouth football does not work any more in the NFL. Defenses are too big and too fast now. QB protection and aggressive play calling are signatures of winning teams (see Indy, NE, pittsburgh, Dallas, even Cleveland is 4-3 because they've opened up their offense) and the ability to make adjustments on defense (not just at halftime but on the field) none of which the Redskins have shown the ability to do.

I hope we're not ruining yet another young QB.

Who is really pulling the strings in DC?

That said, Joe Gibbs has to realize that smash mouth football does not work any more in the NFL. Defenses are too big and too fast now. QB protection and aggressive play calling are signatures of winning teams (see Indy, NE, pittsburgh, Dallas, even Cleveland is 4-3 because they've opened up their offense) and the ability to make adjustments on defense (not just at halftime but on the field) none of which the Redskins have shown the ability to do.

I hope we're not ruining yet another young QB.

"No, I have no problem with anything that they did," Gibbs said. "Nothing, no problems from me." - Coach Gibbs, when asked about whether the Patriots ran up the score.

He obviously also had no problem with the Pats dismantling the team even before it got to the point of the score being run up. He looks lost on the sideline in every game, like he needs one of his assitants to tell him what is happening. Also, his "aww shucks, those other guys are real good" mentality is NOT going to work with today's players, who want a coach to be aggresive and confident.

I grew up watching the Redskins and especially loved all the great times in the 80s and early 90s that we put up victories under Gibbs. But he has not brought back the same intangibles he had back in those days. He's the same good man that he was in the 80s, but he is not the same coach, and this isn't the same NFL. I really hope he steps down after this season if he doesn't get things back on track in a hurry.

"No, I have no problem with anything that they did," Gibbs said. "Nothing, no problems from me." - Coach Gibbs, when asked about whether the Patriots ran up the score.

He obviously also had no problem with the Pats dismantling the team even before it got to the point of the score being run up. He looks lost on the sideline in every game, like he needs one of his assitants to tell him what is happening. Also, his "aww shucks, those other guys are real good" mentality is NOT going to work with today's players, who want a coach to be aggresive and confident.

I grew up watching the Redskins and especially loved all the great times in the 80s and early 90s that we put up victories under Gibbs. But he has not brought back the same intangibles he had back in those days. He's the same good man that he was in the 80s, but he is not the same coach, and this isn't the same NFL. I really hope he steps down after this season if he doesn't get things back on track in a hurry.

" Also, his "aww shucks, those other guys are real good" mentality is NOT going to work with today's players, who want a coach to be aggresive and confident.

thats the best quote i've seen in a while because its so true. he's entirely too passive.

" Also, his "aww shucks, those other guys are real good" mentality is NOT going to work with today's players, who want a coach to be aggresive and confident.

thats the best quote i've seen in a while because its so true. he's entirely too passive.

Gibbs couldn't communicate with Al in the first half -- Joe was calling the plays and nothing changed. Because we're running the same damn offense we did before Al got here.

And it's time to give Betts a crack at the starting job. The line is banged up but he hits the hole faster and harder. He hasn't done much in limited action but Portis hasn't done much getting 20 carries a game. Can't hurt.

Gibbs couldn't communicate with Al in the first half -- Joe was calling the plays and nothing changed. Because we're running the same damn offense we did before Al got here.

And it's time to give Betts a crack at the starting job. The line is banged up but he hits the hole faster and harder. He hasn't done much in limited action but Portis hasn't done much getting 20 carries a game. Can't hurt.

I think the more approporiate question is: "Did he ever have a magnificent touch?" He didn't win on scheme before, he won on superior execution. That wasn't him, it was his players. He hasn't shown an ounce of offensive ingenuity in 4 years, and we all know he doesn't do jack on defense (which, interestingly enough, has been the source of all our limited success under Gibbs). That coupled with his inability to even manage the game clock, get plays out on time, think 1-play or more ahead, etc, makes me wonder if he is even qualified for the job.

I think the more approporiate question is: "Did he ever have a magnificent touch?" He didn't win on scheme before, he won on superior execution. That wasn't him, it was his players. He hasn't shown an ounce of offensive ingenuity in 4 years, and we all know he doesn't do jack on defense (which, interestingly enough, has been the source of all our limited success under Gibbs). That coupled with his inability to even manage the game clock, get plays out on time, think 1-play or more ahead, etc, makes me wonder if he is even qualified for the job.

Archived