Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis and his fumbles

Drunken Master III

It's hard to make out who's under that helmet, but yesterday it almost seemed like some imposter was wearing Portis' uniform.

Did anyone else notice he just didn't seem to be himself? Even discounting fumbles. It was weird, just watching him run. Seemed uninspiring.

Even the big gains looked somehow out of sorts.

I agree, he must be hurting more than we're led to believe.

We need to shelf Portis and let him get healthy and run Betts for as long as we can. When he goes down we can bring a healthy Portis back in.

I agree that Portis does not look to be 100% but I feel like Betts is hesitant in his running. I know the line issues are a big part of it but he does not appear to be running with purpose.

Now Mike Sellers in the open field, that is running with purpose and an intent to hurt somebody.

I wish our bye was this week instead of Week 3.

17 carries against miami - 3.5 per carry

6 carries against philly - 2.3 per carry

7 carries against nyg - 1.3 per carry

8 carries against det - 2.8 per carry

3 carries against gb - 3.3 per carry

seems like no matter how many carries he gets, he still sucks.

thats true Betts is not doing so well , but neither is Portis , you guys notice how he rips off a 8-10 yard run then gets dropped for a loss the next play ? ..or limps off the field? .. it just hurts to see him play that way knowing what he can do when hes healthy

what do you expect when he gets around 5 carries a game?

There is a reason he only got 5 carries. He is average. Any NFL back can run wild when they have great O-line play. Where are the tough yards? Have you EVER seen Betts make a play out of nothing. Can you remember ONE notable run in his CAREER? Let me answer that. NO!

Like I said Portis needs to hold onto the ball but he's way better than Betts. Betts got his contract extension based on the O-line play. The truth hurts.

i think he looked slow because he had nowhere to go. i felt like any play up the middle he just ran into a wall. the only plays where portis is effective are those sweeps because he has that good speed to the edges, but up the middle nobody is going to be effective right now becuase our line is so poor.

i think thats why we didnt see any sellers on short yardage yesterday because our staff doesnt trust the oline to get that good 1 to 2 yard extra push that is necessary for those pounding runs.

we need to get healthy on the line lightning fast, or change our offense into a quick throw offense, becuase we cannot run like this right now.

I'm spacifically speaking of the one he broke open to the left flat with a good ammount of open space for a good gain. Re-watch it, and you can see his gate is not normal. If he was 100%, he might have juked the defender, and gone all the way. He wasn't able to make the edge very well yesterday. Maybe he was a bit tentative due to the wet turf, but it's clear the knee is slowing him down a bit.

NO, not enough said. His problem with his knee has nothiing to do with him protecting the ball.

Of course, I can find a few thousand posts on this forum that clearly state Portis doesn't fumble, and Betts does it all the time.

That is true. I meant that him not being 100% is the reason for his overall mediocre play. I say keep him in their, he is the best guy we have, but he isnt what he used to be...and niether is our o-line, which is the other problem.

I we had Jansen and Thomas in there then he would be more productive. Actually, we would be more productive as an offense, period.

The problem is Portis has started holding the ball out in front of him with two hands instead of up in his rib cage. He looks like a scrambling college QB who is running the option. Why is he doing this? Have the coaches been teaching him this. This is the first season I have seen him do this and it bothers me every time.

He was carrying the ball like Deion used to last year. It was killing me and I was screaming at the TV every time he held it. Two hands, away from the chest. My coach used to tell me that was like carrying a loaf of bread.

Bingo! You saw the same thing I did ^^^^

Why is he holding the ball in his hands?

I would seriously like to see us let Portis get healthy and split carries almost fifty-fifty with Sellers and Betts. Sellers is faster then most think and can actually carry the ball to the tackles, but clearly he can also run over people right up the middle too. He's averaging somewhere around 5.0 ypc and he can clearly handle the load.

Obviously, with Portis hurt and needing some time to heal, Betts is the clear option to take over, but I still think he and Sellers should split carries.

I would seriously like to see us let Portis get healthy and split carries almost fifty-fifty with Sellers and Betts. Sellers is faster then most think and can actually carry the ball to the tackles, but clearly he can also run over people right up the middle too. He's averaging somewhere around 5.0 ypc and he can clearly handle the load.

Obviously, with Portis hurt and needing some time to heal, Betts is the clear option to take over, but I still think he and Sellers should split carries.

Its time the coaches put in our healthiest RB,whether the fans like it or not.By playing an obvious injured Portis,they are hurting our team.Same goes for Moss!

Really? Don't you guys know that neither of those scenarios is ever going to happen?

I think there might also have been some solid reasoning in Aikman's comments about Portis yesterday when he said something to the effect of:

You have to love and respect Portis for his heart and determination to play as physical as he does. He also said that he doesn't believe there is a more physical running back in the league with or without the ball, Portis is always trying to run over people if he doesn't have space to move around him. Unfortunately, he finished this by saying that he just doesn't see Portis lasting a long time in this league because of how physical he plays, the hits take a toll, and sometimes players can only last so long....

I'm not sure I'm sold on this for Portis, but I guarantee he's hurting right now. It's no excuse for fumbles, but he is not running like the Clinton Portis that I remember that may have been one of the fastest guys in the league. He seems to struggle to outrun linebackers and quick defensive ends to the sideline anymore, and the fumbles are extremely costly.

Archived