Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Al Saunders' Offensive (Passing) Stats by Team KC & WAS (Kind of Long)

#98QBKiller

You may want to throw into those stats where KCs defense ranks those years he was passing the ball so much. That is a major factor if you are trying to control the clock, or score points due to your defense constantly getting scored on.

I don't disagree that we need to spread the ball out more, just realize that most teams with great defenses play somewhat conservative offenses for the most part.

You may want to throw into those stats where KCs defense ranks those years he was passing the ball so much. That is a major factor if you are trying to control the clock, or score points due to your defense constantly getting scored on.

I don't disagree that we need to spread the ball out more, just realize that most teams with great defenses play somewhat conservative offenses for the most part.

There's a difference between playing conservative and what we are doing. I mean its pretty bad when I can sit at home and call most of the plays. Lets see run, run, 3rd and long pass or run, short pass, 3rd and long pass. Lets not forget my favorite play punting. We do a lot of that every game.

There's a difference between playing conservative and what we are doing. I mean its pretty bad when I can sit at home and call most of the plays. Lets see run, run, 3rd and long pass or run, short pass, 3rd and long pass. Lets not forget my favorite play punting. We do a lot of that every game.

Holy... We are on pace for under 380 pass attempts? That is just sad. Especially when you consider that most of our Oline is injured, so running the ball becomes much more difficult, meanwhile we have all the talent available in the skill positions and dont use them.

The more Gibbs quotes you read, the more you find out that Saunders has so little control over this offense, and that Gibbs reigns in the offense once we get any points. Why? Because he thinks the Defense will play lights out. Ive never seen anyone so scared to loose.

Holy... We are on pace for under 380 pass attempts? That is just sad. Especially when you consider that most of our Oline is injured, so running the ball becomes much more difficult, meanwhile we have all the talent available in the skill positions and dont use them.

The more Gibbs quotes you read, the more you find out that Saunders has so little control over this offense, and that Gibbs reigns in the offense once we get any points. Why? Because he thinks the Defense will play lights out. Ive never seen anyone so scared to loose.

If our run game isn't working due to the OL, can't we move the pocket, set up the shotgun, etc. to compensate and go to our passing game? Our defense is one of the best in the NFL and Saunders knows how to orchestrate a very good passing attack without a lot of star players, so why don't we go to the air when the run isn't working instead of forcing the run unsuccessfully?

Interesting post, but I don't think comparisons to the K.C. stats are very useful. Trent Green was a good fit for that system. We don't have anyone on our roster who could run it the way he did.

When Willie Roaf went down in 2005, Al went to more two-TE sets which is the same as Joe's response when his line couldn't protect. So, we might suspect that they don't have conflicting opinions on this strategy.

The shotgun spread makes protection easier, but QBs have to be able to catch, read, and quickly release to the right receiver. Even if Joe and Al wanted to put more spread into the offense, they're limited by Campbell's inexperience.

I think they're going to have to find more ways to complete high percentage passes on first down for ball control. this offense isn't going to be high-octane with the current O line.

If our run game isn't working due to the OL, can't we move the pocket, set up the shotgun, etc. to compensate and go to our passing game? Our defense is one of the best in the NFL and Saunders knows how to orchestrate a very good passing attack without a lot of star players, so why don't we go to the air when the run isn't working instead of forcing the run unsuccessfully?

Interesting post, but I don't think comparisons to the K.C. stats are very useful. Trent Green was a good fit for that system. We don't have anyone on our roster who could run it the way he did.

When Willie Roaf went down in 2005, Al went to more two-TE sets which is the same as Joe's response when his line couldn't protect. So, we might suspect that they don't have conflicting opinions on this strategy.

The shotgun spread makes protection easier, but QBs have to be able to catch, read, and quickly release to the right receiver. Even if Joe and Al wanted to put more spread into the offense, they're limited by Campbell's inexperience.

I think they're going to have to find more ways to complete high percentage passes on first down for ball control. this offense isn't going to be high-octane with the current O line.

Having a backup center in there might be a factor too.

