Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Gibbs: Redskins are 'biggest underdog in the history of sports'

tr1

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-10-23-2882128905_x.htm

By Joseph White, AP Sports Writer

ASHBURN, Va. — Clinton Portis is having the worst stretch of his career. Santana Moss has a total of 8 yards receiving in his last two games. Jason Campbell put up the kind of numbers Sunday that had fans screaming for Mark Brunell's benching three years ago.

The Washington Redskins had barely enough offense to beat the Arizona Cardinals. That kind of output won't do next week against the juggernaut otherwise known as the New England Patriots.

"We'll probably be the biggest underdog in the history of sports," coach Joe Gibbs said Monday. "Has anything held up against them? Do you have a game plan that will work against them? If you do, leave it here. Because I don't think anybody else has got one right now. We're going to struggle hard."

The Redskins produced a tepid 160 yards in their 21-19 win over the Cardinals. Once again, the offense kept going three-and-out while trying to protect a big second-half lead. Washington and Buffalo remain the only teams without a touchdown pass to a wide receiver this season. In fact, Campbell has fewer TD passes on the season (five) than New England's Tom Brady had Sunday (six).

"Their quarterback has thrown for 27 touchdowns, and we don't even have 27 touchdowns," Portis said. "We've just got to find a way to exploit our talent."

The Redskins have scored only 14 touchdowns this season, and Gibbs' idea of exploiting the talent on Sunday was to call what assistant coach Al Saunders called "a very conservative game plan" and let the defense do the rest.

"I really felt like the defense was going to have a dominant day," Gibbs said, "so it kind of affected some of the things we were going to do on offense."

So instead of coming up with creative ways to overcome injuries to the offensive line, Gibbs and Saunders stuck with a running game that went nowhere and a passing game that included only one downfield completion.

"Right now," Saunders said, "the strength of our football team is our defense."

No argument there. Portis, still trying to find his legs after missing all of preseason, hasn't broken 100 yards in 11 straight games. He's averaging only 3.9 yards per carry, well below his career average. The top receiver is Antwaan Randle El, whose 23 receptions ties him for 50th in the league. Campbell, who threw for 95 yards Sunday and hasn't really been turned loose by the coaching staff, has a 78.5 rating that ranks him 25th among quarterbacks.

Now they have to find a way to keep up with the Patriots (7-0), who have scored at least 34 points in every game. The Redskins defense, although ranked No. 1 in the NFC, can't win this game alone.

you cut out the best part...

"We want to get big plays down the field," Gibbs said. "We talk about that all the time. It's been a big negative for us."

Am I hearing this right? Gibbs saying we need to open up and make big plays down the field?!?!

OH MY SD)0u8d82310487*$&*(@#&*(#@&*@#$)

JC has been playing very well all year and the tip INT was just a really good play by the defensive lineman. If Cooley catches a pass here or Wade makes a block there then maybe we could have sustained a drivem or two. And I love how when you are missing 3/5s of you starting OL, they say that the running back hasn't found his legs. Pucillo was getting blown up in the middle by Darnell Dockett and so was Fabini for that matter. Portis is running fine. We just need Rabach back and for Fabini to play like a true Guard instead of a converted Right Tackle. (Man, I can't wait to have Randy Thomas back late in the season)

I really hope JG is just buttering up the Patriots cause he can't possibly believe that or else why show up. Our D is the best D the Patriots will have seen all year. We will have Marcus Washington and Casey Rabach back this week and I expect Moss or ARE to beat somebody deep. We haven't blitzed all season so the Patriots can't even prepare for what we will throw at them this week. Our front 4 has been playing so well and our back 7 is so sick that we haven't really needed to blitz. WE WILL BLITZ this week. The only guy that can beat us is Brady. He has been getting college football time back there to throw the ball. That can't happen in order for us to win. Expect a healthy dose of Maroney and Kevin Faulk once we stifle their passing game and then enter Rocky and London. This game will be won between our O and their D which happens to be susceptible to the run. I love it! We will run the ball, win the time of possession (keeping the Patriots O off the field) and beat them with the playaction. I like Cooley against Vrabel or Brushchi. We have the tools to beat this team and I hope that is what JG is telling our team privately. I know I am being a homer but I really believe that we will SHOCK THE WORLD on Sunday.

