Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

James Thrash should be our Punt Returner henceforth

Fear Our D!

yea you cant go off one return. Randle sometimes dances around but he is 90% of the time a cut, a block, or a shoe-lace tackle away from breaking one.

plus, randle is faster. thrash is great, but lets just keep ARE back there

dont get me wrong...i'd love to have em back there for that very reason...but if you think about it, other then moss he's our only other deep threat...why risk em?

James Thrash was actually really impressive today, he really took advantage of ARE sitting out. Hopefully we'll see some more action from this guy.

Amen. The thing about Thrash is, he doesn't see a whole lot of action, but when you call his number, he shows up and does exactly what the coaches want him to do. You don't have to worry about how he's going to perform in the clutch, which is what makes him an asset.

I expected that he'd make the most of his playing time today, and he did. :applause:

I feel like randal el is too one dimensional on punt returns. He always makes one fake move then runs the opposite way. Some times you just have to take the punt and run straight to the left or the right with it THEN cut up. That is how you break them IMO.

well, he has the second most returns for TDs of any active player..... so i'd say he knows what hes doing, and it works

[quote name=Fear Our D!

Randle El is looking more than competent as our number two WR' date=' and played great today until his injury. But I think he does far too much dancing around on punt returns and most times he gets very little. Every so often he breaks it 25-30 yards, but I'd rather have someone get the sure 10-15 yards consistently rather than someone trying to be flashy and go nowhere.

[/quote]

I'd have to agree. He tries to be flashy on punt returns for nothing. Just run the darn ball and get flashy when it needs to be. I still like Randle either way

well, he has the second most returns for TDs of any active player..... so i'd say he knows what hes doing, and it works

I know he has it in him to be great I just have noticed that he is trying the same things a little bit too often back there. I rarely see him catch a punt and just take off in one direction. Instead he almost always give a fake step before taking off. This is a successful strategy but only when mixed in with other techniques as well.

Let's give thanks where thanks is due: the blockers for that punt return. That probably has more to do with the success of that return than Thrash did. Certainly, vision is important, but a returner doesn't do it by himself.

Also, if ARE was back there, he probably would have taken it all the way.

Jason

No doubt our special teams are a great, hard working squad. And IF 82 was taking it down the sideline on that return, he probably would have scored. But I'm just not sure he would've been in that position because of always trying to make the play for himself. Trust your blockers!

yea you cant go off one return. Randle sometimes dances around but he is 90% of the time a cut, a block, or a shoe-lace tackle away from breaking one.

plus, randle is faster. thrash is great, but lets just keep ARE back there

I'm not going off one return. If I were then I'd still be on ARE's side from the Indy game last year where he returned one. I'm going off all of his returns. For example, yesterday when he returned punts he had one for no gain (and a weird fumble) and one for 2 yards. What do all of his returns have in common? LOTS AND LOTS of dancing in place.

Let him do that after he catches a slant or something and then put your juke moves on. Then he'll get some positive YAC. I bet he would be great at that, actually. They should call that on 4th and short sometime :applause:

Thrash had a great run, but damn, he's gotta protect that ball! As he was running, he was being so careless with how he was carrying the ball; it was a fumble waiting to happen. 30 yards before the ball got knocked out, I was already starting to panic over how he was holding the ball and it didn't surprise me when it came out.

im pretty sure that is what will happen..... if we need a big return, im sure we will put him in (like how the panthers use s.smith).... otherwise it will be thrash.... no complaints here

I agree. Thats exactly the way we should do it. I don't think that because of ARE's dancing. But I think we should do it to save his energy for the offense and to keep him as healthy as possible.

I agree. Thats exactly the way we should do it. I don't think that because of ARE's dancing. But I think we should do it to save his energy for the offense and to keep him as healthy as possible.

My thoughts exactly. We need ARE fresh and healthy at the WR spot.

1) ARE is now too important to our offense to be the full time punt returner

2) Thrash is more like B. Mitch in that he's more likely to hit it straight up the field and get you at least 8-10 yards rather than run horizontally for half an hour looking to outrun you to the sideline.

3) When Thrash had the ball knocked out, you have to realize that he was down along the sideline, with the ball in his outside arm. The Lions defender did a great job getting around Thrash and punching it out. Thrash probably thought the sideline was sufficient protection, but the defender got a good angle and made the play. It happens.

I have to chime in on this one in regards to the fumbles. If you take a peek at the stats on NFL.com the Redskins have fumbled 11 times this year. That's a ****load of times putting the ball on the field. In 06 it didn't work out for us to well. This year we are getting some lucky bounces but it may not be long until those start bouncing the wrong way.

I almost forgot about the topic :doh:

Thrash is a great player and I regret anything negative I said about him being the #1 WR. I still don't think he can hang too well as a #1 but he is gifted, keeps himself in shape and plays hard every game. You have to love that about him.

That said, I'd keep El as the returner. He can make plays that Thrash just can't.

Totally Agree with Thrash returning punts because he runs straight ahead. No disrespect to ARE but he butterflies and dances entirely to much. He will get blown up one of these games if he keeps dancing. Plus ARE shouldnt be returning punts if he is the number 1 reciever the same game!

Let's give thanks where thanks is due: the blockers for that punt return. That probably has more to do with the success of that return than Thrash did. Certainly, vision is important, but a returner doesn't do it by himself.

Also, if ARE was back there, he probably would have taken it all the way.

Jason

Or maybe he would have danced around and not ran to the right side and broke a long return like Thrash did. I love the moves El can make but returns are about finding the right lane. Thrash did a good job. I say save El for offense. :2cents:

yea you cant go off one return.

Thrash has been a good punt returner his whole career. If memory serves, the first time he touched the ball as a Redskin (his first preseason), he returned a punt for a touchdown. (Can someone confirm this?)

If El was our #3 or #4 receiver still, I could see using him on punt returns, but he is just too valuable to the offense now. I think Thrash would do just as well back there.

If Moss is dinged and not playing his normal role, then Thrash and Randle El should split punt returns....

Randle El is a great weapon back there, but we need him fresh....the coaches need to gauge if him returning punts costs us anything in the passing game....

Archived