Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Al Saunders' Offensive (Passing) Stats by Team KC & WAS (Kind of Long)

#98QBKiller

I read this morning in the Express that Saunders said that the gameplan that was called this past Sunday was "very conservative." It doesn't sound to me like he's the one calling the plays on offense here.

Here are a few interesting stats from Saunders' KC offenses from 2001-2005:

KC 2001:

Passes thrown: 528

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 6th

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 4th

----------------------------------------------

KC 2002:

Passes thrown: 477

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 12th

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 5th

KC 2003:

Passes thrown: 536

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 4th

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 1st

---------------------------------------------

KC 2004:

Passes thrown: 562

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 3rd

------------------------------------------------

KC 2005:

Passes thrown: 507

-------------------------------------------------

Same stats for KC without Saunders

KC 2006 (No Saunders):

Passes thrown: 450

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 22nd

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 15th

KC 2007 (No Saunders):

Are currently ranked 19th in passing and 28th in total offense

The same stats with us having Saunders as our Offensive Coordinator:

WAS 2006:

Passes thrown: 470

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 23rd

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 14th

---------------------------------------------------

WAS 2007:

Passes thrown: 168 (On pace for 384)

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 27th

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 30th

---------------------------------------------------------

Last year we threw the ball more, (only seven times less than what KC threw it in 2002 under Saunders), and our offense was middle of the pack, mostly fueled by the running game with a healthy OL and Ladell Betts, and was still way worse in passing yards and total offense in that year than KC was.

This year we are throwing the ball a lot less than we did last year and we don't even have our run-game to lean on.

Besides 2002, every year Saunders was in KC, they threw the ball at least 507 times and had a much more successful offense than we've had since who knows when.

The thing that jumps out at me about all of these stats is the fact that KC had a VERY productive running game all of those years with Priest Holmes and/or Larry Johnson and still threw the ball around a lot and didn't try to establish themselves with an identity as a "Rushing Team" or "Passing Team."

People say that the run has to set up the pass or vice versa but a lot of teams are passing a lot and doing it successfully without a major run-game: (Green Bay, Cincinnati, Detroit, Houston).

If our run game isn't working due to the OL, can't we move the pocket, set up the shotgun, etc. to compensate and go to our passing game? Our defense is one of the best in the NFL and Saunders knows how to orchestrate a very good passing attack without a lot of star players, so why don't we go to the air when the run isn't working instead of forcing the run unsuccessfully?

I read this morning in the Express that Saunders said that the gameplan that was called this past Sunday was "very conservative." It doesn't sound to me like he's the one calling the plays on offense here.

Here are a few interesting stats from Saunders' KC offenses from 2001-2005:

KC 2001:

Passes thrown: 528

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 6th

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 4th

KC 2002:

Passes thrown: 477

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 12th

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 5th

KC 2003:

Passes thrown: 536

---------------------------------------------

KC 2004:

Passes thrown: 562

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 3rd

------------------------------------------------

KC 2005:

Passes thrown: 507

-------------------------------------------------

Same stats for KC without Saunders

KC 2006 (No Saunders):

Passes thrown: 450

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 22nd

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 15th

KC 2007 (No Saunders):

Are currently ranked 19th in passing and 28th in total offense

The same stats with us having Saunders as our Offensive Coordinator:

WAS 2006:

Passes thrown: 470

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 23rd

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 14th

---------------------------------------------------

WAS 2007:

Passes thrown: 168 (On pace for 384)

Team Rank in Passing yards on the Season: 27th

Team Rank for Total Offense on the season: 30th

---------------------------------------------------------

Last year we threw the ball more, (only seven times less than what KC threw it in 2002 under Saunders), and our offense was middle of the pack, mostly fueled by the running game with a healthy OL and Ladell Betts, and was still way worse in passing yards and total offense in that year than KC was.

This year we are throwing the ball a lot less than we did last year and we don't even have our run-game to lean on.

