Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Gibbs: Redskins are 'biggest underdog in the history of sports'

tr1

"We'll probably be the biggest underdog in the history of sports," coach Joe Gibbs said Monday.

"Napoleon, like anyone can even know that."

-Kip

The coaching staff has been calling the plays the best to their ability based on what they see in practice, and on offense, practices have not been good according to players. You think they're playing not to lose? You think they want close games? C'mon, their future paychecks are weighed heavily by their performance. 4 out of 6 times this season, their playcalling has worked. Despite what happens in the game, the win is what matters. From the first game to the season to the Super Bowl, as long as you win, you're getting the ring.

I do expect the Skins this week to come out and start throwing the ball. Don't expect us to rely heavily on the running game when its going for 2-3 yards per carry, although at times NE has been succeptable to the run. Campbell will come out throwing. This team has nothing to lose, and if we can't go blow for blow with NE then we have no shot. We have to take some chances and just see what happens. Our awesome D will play good, but NE may still be good for 24 points. They haven't faced a D like ours this season, so it'll be interesting to see how we respond on offense.

Do you think it's remotely possible that the coaches came up with a lame game plan for Arizona so that they could have two weeks to focus on NE? I know that coaches aren't supposed to look past teams, but I think it's possible they could have made an exception.

Maybe they're trying to fool Bellicheat into thinking that they're going to run with this look next week. It's a possibility.

I know one thing is certain. GW can't expect to play that Tampa 2 defense and beat the Patriots.

Do you think it's remotely possible that the coaches came up with a lame game plan for Arizona so that they could have two weeks to focus on NE? I know that coaches aren't supposed to look past teams, but I think it's possible they could have made an exception.

Maybe they're trying to fool Bellicheat into thinking that they're going to run with this look next week. It's a possibility.

I know one thing is certain. GW can't expect to play that Tampa 2 defense and beat the Patriots.

I have a bad feeling Jason will be running for his life all day.

BadCheck knows the one way we can hurt them, and he will do everything to take it away from us.

Joe Gibbs said Monday. " We're going to struggle hard."
I know the Patriots are tough, I get that. But how pathetic is it when you're own coach is basically saying he's leading you to the slaughter?

Does he honestly expect the guys to play their hearts out when he doesn't think they stand a chance to begin with?

If they come out and don't play hard, and don't have a chance of winning the entire way through, I blame Gibbs. I don't think he's going to prepare to win, I believe he's preparing to not lose by 40 points. It's pathetic, horrible motivator.

I hope if they lose, it is a slaughter, just so they can rub it in his face that not only can't he motivate guys to win, his gameplan even sucks when it's set up to lose.

That would be extremely retarded. It's more important to beat the Cardinals than it is to beat the Patriots. The Cardinals are a conference opponent, one that could figure into the wildcard race, so you can't over look them to plan for an AFC opponent.

Any coaching staff that does that should be tossed out on their asses. And with all of Gibbs faults that have been on display since his return, I don't think that would be one of them.

Is it me or does Joe Gibbs sound like a French General just before a battle
lol at gibbs not even having confidence in his own team. truly sad to say "were going to struggle hard". nice confidence booster for our guys huh?
how pathetic is it when you're own coach is basically saying he's leading you to the slaughter?

The pathetic part is how so many here simply cannot grasp the concepts of self deprecation, modesty, and respect.

The players understand what he's saying. Most fans understand what he's saying. Hell, my CAT understands what he's saying.

Silly ass whiny children have a hard time with it though.

I don't think he means "struggle" in the same way you guys think he means it. I think he means it to be synonymous with "fight" in this instance.

See http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/struggle, particularly the first two definitions:

1. to contend with an adversary or opposing force.

2. to contend resolutely with a task, problem, etc.; strive: to struggle for existence.

It's typically used in the sense of the fourth definition,

4. (of athletes and competitors) to be coping with inability to perform well or to win; contend with difficulty: After struggling for the whole month of June, he suddenly caught fire and raised his batting average 30 points.

but that doesn't really make sense in this context.

Sorry for the vocabulary lesson. :D

lol at gibbs not even having confidence in his own team. truly sad to say "were going to struggle hard". nice confidence booster for our guys huh?

You completely missed the point. Gibbs is a master of the underdog role. His statements are designed to make NE overconfident and let their guard down. Its only human nature that when everyone is telling you that you are so much better than your opponent you will eventually start to believe it and lose focus. Also, when the press buys into it, and all the disrespect starts flying, that is when our guys get insulted and fired up!

I've been watching the Redskins forever and this is the best setup I've ever seen. What happens this week could become legendary!

The top receiver is Antwaan Randle El, whose 23 receptions ties him for 50th in the league. Campbell, who threw for 95 yards Sunday and hasn't really been turned loose by the coaching staff, has a 78.5 rating that ranks him 25th among quarterbacks.

You have to love articles that only present one side of the equation. Although El may be 50th in "receptions" he is also 3rd in the league at average per catch at 18.7.....

You completely missed the point. Gibbs is a master of the underdog role. His statements are designed to make NE overconfident and let their guard down. Its only human nature that when everyone is telling you that you are so much better than your opponent you will eventually start to believe it and lose focus. Also, when the press buys into it, and all the disrespect starts flying, that is when our guys get insulted and fired up!

I've been watching the Redskins forever and this is the best setup I've ever seen. What happens this week could become legendary!

Your right, Gibbs as ALWAYS done this, and it's always worked for him. I guess he would challenge his players with even his own doubts. But that was a different team, a team that was used to winning, a team that could play with over confidence. It's my opinion that this team needs confidence, they are different. I'd like to see the Coach tell the world how good these guys can be. Different teams different motivations. Hopefully this team responds by saying lets show them all, instead of maybe were not very good..

Joe Gibbs always talk up the opposition. Don't worry we got this. We are winning this Sunday, that you can take to the bank.

Hahaha, I love Gibbs. He's lighting a fire under his team's rear. Underdogs train harder and play with intensity.

I don't know if it'll be enough to beat the Patriots (their offense really is as good as advertised), but I think the Skins will leave it out on the field on Sunday. Can't wait.

Gibbs is a master of the underdog role. His statements are designed to make NE overconfident and let their guard down. Its only human nature that when everyone is telling you that you are so much better than your opponent you will eventually start to believe it and lose focus. Also, when the press buys into it, and all the disrespect starts flying, that is when our guys get insulted and fired up!

You are absolutely correct! This is vintage Gibbs Psychological Warfare 101.

I don't know if we can beat NE because they look like a great team to me but, Skins fans, you don't want to miss this game. I've seen this type of situation before and, win or lose, you will see a fired up Skins team on Sunday.

Believe me, somebody is going to get jacked up by the Skins in this game!

I think this team can win. If I was to make a prediction, I say we lose a close one, but make it exciting. I'm just afraid the NFL won't let us win. They want to promote the ultimate battle of unbeatens between the Colts and Pats. The Redskins winning may effect the ratings of that game.

People claiming to KNOW that we are going to win are just crackheads. They might be able to keep it close for most of the game but the Patriots don't stop when they are up 10-14 points. They will put the game away with Campbell back there running for his life in the 2nd half.

Archived