Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Al Saunders' Offensive (Passing) Stats by Team KC & WAS (Kind of Long)

#98QBKiller

Gibbs would point out that the downfield passing the Cardinals did resulted in two interceptions, one of which was returned 50 yards to set up a touchdown, and another that was returned for a TD.

Those types of things are exactly what Gibbs is "afraid of" and I don't blame him.

Thats true but Im not saying we should be chucking every time. All I ask is for a bit more of it...even lining up 3 WR (not Cooley split out) would make for more options down the field (even if JC does check down to a safe route it give a defence more to think about). Last few games (due to OL injuries, i assume) we have not seen many 3 WR sets, I wont even mention 4 since I don't think such a formation is in our playbook at the moment (probably rightfully so at this point).

Thats true but Im not saying we should be chucking every time. All I ask is for a bit more of it...even lining up 3 WR (not Cooley split out) would make for more options down the field (even if JC does check down to a safe route it give a defence more to think about). Last few games (due to OL injuries, i assume) we have not seen many 3 WR sets, I wont even mention 4 since I don't think such a formation is in our playbook at the moment (probably rightfully so at this point).

Yeah, it's *all* about the OL. Gibbs and Saunders have not forgotten how to run insanely aggressive schemes. They're just both painfully aware of how poor our OL is and how young our QB is.

If you remember, Saunders' OL in Kansas City was the best in the league. So was Gibbs' during his first tenure. That's a big, big part of why those offenses were so good.

Our OL is dreadful right now. Couple that fact with a coach who puts such a premium on not turning the ball over, and you have a recipe for a conservative game plan that is rarely high-scoring, and usually frustrating to watch.

Believe me, I'm as frustrated as everyone else. But considering we're 4-2, I'm not as desperate to risk deadly INTs in the hopes of more scoring.

Yeah, it's *all* about the OL. Gibbs and Saunders have not forgotten how to run insanely aggressive schemes. They're just both painfully aware of how poor our OL is and how young our QB is.

If you remember, Saunders' OL in Kansas City was the best in the league. So was Gibbs' during his first tenure. That's a big, big part of why those offenses were so good.

Our OL is dreadful right now. Couple that fact with a coach who puts such a premium on not turning the ball over, and you have a recipe for a conservative game plan that is rarely high-scoring, and usually frustrating to watch.

Believe me, I'm as frustrated as everyone else. But considering we're 4-2, I'm not as desperate to risk deadly INTs in the hopes of more scoring.

Archived