Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

American Gangster

EvoSkins

Denzel's acting is just about always the same...but I still love his work. The one movie that disappointed me was "Inside Man". I just don't think it was done that well. But hell, I think Fallen is one of his movies that really never got a whole lot of press that I liked. I'll definitely watch American Gangster.

I just saw a free advance screening today on campus...really, really, really good.

Spaceman Spiff put it best: captivating. Anytime Denzel's on the screen you're completely drawn in, that shouldn't surprise anyone obviously, but this is probably one of his best roles yet. And Russell Crowe is no slouch either.

My only complaints would be the graphic scenes of people taking the drugs since needles freak me out, and I would've enjoyed it if Common had some more screen time, both tiny personal things though. Great movie, one of the best I've seen all year, pretty much everyone should see it.

I wonder why so many bootlegs of this film is out there? I mean nice ,clear copies.
Interesting you'd say that. My roommates and I were just talking about that- we saw the free advanced screening and thought that was a pretty good deal, but come to find out, a lot of people we know already have copies of it on DVD that are crystal clear quality. Somehow this movie has already been bootlegged to death unlike any other movie I can remember.

Interesting you'd say that. My roommates and I were just talking about that- we saw the free advanced screening and thought that was a pretty good deal, but come to find out, a lot of people we know already have copies of it on DVD that are crystal clear quality. Somehow this movie has already been bootlegged to death unlike any other movie I can remember.

Where....can you get these Dvds? :)

I wouldn't really say he was a punk. Nor did he call himself "Superfly", from what I understand. It was a name given to him on the streets, same as Nicky Barnes was called "Mr. Untouchable" by the press.

I *just* last night watched the "American Gangsters" episode of the two of them on the History channel (I think it was the History channel). Very interesting stuff and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this movie.

I read that copies were sent to members who vote for the Academy Awards.Thus the quality.

Not to give too much away,but a main character in the film played by a Academy Award winner supposedly has a son who owns a major major major niteclub in DC.:2cents:

Good movie, saw it earlier today.

Word is, Jay Z might have been behind those bootlegs getting out because he had been wanting the role of Lucas for years and then when it was clear he wasn't getting it, thought he could at least do the soundtrack. When that fell through (or it was clear they were jerkin' him) he decided to do a 'concept album.' Not sure if it's true but think of all the movies that have been out that have NOT been bootlegged on this level. Someone doesn't want it do well in the box office.

Here are some links, including the New York magazine article that is the basis of the film. Some notes about historical liberties taken by the filmmakers: 1) Lucas dated Billie Mays, Willie Mays stepdaughter 2) Lucas WAS flamboyant. It's like they split his brother and him. He was actually "super fly" and filmed (but never released) the first blaxploitation flick where he played himself. 3) Unlike the movie, he doesn't seem obsessed with living a particular code, really. Not like his predecessor Bumpy Johnson.

http://nymag.com/nymag/features/3649/index.html

http://panachereport.com/channels/black_underworld/index.html

Guest sith lord
Good movie, saw it earlier today.

Word is, Jay Z might have been behind those bootlegs getting out because he had been wanting the role of Lucas for years and then when it was clear he wasn't getting it, thought he could at least do the soundtrack. When that fell through (or it was clear they were jerkin' him) he decided to do a 'concept album.' Not sure if it's true but think of all the movies that have been out that have NOT been bootlegged on this level. Someone doesn't want it do well in the box office.

Here are some links, including the New York magazine article that is the basis of the film. Some notes about historical liberties taken by the filmmakers: 1) Lucas dated Billie Mays, Willie Mays stepdaughter 2) Lucas WAS flamboyant. It's like they split his brother and him. He was actually "super fly" and filmed (but never released) the first blaxploitation flick where he played himself. 3) Unlike the movie, he doesn't seem obsessed with living a particular code, really. Not like his predecessor Bumpy Johnson.

http://nymag.com/nymag/features/3649/index.html

http://panachereport.com/channels/black_underworld/index.html

Very interesting if it's Jay-Z who responsible. I have heard that these bootlegs are the best quality ever. If it is Jay-Z, I hope he's caught.

Very interesting if it's Jay-Z who responsible. I have heard that these bootlegs are the best quality ever. If it is Jay-Z, I hope he's caught.

Maybe Jay-Z like 10-15 years ago would have done that, but he seems to have matured, smarter, wiser. But you never know...

The streaming version I saw was amazing quality, definitely.

I'm sure it won't hurt box office sales though.

Archived