Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog: Coach Joe Is On The Warpath/Moss Doubtful (Merged)

arkowi

Little history of the coach at times like this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/book/pages/172.htm

Joe Gibbs was mad. Sputtering mad. Red-faced mad. Punch-the-wall mad. The subject was Philadelphia Eagles Coach Buddy Ryan, and the more Gibbs talked about him, the madder he got. The words came in angry bursts, as if Gibbs were ready to deck the questioner, as if he hoped that Ryan would feel the punch in Philadelphia.

"I live to play a game like this one," Gibbs said. "I live to play this guy."

It was the first week of 1991, and the Redskins were facing a playoff game against the Eagles. While the Redskins had missed the playoffs the two previous seasons, Gibbs had lost none of his magic, especially in motivating his team. To help get the Redskins ready for the Eagles, he had taunted his players, saying:

"If you lose this game, Buddy Ryan is going to call you a bunch of fat asses like he did last time. If you don't mind being called a bunch of fat asses, that's your business."

Now it was two days before kickoff. In the parking lot at Redskin Park, Gibbs' car was still covered with snow that had fallen four days earlier. He had arrived for work late Sunday night after a meaningless December 30 victory over Buffalo to end the regular season, had spent New Year's Eve there and still had not left. During a break in a late-night meeting with his coaches, he encountered a reporter he knew well, and he finally let loose with thoughts and emotions he had long been holding back from the public.

In fact, for three days Gibbs had stood grim-faced and silent as reporters peppered him with questions about Ryan and the Eagles

After looking at the interview, I would say that something happened during practice that P'd Joe off. So I'm assuming that practice wasn't looking/going as good as he thought/hoped. Hopefully when the interview was over he went and handled his business and lit some fire under the team. It's nice to see Joe with emotion and I can only hope that it carries over to the game Sunday.

That was pretty mild for being PO'd. It wasn't the 0-20 question that set him off. He started to get annoyed when they brought up Brandon Lloyd. He obviously didn't want to talk about who was going to play at WR.

Also, it is reassuring that he wants a balanced offense. Because that is what is going to win, not a running O or a passing O, but a balanced O.

Originally Posted by cfcrider

That reporter who asked the last question about Gibbs' supposed statement on preferring a 70% run game plan is a total idiot.

Really? You might want to watch Gibbs show with George Michael this weekend then when Gibbs himself says they like to run the ball SEVENTY PERCENT OF THE TIME. Gibbs himself said 70%. It's on tape. So now who's the idiot?

That was pretty mild for being PO'd. It wasn't the 0-20 question that set him off. He started to get annoyed when they brought up Brandon Lloyd. He obviously didn't want to talk about who was going to play at WR.
Seriously. I don't get all this fuss over this. Trying to compare this to punching projectors or getting fired up over the Playboy prediction or Buddy Ryan match-up is ridiculous- he was calm for most of the interview, maybe a little short in his words, but barely "riled up."

I don't want to come across as any kind of Debbie Downer on the situation, but it's almost as if people are desperate to see fire out of Joe Gibbs II like the old days.

He's either angry about the Giants game and how they played and is ready to unleash hell on the Lions or he is angry after a lackluster week of practice and is not looking forward to Sunday. My bet is about 10 people argue that he's a man on a mission, 10 people argue that he's a frustrated old windbag, this one goes 5+ pages back and forth before we all conclude that we hate Brandon Lloyd.

Haha...genius!

Does anyone remember Gibbs attitude before the 49ers game in 2005? I remember him acting exactly like this. Then we blow them out 52-17. We're going to do the same thing to the Lions Sunday.

Good one. I remember it well. I hope we roll Detroit too. Nothing gets Joe more upset than the media than the suggestion that the upcoming opponent will be a cake walk.

He's either angry about the Giants game and how they played and is ready to unleash hell on the Lions or he is angry after a lackluster week of practice and is not looking forward to Sunday. My bet is about 10 people argue that he's a man on a mission, 10 people argue that he's a frustrated old windbag, this one goes 5+ pages back and forth before we all conclude that we hate Brandon Lloyd.

Wow. Perfect assessment. Especially about Lloyd.

I had to watch it twice, and my theory is, he's been trying all week to convince the players the all time record means nothing, so they won't take the Lions lightly, and here comes stupid reporter guy bringing it up.

Also probably tired of the fact that when he has a losing record, he catches ****, and when he has a winning record, he catches ****.

And he may not read what's here, but I guarantee it trickles down to him. All the "conservative", and "game passed him by" and "no killer instinct" garbage.

After seeing Joe pretty much keep the same demeanor over the years, any show of tension is an attention getter. JLC understands that one as well and he saw the difference. Could be he's guilty of a little exaggeration, but Joe was still tense. Could be because of some players. Or, being the HC and the face of the Redskins, it could be a reflection of the players attitude going into this game.

