Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis and his fumbles

Drunken Master III

If you know football then you know why Portis is fumbling. The coaching staff has to know the reason. Portis has been holding the ball in the wrong arm. As a running back, when you run to the left the ball needs to be in your left arm and vice versa. You expose the ball to the defenders when your carry the ball in the inside arm. The coaches need to get this straight.

If you know football then you know why Portis is fumbling. The coaching staff has to know the reason. Portis has been holding the ball in the wrong arm. As a running back, when you run to the left the ball needs to be in your left arm and vice versa. You expose the ball to the defenders when your carry the ball in the inside arm. The coaches need to get this straight.

Agreed, add the fact that he holds the football like a roll of bread and THEN switches it up and holds it in one arm is even scarier. He definitely needs to work on the way he holds the ball at all times.

We need to shelf Portis and let him get healthy and run Betts for as long as we can. When he goes down we can bring a healthy Portis back in.

Agreed. The dude is still fast and seems to hit the hole even harder but he is definitely sluggish when turning the corner. And he doesn't have that burst right now.

I'm afraid our O-line will expose this offense more so then ever if we can't get healthy. It is not looking good for Portis, Betts, Sellars or whoever else if we can't get any push on a 3rd & 3 like during the 2nd half yesterday.:2cents:

Portis is not 100%. It is obvious.

Enough said.

NO, not enough said. His problem with his knee has nothiing to do with him protecting the ball.

Of course, I can find a few thousand posts on this forum that clearly state Portis doesn't fumble, and Betts does it all the time.

What is Betts averaging? 2.7 yards . He's not the answer.

If you actually watched what's happening with the line, didn't have your nose up Clintons keaster, and watched him run, you would realize the he's getting worse each week, and the answer is to have him sit to heal.

Neighter back is producing because of the line, but Betts is healthy, and can take the punishment that Portis is unable to right now.

Betts is the answer, but ya, I know, he fubles the ball away at the worst time :rolleyes: , can't block, and hurts the team week after week :rolleyes:, not like Portis who hasn't put it on the turf in a critical situation this year.

Betts is the answer, but ya, I know, he fubles the ball away at the worst time :rolleyes: , can't block, and hurts the team week after week :rolleyes:, not like Portis who hasn't put it on the turf in a critical situation this year.

Betts is not the answer because he cannot make people miss in the open field, he cannot outrun the defense, and he falls after first contact.

Betts is a serviceable back who has done a great job of learning the plays and following his lead blocks. But he just doesn't have the tools that Clinton does.

That said, Clinton needs to hold on to the ****ing ball. :mad:

NO, not enough said. His problem with his knee has nothiing to do with him protecting the ball.

Of course, I can find a few thousand posts on this forum that clearly state Portis doesn't fumble, and Betts does it all the time.

If you actually watched what's happening with the line, didn't have your nose up Clintons keaster, and watched him run, you would realize the he's getting worse each week, and the answer is to have him sit to heal.

Neighter back is producing because of the line, but Betts is healthy, and can take the punishment that Portis is unable to right now.

how can you say portis is getting worse???? if anything, hes getting BETTER. he finally carried 20 times in a game, and the only reason hes having problems is because our oline is made up of complete scrubs. hes finally back in game shape, betts had 3 carries yesterday because portis is ready to be that guy again it seems. you dont carry 20 times against the green bay linebackers if youre not ready to go. his fumble was probably due to weather, as were a lot of our drops.

we lost that game yesterday because of santana moss, and santana moss alone. he contributed to 3 HUGE botched plays that each one could have changed the outcome of the game. when you are singlehandedly responsible for 3 negative game changing plays in a loss by 3 points, its all on you.

and betts sucks, he only plays well when our line is completely manhandling anyone. rock would put up the same numbers behind an incredible line, which we are far from having at the moment.

side note - anybody know whats going on with our line?? heyer/wade/rabach all went down yesterday, and were seriously like actually OUT of lineman at this point. what are we going to do?

I know I risk being flamed... but CP looks like a back past his prime: dinged up all the time, able to look good in bursts, but it is always something making him "week to week". Lineman, QBs, and WR can get better with rest (even for a year, if needed)- but for front line RBs, this road is never pretty.

Only exception I have ever seen is Terry Allen- and boy, was he an exception.

Time to see if Ladell can carry more of the load successfully and use CP when he is available/healthy.

My fear is that this is the CP we will know from now on: good in stints but always a bit dinged up.

One more thing: please dont open up the "Champ/CP" issue again- Champ was going to leave us no matter what. Should we have given up a #2- probably not, we all agree on that. But this should not open up another Champ vs CP talk.

CP is going to be a fragile back from now on. That does not mean we cannot benefit from him- but it is what it is.

betts isnt the answer. a dinged up portis is better than a healthy betts. betts is terrible without a bludgeoning oline, which we dont have.

get us a top flight oline again and we can use betts. but at the moment, betts is worthless.

why do you think gibbs wont put him in the game? he knows its just a loss of yards behind this oline.