Besides 2002, every year Saunders was in KC, they threw the ball at least 507 times and had a much more successful offense than we've had since who knows when.

The thing that jumps out at me about all of these stats is the fact that KC had a VERY productive running game all of those years with Priest Holmes and/or Larry Johnson and still threw the ball around a lot and didn't try to establish themselves with an identity as a "Rushing Team" or "Passing Team."

People say that the run has to set up the pass or vice versa but a lot of teams are passing a lot and doing it successfully without a major run-game: (Green Bay, Cincinnati, Detroit, Houston).

If our run game isn't working due to the OL, can't we move the pocket, set up the shotgun, etc. to compensate and go to our passing game? Our defense is one of the best in the NFL and Saunders knows how to orchestrate a very good passing attack without a lot of star players, so why don't we go to the air when the run isn't working instead of forcing the run unsuccessfully?

I thought I read in a Wash Post article that the OL felt that they were better able to gel in pass protection. Of course, that comment ignores the free pass that Wade gave to the DE to sack the QB. But, seriously if the OL can do pass protection but not the zone blocking yet then the Skins ought to put more of the game on the QB and WRs.

I thought I read in a Wash Post article that the OL felt that they were better able to gel in pass protection. Of course, that comment ignores the free pass that Wade gave to the DE to sack the QB. But, seriously if the OL can do pass protection but not the zone blocking yet then the Skins ought to put more of the game on the QB and WRs.

its pretty much proven in the nfl at this point that the passing game has to dictate the running game. all of the highpowered offenses are pass first/run second. the top 10 offenses this year, the majority of them have a great passing game, and run game second. the only team in the top 10 offense that is a run first team is the steelers, and they throw a ton. what does that tell us?

its pretty much proven in the nfl at this point that the passing game has to dictate the running game. all of the highpowered offenses are pass first/run second. the top 10 offenses this year, the majority of them have a great passing game, and run game second. the only team in the top 10 offense that is a run first team is the steelers, and they throw a ton. what does that tell us?

There are some big differences between KC's offense and ours here in Washington. KC had one of the best offensive lines of all time, they also had a capable and veteran pocket passer. JC is still young so while he may be capable, he doesn't fully have the coach's trust yet. As the health of our line improves, so will the offense. Remember our passing attack hasn't been great but we've been doing it with an awful running game. If we can get our big boys up front healthy and opening holes for Clinton and Ladell, our passing attack will greatly benefit.

There are some big differences between KC's offense and ours here in Washington. KC had one of the best offensive lines of all time, they also had a capable and veteran pocket passer. JC is still young so while he may be capable, he doesn't fully have the coach's trust yet. As the health of our line improves, so will the offense. Remember our passing attack hasn't been great but we've been doing it with an awful running game. If we can get our big boys up front healthy and opening holes for Clinton and Ladell, our passing attack will greatly benefit.

Tells us that there are 10 teams with really good offensive lines.

That OL that Saunders had in KC was probably the best in the NFL. That running attack had a LOT more to do with Will Shields and Willie Roaf than it ever did LJ or Priest.

Right now, we have an OL that is among the 5 worst in the league.

Tells us that there are 10 teams with really good offensive lines.

That OL that Saunders had in KC was probably the best in the NFL. That running attack had a LOT more to do with Will Shields and Willie Roaf than it ever did LJ or Priest.

Right now, we have an OL that is among the 5 worst in the league.

good thread...this should maybe give others the hint that our Offensive woes may be in fact attributed to old man Gibbs.

Uh, huh...because the comparison is really close.

Nevermind that the chiels were starting a 31 yr old veteran instad of a 25 yr. old with 13 NFL starts...Cambell should be just as experienced with throwing to spots, trusting that Blloyd will actually run his route as correctly as Tony Gonzalez.

Or that the KC OL was on par with the Dallas OL as one of the most sustained periods of excellence. With no major injuries for a 4 year period (2000-2004). Jason Fabini and Willie Roaf are close enough, anyway, right?