Wow. I'm agreeing with Oldfan again. I need a drink. :)

Having a backup center in there might be a factor too.

Wow. I'm agreeing with Oldfan again. I need a drink. :)

Our conservatism and middle of the pack offensive numbers are due to Gibbs manipulating the game plan, and not the fault of Saunders. If Gibbs would open up the offense more, we could put up 400 yards of offense a week.

As long as you're going to bandy a number out, you might as well go with 4000. Where on Earth are you getting 400 from, with all of the drops we've had?

I think you guys are forgetting that they've gone deep more than a few times, and maybe if even 25% of those weren't dropped or slightly off-target we would be throwing the ball deep more. And going into the last game our OL was in very bad shape. They may be moderately better this coming week, but still nowhere near full strength I think.

Our conservatism and middle of the pack offensive numbers are due to Gibbs manipulating the game plan, and not the fault of Saunders. If Gibbs would open up the offense more, we could put up 400 yards of offense a week.

As long as you're going to bandy a number out, you might as well go with 4000. Where on Earth are you getting 400 from, with all of the drops we've had?

I think you guys are forgetting that they've gone deep more than a few times, and maybe if even 25% of those weren't dropped or slightly off-target we would be throwing the ball deep more. And going into the last game our OL was in very bad shape. They may be moderately better this coming week, but still nowhere near full strength I think.

In 2007 the top ten offenses are their respective ranks for defense

1. New England 4 #1 in passing yards

2. Dallas 7 #4 in passing yards

3. Indy 3 #6 in passing yards

4. Cincy 29 #2 in passing yards

5. Denver 20 #11 in passing yards

6. Pitt 1 #23 in passing yards

7. Cleveland 32 #8 in passing yards

8. Philly 11 #14 in passing yards

9. NY (Giants) 8 #16 in passing yards

10. Houston 21 #5 in passing yards

Of the top 10 offenses 5 have a top 10 defense. Of those five teams 3 have a top 10 ranking in passing yards per game.

Of those 3 teams none are a top 5 rushing team. The colts are #6 the pats are #7 and the boys are #10.

Those three teams are the Pats, Colts and Boys. Guess what? The Boys are #1 in the NFC and the Pats & Colts are #1a and #1b.

So three teams that are best in their respective divisions throw the ball a whole lot. How much?

The colts have rushed the ball 190 times and thrown the ball 202 times.

The pats have rushed the ball 224 times and thrown 232 times.

The boys have rushed 191 and thrown 239 times.

They all throw more than they run yet have a top 10 defense and still throw more.

High passing numbers are not strictly limited to playing from behind. It can also be linked to teams that go for the kill.

*all stats from nfl.com

Of the top 10 offenses 5 have a top 10 defense. Of those five teams 3 have a top 10 ranking in passing yards per game.

Of those 3 teams none are a top 5 rushing team. The colts are #6 the pats are #7 and the boys are #10.

Those three teams are the Pats, Colts and Boys. Guess what? The Boys are #1 in the NFC and the Pats & Colts are #1a and #1b.

So three teams that are best in their respective divisions throw the ball a whole lot. How much?

They all throw more than they run yet have a top 10 defense and still throw more.

High passing numbers are not strictly limited to playing from behind. It can also be linked to teams that go for the kill.

*all stats from nfl.com

*all stats from nfl.com

Bravo. Great post. You will never convince some people on this board, though.

*all stats from nfl.com

Bravo. Great post. You will never convince some people on this board, though.

This really does interest me.

The pass is used very efficiently by the better teams in the NFL. It's not a thing where its either shotgun or under center.

Roll the pocket, do a bootleg do a naked bootleg. Move Campbell around he's actually pretty quick. Let the pass set up the run, we're getting the old MB look 8 in the box and no respect for the pass.

This really does interest me.

The pass is used very efficiently by the better teams in the NFL. It's not a thing where its either shotgun or under center.

Roll the pocket, do a bootleg do a naked bootleg. Move Campbell around he's actually pretty quick. Let the pass set up the run, we're getting the old MB look 8 in the box and no respect for the pass.

Archived