Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Not another Katrina

SkinsHokieFan

Same happened in Cali. Laws prevented home owners from clearing away fire hazards from their homes, becuase Enviro wackos have made these areas protected as indiginous plantlife and can't be touched without stiff penalty.

I saw a report on this. The "Enviro wackos" as you call them blame global warming for the fires, yet completely are against preventive burning. :doh:

Same happened in Cali. Laws prevented home owners from clearing away fire hazards from their homes, becuase Enviro wackos have made these areas protected as indiginous plantlife and can't be touched without stiff penalty.

I saw a report on this. The "Enviro wackos" as you call them blame global warming for the fires, yet completely are against preventive burning. :doh:

......They(new orleans) knew the chances, they knew it would happen at some point, why were they not prepared??

Comedian Sam Kinison had a line about starving people living in the Dessert

"Why don't you go to WHERE THE FOOD IS?"

Why do you build a city UNDER the water level?

......They(new orleans) knew the chances, they knew it would happen at some point, why were they not prepared??

Comedian Sam Kinison had a line about starving people living in the Dessert

"Why don't you go to WHERE THE FOOD IS?"

Why do you build a city UNDER the water level?

.....The day AFTER the hurricane hit ......

Was the responsibility of the FIRST RESPONDERS

Mayor....Governor

Both Democrats

I am not saying the Feds did a good job with Katrina......

I am saying the City and State Governments did ****

But why gather facts when you can blame Bush for the last Ice Age

.....The day AFTER the hurricane hit ......

Was the responsibility of the FIRST RESPONDERS

Mayor....Governor

Both Democrats

I am not saying the Feds did a good job with Katrina......

I am saying the City and State Governments did ****

But why gather facts when you can blame Bush for the last Ice Age

"I think you missed my point. Look, I'm sorry you had to go through that terrible experience. I was simply saying that claiming righteousness because you were "there" is absurd."

Off Topic, but it sounds exactly what Rudy G is doing

I just copied an pasted this quote, i think its from the OP, anyways its on the first page.

PS... rooting for the RED SOX?!?!?! F HIM and his abuse of 9/11

"I think you missed my point. Look, I'm sorry you had to go through that terrible experience. I was simply saying that claiming righteousness because you were "there" is absurd."

Off Topic, but it sounds exactly what Rudy G is doing

I just copied an pasted this quote, i think its from the OP, anyways its on the first page.

PS... rooting for the RED SOX?!?!?! F HIM and his abuse of 9/11

Look there were mistakes on all levels of governement during katrina. The state and city were not prepared for that type of disaster. How much of that was there blame, who knows but to sit here and scream they were not a reason for the mess you are crazy.

I have worked with counties in setting up disaster recovery situations and the #1 rule in creating a plan is to think the worst and think you will not get help from the government. As a city, county, state etc... you have to do a better job in preparing, and you have to think about the worst, something it was clear they did not do in LA.

Now you have to praise Cali for handling the fires the way they have. To evacuate a million people and fight these fires the way they are shows they have been practicing this for a long time. Arnold is doing and amazing job there and if they ever let someone not born in the us run for president this might be his ticket.

Look there were mistakes on all levels of governement during katrina. The state and city were not prepared for that type of disaster. How much of that was there blame, who knows but to sit here and scream they were not a reason for the mess you are crazy.

I have worked with counties in setting up disaster recovery situations and the #1 rule in creating a plan is to think the worst and think you will not get help from the government. As a city, county, state etc... you have to do a better job in preparing, and you have to think about the worst, something it was clear they did not do in LA.

Now you have to praise Cali for handling the fires the way they have. To evacuate a million people and fight these fires the way they are shows they have been practicing this for a long time. Arnold is doing and amazing job there and if they ever let someone not born in the us run for president this might be his ticket.

Perhaps that was because the initial stories were sensationalistic and turned out to be untrue, not because the media is trying to hide something now? Ya think?

And because all of the roads to the city were cut for several days, and most of the city was entirely under water, and the problems were beyond the ability of a small city to handle? New Orleans is not a big city and it is not a rich city. San Diego is well over twice as large in population, is much richer, is not cut off from aid, and is part of a large state with a lot of resources to direct toward disasters. The two situations are entirely different.

Damn, this subject brings out the most simplistic thinking from people.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Perhaps that was because the initial stories were sensationalistic and turned out to be untrue, not because the media is trying to hide something now? Ya think?

And because all of the roads to the city were cut for several days, and most of the city was entirely under water, and the problems were beyond the ability of a small city to handle? New Orleans is not a big city and it is not a rich city. San Diego is well over twice as large in population, is much richer, is not cut off from aid, and is part of a large state with a lot of resources to direct toward disasters. The two situations are entirely different.