And forget about the fact that the KC defense never ranked above #18 for the years of 2000-2004, or were in the bottom 4 every year from '02-to '04...it's not like bad defense has to force your team to throw or anything.

But, hey, why let facts get in the way of a good arguement?

good thread...this should maybe give others the hint that our Offensive woes may be in fact attributed to old man Gibbs.

Nevermind that the chiels were starting a 31 yr old veteran instad of a 25 yr. old with 13 NFL starts...Cambell should be just as experienced with throwing to spots, trusting that Blloyd will actually run his route as correctly as Tony Gonzalez.

Or that the KC OL was on par with the Dallas OL as one of the most sustained periods of excellence. With no major injuries for a 4 year period (2000-2004). Jason Fabini and Willie Roaf are close enough, anyway, right?

And forget about the fact that the KC defense never ranked above #18 for the years of 2000-2004, or were in the bottom 4 every year from '02-to '04...it's not like bad defense has to force your team to throw or anything.

Really most to all of your points are bad. First of all Lloyd doesn't even play. So why are you using him to compare to Gonzalez. If you want to use anyone how about Cooley or Randel El. Those two guys see to run the right routes. Lets not forget KC didn't even have any WRs, yet we have Moss Randel El and Cooley(TE). You also say its because of a young QB. Well JC has been fine when given a chance to throw the ball. You can't really tell how good he is when he's only throwing the ball 18 times a game for 95 yards. He has proved that he can throw the ball when given a chance. Then you use the o-line as most of you have been using that. Well the o-line was fine before this year. Matter of fact they have been one of the better lines the last 5 years. So why is it when Gibbs had a healthy line our offense still sucked.

LOL then you use the fact that KC had a bad defense. So your trying to say the only time you need to pass is when your down in a game. Give me a break look at teams like the Colts, Patroits and I hate to say it Dallas. They all are playing to win when they get a lead they don't sit on it like we do. Sorry I agree with the guy that made this thread. Our problem is Gibbs and his old ways. He doesn't have any confidence in his team so he doesn't play to win. He plays not to lose and thats why were always giving up leads in the second half.If Gibbs can wake up we will be fine.If he doesn't get it together he has to go. I love Gibbs he's a great guy and he was a great coach. I'm happy for those people that saw a SB win, but I haven't and I want to see one. So its all about winning now for me not what he did 15 years ago.

Really most to all of your points are bad. First of all Lloyd doesn't even play. So why are you using him to compare to Gonzalez. If you want to use anyone how about Cooley or Randel El. Those two guys see to run the right routes. Lets not forget KC didn't even have any WRs, yet we have Moss Randel El and Cooley(TE). You also say its because of a young QB. Well JC has been fine when given a chance to throw the ball. You can't really tell how good he is when he's only throwing the ball 18 times a game for 95 yards. He has proved that he can throw the ball when given a chance. Then you use the o-line as most of you have been using that. Well the o-line was fine before this year. Matter of fact they have been one of the better lines the last 5 years. So why is it when Gibbs had a healthy line our offense still sucked.

LOL then you use the fact that KC had a bad defense. So your trying to say the only time you need to pass is when your down in a game. Give me a break look at teams like the Colts, Patroits and I hate to say it Dallas. They all are playing to win when they get a lead they don't sit on it like we do. Sorry I agree with the guy that made this thread. Our problem is Gibbs and his old ways. He doesn't have any confidence in his team so he doesn't play to win. He plays not to lose and thats why were always giving up leads in the second half.If Gibbs can wake up we will be fine.If he doesn't get it together he has to go. I love Gibbs he's a great guy and he was a great coach. I'm happy for those people that saw a SB win, but I haven't and I want to see one. So its all about winning now for me not what he did 15 years ago.

You may want to throw into those stats where KCs defense ranks those years he was passing the ball so much. That is a major factor if you are trying to control the clock, or score points due to your defense constantly getting scored on.

I don't disagree that we need to spread the ball out more, just realize that most teams with great defenses play somewhat conservative offenses for the most part.

Archived