Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

James Thrash should be our Punt Returner henceforth

Fear Our D!

I'm not a fan who has knee jerk reactions usually, and I really don't consider this as one. But I think Thrash should return our punts from now on.

Randle El is looking more than competent as our number two WR, and played great today until his injury. But I think he does far too much dancing around on punt returns and most times he gets very little. Every so often he breaks it 25-30 yards, but I'd rather have someone get the sure 10-15 yards consistently rather than someone trying to be flashy and go nowhere.

Thrash proved today and in the past that he can return punts by running straight ahead and he is not nearly as pivotal to our passing game. So why risk a Randle El injury on a punt return when for the most part he doesn't do too much, when Thrash looks just as good? Or in the case or today, even better.

Hail!:point2sky

Rock is fine at KICK returning. Thrash is a better PUNT returner. Theres a difference. ;)

I'd rather have Randle El though returning punts. More speed and explosiveness. He probably scores on that return.

But Thrash is just an overall special teams workhorse. He, Rock, and the rest of the ST crew make up one of the league's best overall units(kicking, punting, coverage, and returns).

ur right cartwright just goes straight for the crowd.....no cuttin whatsoever u think its by design....

You don't return punts and kickoffs the same way. On kickoffs you run behind the wedge full speed and hope that a small hole is there. On punts it depends on the blocking but since the returner isn't running behind a wedge and towards a uniform wall from the other team it actually becomes a requirement to be able to cut all over the field.

no way cartwright consistently gets us good field position....just because thrash had a good return doesnt make me change my mind....rock needs to return the kicks

Yeah, I'm only talking on Punt Returns for Thrash. I love Rock as a return guy. Doesn't fumble and gets good yards on kickoffs.

Rock is fine at KICK returning. Thrash is a better PUNT returner. Theres a difference. ;)

I'd rather have Randle El though returning punts. More speed and explosiveness. He probably scores on that return.

But Thrash is just an overall special teams workhorse. He, Rock, and the rest of the ST crew make up one of the league's best overall units(kicking, punting, coverage, and returns).

i couldnt agree more :cheers:

dude, thrash fumbled that ball...we were lucky to recover.

randle el is our guy, and if he needs a spell, then thrash it up

That fumble scared me to death but at least that was because the defender made an awesome play. Do you forget that in the first quarter ARE took two steps on a punt return and just dropped it? With NO contact.

And ARE fumbled a ball in the same game. He also had atleast one that I can remember of this year. HE was lucky enough to recover.

Our luck? ARE will be our punt returner and then get hurt. We'd be **** at WR for the most part.

We don't need ARE getting any more hurt than he is.

personally it almost looked like he tossed the ball like....omg i dont have the ball go after him!

but he's still not a bad returner, i'd still rather have ARE back there

personally it almost looked like he tossed the ball like....omg i dont have the ball go after him!

but he's still not a bad returner, i'd still rather have ARE back there

everyone would rather have ARE out there, but you have to look at the reality of it. it is really easy to get banged up while you are returning punts. ARE has established himself as a key component to our offense, can we risk that contribution. on top of that, they probably tell ARE to be somewhat conservative to keep himself healthy.... thrash can go all out when he gets his hands on it

everyone would rather have ARE out there, but you have to look at the reality of it. it is really easy to get banged up while you are returning punts. ARE has established himself as a key component to our offense, can we risk that contribution. on top of that, they probably tell ARE to be somewhat conservative to keep himself healthy.... thrash can go all out when he gets his hands on it
when i first posted in this thread i was all about having ARE back ther, but like i said, after praise gibbs bought up risking him getting hurt i changed my mind...now i'd rather have thrash back there and save ARE for those beautiful bombs he's been catching

when i first posted in this thread i was all about having ARE back ther, but like i said, after praise gibbs bought up risking him getting hurt i changed my mind...now i'd rather have thrash back there and save ARE for those beautiful bombs he's been catching

yessir.... and let him throw a couple

yea you cant go off one return. Randle sometimes dances around but he is 90% of the time a cut, a block, or a shoe-lace tackle away from breaking one.

plus, randle is faster. thrash is great, but lets just keep ARE back there

lets not and keep em healthy :cheers:

Let's give thanks where thanks is due: the blockers for that punt return. That probably has more to do with the success of that return than Thrash did. Certainly, vision is important, but a returner doesn't do it by himself.

Also, if ARE was back there, he probably would have taken it all the way.

Jason

Archived