Damn, this subject brings out the most simplistic thinking from people.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

We all saw the video of electronic stores being completely cleaned out. Big Box stores with security guards helping themselves along side the looters. People pushing big screen tvs through the streets. Cops grabbing stolen goods out of looters hands.

It happened. Denying it is asinine.

There was a total breakdown of civility and law.

Instead of working together to make the best of a terrible situation (see San Diego) a portion of the populace of NO took advantage and used the disaster as a reason to break the law.

Why? What was the difference?

We all saw the video of electronic stores being completely cleaned out. Big Box stores with security guards helping themselves along side the looters. People pushing big screen tvs through the streets. Cops grabbing stolen goods out of looters hands.

Instead of working together to make the best of a terrible situation (see San Diego) a portion of the populace of NO took advantage and used the disaster as a reason to break the law.

Link please. That is not how I understand it.

Link please. That is not how I understand it.

I think it has a lot to do with how the evacuations were ordered. In New Orleans, it was basically everyone within a 20-mile radius had to get out, including all the law enforcement. Everyone had to leave at the same time and once everyone was gone, there were no authorities to enforce any kind of order, and because of all the flooding it was impossible to get anything back in.

With the San Diego fires, it is more of a steady retreat than a mass exodus. They have been evacuating neighborhood by neighborhood with specific orders telling people where to go. The authorities have been active participants in the process and police are actually present at the Wal-Mart parking lots where there are tents and trailers and supplies waiting for evacuees.

This is very much a triumph of local government. San Diego had very bad fires a couple years ago, and they implemented one of the most sophisticated emergency plans in the country. They were lucky in some ways that in 2003, the fires were threatening, but they weren't so bad to create a disaster. New Orleans unfortunately got hit very hard the first time ... just like San Diego, I'm sure they'll be ready for the next one.

I think it has a lot to do with how the evacuations were ordered. In New Orleans, it was basically everyone within a 20-mile radius had to get out, including all the law enforcement. Everyone had to leave at the same time and once everyone was gone, there were no authorities to enforce any kind of order, and because of all the flooding it was impossible to get anything back in.

With the San Diego fires, it is more of a steady retreat than a mass exodus. They have been evacuating neighborhood by neighborhood with specific orders telling people where to go. The authorities have been active participants in the process and police are actually present at the Wal-Mart parking lots where there are tents and trailers and supplies waiting for evacuees.

This is very much a triumph of local government. San Diego had very bad fires a couple years ago, and they implemented one of the most sophisticated emergency plans in the country. They were lucky in some ways that in 2003, the fires were threatening, but they weren't so bad to create a disaster. New Orleans unfortunately got hit very hard the first time ... just like San Diego, I'm sure they'll be ready for the next one.

1) The magnitude and immediacy of the disaster was much higher, 2) there was a lack of government leadership and preparation in New Orleans and Louisiana and FEMA alike, 3) the lack of a law enforcement presence, 4) the people of New Orleans are much poorer and more desperate than the affected suburbanites of San Diego, most of whom have already returned to their perfectly intact multimillion dollar homes. All of these are factors.

1) The magnitude and immediacy of the disaster was much higher, 2) there was a lack of government leadership and preparation in New Orleans and Louisiana and FEMA alike, 3) the lack of a law enforcement presence, 4) the people of New Orleans are much poorer and more desperate than the affected suburbanites of San Diego, most of whom have already returned to their perfectly intact multimillion dollar homes. All of these are factors.

I think you're making a grand assumption that A- all of the people affected in NO were poor, and B- all of the people in SD are returning to multimillion dollar homes.

And even if that was true, are you saying that the economic disparity is the reason one set of people committed crimes and the other did not? That's an honest question. I tend to believe it works the other way around. Those with a predisposition to act lawlessly (my word) are more likely to end up poor. And those committed to obeying laws and living within the accepted social norms are more likely to succeed.

I think you're making a grand assumption that A- all of the people affected in NO were poor, and B- all of the people in SD are returning to multimillion dollar homes.

And even if that was true, are you saying that the economic disparity is the reason one set of people committed crimes and the other did not? That's an honest question. I tend to believe it works the other way around. Those with a predisposition to act lawlessly (my word) are more likely to end up poor. And those committed to obeying laws and living within the accepted social norms are more likely to succeed.

I said earlier that it's unfair to compare NO to SD in terms of the response from Govts. Two completely different situations.

However, the actions of the people affected, can and should be compared.

But what would that prove? That people from Southern California are much better behaved in a crisis than people from the Gulf Coast?

I think there is plenty of evidence to the contrary:

White_truck_driver_Reginald_Denny.gif

I think that the people of San Diego were much better managed by the government and have been under the direction of authorities throughout this crisis. The people of New Orleans were abandoned by the authorities and thus acted outside the law. People are people. The situation dicates their behavior.

Archived