Does anyone remember Gibbs attitude before the 49ers game in 2005? I remember him acting exactly like this. Then we blow them out 52-17. We're going to do the same thing to the Lions Sunday.

By that logic, the Lions cannot win since they are 0-20 here.

Just watched the presser with Coach Gibbs...good to see him fired up...anyone else notice today that the guys on 980 were being complete douchebags? I guess Coach said they run 70% of the time then today said they like to be balenced. Why was it such a big deal to those ass clowns? I freakin hate those guys...all they ever do is rag on the Coach for dumb reasons...i understand when people talk about Gibbs clock management or end of half issues, i have no prblems with that but to rip on the Coach for something like that is just stupid...when will i learn to stop listening to those clowns and stick with Riggo.

ok end of rant...sorry

I really think Coach Gibbs did not have the team ready to play last week.

I sensed the loss the minute I heard Clinton Portis on tv looking ahead, talking about being 4-0 or and 2-0 in the division, or some such nonsense. At that moment, I knew the $175 I had on the Skins was as good as gone.

I hope he's got the team ready this week. Still betting on the Skins to win.

Joe Gibbs was sure animated today when he was talking to the media. He usually has a quiet, calm demeanor whenever talking to the media. However, as a Redskins fan, I like seeing an animated Joe Gibbs who is gonna find a way to light up a fire within the Redskins. All of us Skins fans wanna see a Washington Redskins team that is very smart, disciplined, competitive, aggressive, intimidating, and has a ruthless, killer instinct on all sides of the football. Hopefully, the way Joe Gibbs addressed the media today is gonna help the Redskins become victorious throughout the 2007 NFL Season.

Seriously. I don't get all this fuss over this. Trying to compare this to punching projectors or getting fired up over the Playboy prediction or Buddy Ryan match-up is ridiculous- he was calm for most of the interview, maybe a little short in his words, but barely "riled up."

I don't want to come across as any kind of Debbie Downer on the situation, but it's almost as if people are desperate to see fire out of Joe Gibbs II like the old days.

Gibbs didn't show much "fire" in public in the old days.

You can count the number of times on two fingers, and one of those times was actually behind closed doors. Luckily, a reporter was there to catch it.

Little history of the coach at times like this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/book/pages/172.htm

Joe Gibbs was mad. Sputtering mad. Red-faced mad. Punch-the-wall mad. The subject was Philadelphia Eagles Coach Buddy Ryan, and the more Gibbs talked about him, the madder he got. The words came in angry bursts, as if Gibbs were ready to deck the questioner, as if he hoped that Ryan would feel the punch in Philadelphia.

"I live to play a game like this one," Gibbs said. "I live to play this guy."

It was the first week of 1991, and the Redskins were facing a playoff game against the Eagles. While the Redskins had missed the playoffs the two previous seasons, Gibbs had lost none of his magic, especially in motivating his team. To help get the Redskins ready for the Eagles, he had taunted his players, saying:

"If you lose this game, Buddy Ryan is going to call you a bunch of fat asses like he did last time. If you don't mind being called a bunch of fat asses, that's your business."

Now it was two days before kickoff. In the parking lot at Redskin Park, Gibbs' car was still covered with snow that had fallen four days earlier. He had arrived for work late Sunday night after a meaningless December 30 victory over Buffalo to end the regular season, had spent New Year's Eve there and still had not left. During a break in a late-night meeting with his coaches, he encountered a reporter he knew well, and he finally let loose with thoughts and emotions he had long been holding back from the public.

In fact, for three days Gibbs had stood grim-faced and silent as reporters peppered him with questions about Ryan and the Eagles

For all the championships and big games we were in during Gibbs I, I don't think there was a game that I wanted the Skins to win more than the one referenced in the story.

I just watched it. Wow! He was clearly angry from the very start. That 980 reporter is either very gutsy or very stupid. I complety agree with the growing consensus that this is a very good sign. It will definately cary over to Sunday. If we somehow loose it will not be from lack of intensity. We are going to come out swinging. The Lions may be walking into a slaughter house.

Gibbs2 has not seemed very different to me from Gibbs1 except that he has seemed a bit more mellow this time (until now!) Here's to a special day Sunday that will become part of the Redskins Lore. :cheers:

Well, thanks for that ,I can skip over to another thread now :notworthy

it sounded more like worry to me than being fired up...

he went on a rant about how good they are and what they do well.....

If it had went the other way then i might feel the way the rest of you do...

If he had said "we" are a physical team and we have the talent and we have the heart then it would have made me feel better....

Archived