Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

American Gangster

EvoSkins

I saw an advance screening of Thursday night at the Charles in Baltimore and it was probably the best film I have seen all year. Its about the rise and eventual fall of Frank Lucas, based off a true story. Denzel is amazing and should win the Oscar for his role as Frank Lucas. Coming from someone who says that he does not like to play bad characters because they don't serve as good examples to young black people, this role will mostly likely get him his second Oscar as a bad guy (Training Day being his first. Russell Crowe is also very good but is mostly a supporting character. Ridley Scott, director of Balck Hawk Down, Gladiator, and Bladerunner, directs and does a masterful job.

The film should be a contender for the Best Film Oscar and it great. Its a little long at 2 hours and 30 minutes, but worth it. Some of the things Denzel does is amazing. I would highly recommend it.

This was a really good movie and agree with the OP that Washington and the movie should be contenders. Definitely one of the best of the year for me.

Saw this interesting tidbit on on imdb:

Denzel Washington spent time with Frank Lucas, his real-life alter ego in this film. As a sign of gratitude, Washington bought Lucas a Rolls-Royce after filming wrapped.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765429/trivia

This was a really good movie and agree with the OP that Washington and the movie should be contenders. Definitely one of the best of the year for me.

Saw this interesting tidbit on on imdb:

Denzel Washington spent time with Frank Lucas, his real-life alter ego in this film. As a sign of gratitude, Washington bought Lucas a Rolls-Royce after filming wrapped.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765429/trivia

Cooked Crack: do u have a link to the copy of the movie.....

Yea i watched American Gangstar on BET and saw the episode with Melvin Williams from Bmore, the head of heroin trade in Bmore, and the man behind the wire......Great episode and while Williams is a criminal ......I was impressed by the way he operated. Doesn't do drugs or drink, didnt carry a weapon, and never actually touched the drugs.....He was the mover and shaker and he got stuff to move.

Denzel is the man.....He was amazing in Glory and should of won an award for that. However he was totally screwed in the Hurricane as his portral of Ruben Carter was amazing and an excellent movie. I also loved him in Training Day......Especially with that King Kong line and the scene where he makes Ethan Hawk smoke the bowl in the car.

Cooked Crack: do u have a link to the copy of the movie.....

Yea i watched American Gangstar on BET and saw the episode with Melvin Williams from Bmore, the head of heroin trade in Bmore, and the man behind the wire......Great episode and while Williams is a criminal ......I was impressed by the way he operated. Doesn't do drugs or drink, didnt carry a weapon, and never actually touched the drugs.....He was the mover and shaker and he got stuff to move.

Denzel is the man.....He was amazing in Glory and should of won an award for that. However he was totally screwed in the Hurricane as his portral of Ruben Carter was amazing and an excellent movie. I also loved him in Training Day......Especially with that King Kong line and the scene where he makes Ethan Hawk smoke the bowl in the car.

Guest sith lord

One of the few movies this year that really excites me. I will be going next Friday. And if the movie is good, I wouldn't care if it was 4 hours.

Guest sith lord

One of the few movies this year that really excites me. I will be going next Friday. And if the movie is good, I wouldn't care if it was 4 hours.

Does Scott glorify Frank Lucas? Or does he portray him as the murdering scum that he was?

On BET they have a series called American Gangster (good show), they profiled Lucas in the first season of the series and the man was SCUM!

They're all SCUM.But we as Americans are fascinated by crime bosses.

Hell a few of the crimanals on American Gangster the tv series I've run into on some occasions.

Lucas had alot of GI's in on the smuggling from Vietnam.Believe that, and don't think the rise of violent crime now and increase opium from Afghanistan aren't related.

Does Scott glorify Frank Lucas? Or does he portray him as the murdering scum that he was?

On BET they have a series called American Gangster (good show), they profiled Lucas in the first season of the series and the man was SCUM!

They're all SCUM.But we as Americans are fascinated by crime bosses.

Hell a few of the crimanals on American Gangster the tv series I've run into on some occasions.

Lucas had alot of GI's in on the smuggling from Vietnam.Believe that, and don't think the rise of violent crime now and increase opium from Afghanistan aren't related.

Denzel's acting is just about always the same...but I still love his work. The one movie that disappointed me was "Inside Man". I just don't think it was done that well. But hell, I think Fallen is one of his movies that really never got a whole lot of press that I liked. I'll definitely watch American Gangster.

Archived