Yeah. I think CP needs to just sit out and get healthy. He's limping off the field every otehr play at this point. There's a fine line between being a warrior that's taking one for the team and being a detriment. I think CP has been the latter here lately.

Portis definitely needs to hold onto the ball, but Betts IS NOT the answer. Betts is an average back that was hyped after his production last season which was due to tremendous offensive line play. He aint that good: FACT! The funny thing is, I think Mason off of our practice squad has way more elusiveness than Betts. Not saying that just to say it. I really believe it.

Betts is not the answer because he cannot make people miss in the open field, he cannot outrun the defense, and he falls after first contact.

Betts is a serviceable back who has done a great job of learning the plays and following his lead blocks. But he just doesn't have the tools that Clinton does.

That said, Clinton needs to hold on to the ****ing ball. :mad:

Never said Betts has the tools Portis does, but his knee is an issue. He tweaked it last week in the first series, and was seen limping again yesterday. Betts is the answer in that Portis need time to heal. Portis didn't have the speed he's known for yesterday, or the moves. He tried his damdest, but it wasn't happening. With the line as messed up as it is right now, the yards are even harder to gain, and having Portis keep running behind them is going to put even more ware and tare on him.

how can you say portis is getting worse???? if anything, hes getting BETTER. he finally carried 20 times in a game, and the only reason hes having problems is because our oline is made up of complete scrubs. hes finally back in game shape, betts had 3 carries yesterday because portis is ready to be that guy again it seems. you dont carry 20 times against the green bay linebackers if youre not ready to go. his fumble was probably due to weather, as were a lot of our drops.

we lost that game yesterday because of santana moss, and santana moss alone. he contributed to 3 HUGE botched plays that each one could have changed the outcome of the game. when you are singlehandedly responsible for 3 negative game changing plays in a loss by 3 points, its all on you.

and betts sucks, he only plays well when our line is completely manhandling anyone. rock would put up the same numbers behind an incredible line, which we are far from having at the moment.

side note - anybody know whats going on with our line?? heyer/wade/rabach all went down yesterday, and were seriously like actually OUT of lineman at this point. what are we going to do?

Portis had 20 carries because he more then likely kept yackin at the coaches behind closed doors. If Rock can put up the same numbers as Betts, then Play him and Betts. As I said above, the guy is clearly not 100%, and needs time to heal. He limps off the field more each week. This team isn't out of it if we can get the line healthy quickly enough, and we need a healthy Portis if we're to make a late season run for the post season. Portis looked down right slow yesterday, with none of the burst he's known for. The number of reps means little, it's the results.

betts isnt the answer. a dinged up portis is better than a healthy betts. betts is terrible without a bludgeoning oline, which we dont have.

get us a top flight oline again and we can use betts. but at the moment, betts is worthless.

why do you think gibbs wont put him in the game? he knows its just a loss of yards behind this oline.

A dinged up portis may be better than a healthy betts, but it doesint help us at all when we run plays like we have a 100% healthy portis when he clearly isnt healthy.

Portis isn't healthy and if he doesn't get rest he isn't going to get healthy , let Betts and Rock take a pounding this week vs Arizona , Portis carries the ball 15-20 times a game and when he is done he lookes like he carried it 30 times and caight it 10 times , he is just dinged all the hell up

Our offensive line is falling apart and this is what makes the difference between Portis' awesome productivity in the first half and his complete meltdown in the second half. He's definitely not healthy and it shows in his gallop, but if the line would hold up, he'd continue to finish games with plus-yard carries.

The fumbling is TOTALLY perplexing and I do agree that he needs to carry the ball like a pro, not like a hot dog.

Also- Run Sellers MORE. He would have been the answer in the mud yesterday.

Portis had 20 carries because he more then likely kept yackin at the coaches behind closed doors. If Rock can put up the same numbers as Betts, then Play him and Betts. As I said above, the guy is clearly not 100%, and needs time to heal. He limps off the field more each week. This team isn't out of it if we can get the line healthy quickly enough, and we need a healthy Portis if we're to make a late season run for the post season. Portis looked down right slow yesterday, with none of the burst he's known for. The number of reps means little, it's the results.

i think he looked slow because he had nowhere to go. i felt like any play up the middle he just ran into a wall. the only plays where portis is effective are those sweeps because he has that good speed to the edges, but up the middle nobody is going to be effective right now becuase our line is so poor.

i think thats why we didnt see any sellers on short yardage yesterday because our staff doesnt trust the oline to get that good 1 to 2 yard extra push that is necessary for those pounding runs.

we need to get healthy on the line lightning fast, or change our offense into a quick throw offense, becuase we cannot run like this right now.

Archived