Extremeskins

AZ: Cards to sign Tim Hasselbeck

Veretax

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/1014cardsnb1015.html

Cards to sign Tim Hasselbeck

Kent Somers and Jason P. Skoda

The Arizona Republic

Oct. 14, 2007 11:03 PM

Even before Kurt Warner suffered an elbow injury Sunday, the Cardinals were expected to sign quarterback Tim Hasselbeck as a backup early this week.

Now, depending upon Warner's prognosis, the club could be in the market for another quarterback.

Tim Rattay is expected to get his first start for the Cardinals next week in Washington, and then the Cardinals have an off week.

Warner will undergo an MRI exam today, and the results could determine the team's interest in bringing in another quarterback.

After the game, Warner said he had a torn ligament but added that surgery had not been discussed.

"We'll see the extent of it and see what we can do as far as getting me back as soon as possible," he said.

Limping off

Warner wasn't the only Cardinals player to suffering a potential significant injury. Inside linebacker Karlos Dansby suffered a sprained left knee, and backup safety Aaron Francisco suffered a sprained right knee.

Dansby left the game in the first quarter and was replaced by Monty Beisel, who led the Cardinals with nine tackles.

Dansby and Francisco will undergo MRI exams today. Strong safety Adrian Wilson suffered a hamstring strain and will be evaluated today.

Pinned down

The Cardinals were stuck with poor field position for much of the game. Four possessions started inside their 12-yard line.

"We were backed up a little bit, but that's our own fault," center Al Johnson said. "The defense did a good job. You can't leave your defense out there that long, for that many plays."

Losing Warner hurt, Johnson said, because it took the team's no-huddle, or "Texas," package out of the game, too.

The no-huddle has "really made the difference in every one of the games, even the losses," Johnson said.

Not that old

Vinny Testaverde became the third-oldest quarterback to start an NFL game at 43 years, 335 days, behind Steve DeBerg (44 years, 279 days) and Warren Moon (44 years, 8 days).

He is one up on them in that he is the oldest to win.

Where is it?

Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers picked up 1 1/2 sacks, his first of the season, and was involved in the play in which Warner was injured. They both dove for the loose ball, with Peppers landing on Warner's left arm.

"I thought he got (the ball) off, and I was looking downfield," said Peppers, who finished with seven tackles. "Then I noticed everyone was looking at me. So I turned around and saw it was on the ground."

Road warriors

Carolina is 4-0 on the road and 0-2 at home.

"It's nice we can win somewhere," Carolina coach John Fox said. "The ones on the road count, too."

Extra points

Edgerrin James' 23-yard touchdown run was his longest in more than three years.

• Nose tackle Alan Branch, the Cardinals' second-round draft pick, was active for the first time this season. He did not make a tackle, according to the game stats.

Tim Hasselbeck is probably a better QB than Rattay, but that will not make their game against us any easier. This has never been more true before than it is now:

The only team that can beat the Redskins this coming weekend is the Redskins. A properly played game is a guaranteed W.

:applause: agreed....well, except maybe the Colts and Pats...:silly:

hmmm.....this article http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/99723 says they released DE Quintin Moses to make room for Hasselbeck. Wonder if we could bring him in.
I caught that! He was the first player selected in the third round of this years draft. He is known for his pass rush ability which sounds great.

But buyer beware, he lacks competitive drive and has now been released by the Raiders and the Cards.

Archived