"We want to get big plays down the field," Gibbs said. "We talk about that all the time. It's been a big negative for us."

Am I hearing this right? Gibbs saying we need to open up and make big plays down the field?!?!

Frankly, if we have a chance on Sunday, it'll be because of an improved running game. The Pats are vulnerable to the run and passes to the TE...two of our strengths IF we have a healthy line.

Something really sounds fishy here. I think Gibbs and Saunders have something up their sleeves. They rested a couple guys last week. It almost bit em in the azz. But I think they wanted to take their big shot this week.

So I doubt they'll be conservative this week. I'd bet anything that Gibbs lets Saunders throw the every play he can possibly think of at em this week. Also, wouldn't surprise me at all if we upset them. We got nothing to loose here. And it would be a good test to see how we measure up with the best. This could be one for the ages!

Frankly, if we have a chance on Sunday, it'll be because of an improved running game. The Pats are vulnerable to the run and passes to the TE...two of our strengths IF we have a healthy line.

The trend isn't encouraging. There is a definite trend of lower yards per carry. I would say that the offensive line injuries are the biggest culprit. At this point I don't think we will have a healthy line until next year.

JESUS HE NEEDS TO DO IT ALREADY THEN!!! He's waited 6 games too long...

The Patriot's probably have the best offensive line in football. They also have the best blocking TE to ever play the game IMO in Kyle Brady. I don't see us getting pressure on Brady with only four, and if we do blitz then he'll kill us because he has Moss, Welker in the slot, Stallworth and Watson out there and all are big-time offensive threats.

If Carlos and Smoot are healed, then I would agree this will be the best secondary Brady has faced. But, how will this matter if Brady has all day to throw, which he very likely will? It's all about matchups and we like the rest of the NFL simply do not match up well against them at all IMO. I don't see any weakness with this team, and if it's there, it's likely subtle and something you can count on Bill Belichick accounting for and correcting.

Oh yeah, if that weren't bad enough, the entire team and their coach are playing with a boulder sized chip on their shoulders because some idiots out there are questioning the validity of their record. They're, in fact, systematically destroying each team they face.

The Patriot's probably have the best offensive line in football. They also have the best blocking TE to ever play the game IMO in Kyle Brady.

Uh um, not to be too much of a homer, but this is a Redskins board. Does the name Don Warren ring a bell? If not you might want to ask guys like LT, Reggie White, etc. about him.

If we can get the running game going and keep Brady off the field (which is highly unlikely) then we might have a chance. The defense can't keep doing this everygame, the offense has to hold up their end of the bargain. I know the OLine is hurt, but AS and Joe got to cook up something marvelous and the guys have to make plays.

That's classic Gibbs. He loves games where we are the underdog. Seems to thrive on it.

In fact, historically, I believe we've had good, competitive games after Gibbs has gone out of his way to praise an opponent this glowingly.

Something really sounds fishy here. I think Gibbs and Saunders have something up their sleeves. They rested a couple guys last week. It almost bit em in the azz. But I think they wanted to take their big shot this week.

So I doubt they'll be conservative this week. I'd bet anything that Gibbs lets Saunders throw the every play he can possibly think of at em this week. Also, wouldn't surprise me at all if we upset them. We got nothing to loose here. And it would be a good test to see how we measure up with the best. This could be one for the ages!

Quoted for Point!

I'm thinking the same thing. We will upset them this Sunday. I'm one of the believers who think we will beat them. I dont care how many TD's Brady has. I'm saying we fluster Brady(FYI...he hates to get his jersey dirty), throw different coverages at him. I want us to have him throw 3 interceptions on Sunday. But overall, we will win.

Well we obviously don't have a healthy line........but IF we can somehow manage a consistent running game to rest the 'D', make the game shorter and actually score periodically, we have a shot. I hate even thinking like an underdog but it is what it is. :logo:

Well everything is pointing to New England and it should no question about it. Gibbs do like these type of situations where he is an overwhelming underdog such is the case in this game. Not saying they will win but I think you could possibly see them play a game that the outside world didn't think they could play.

Archived