Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time for Gibbs to go

krazibones

Guest sith lord
I think it is time for YOU to go.

The man made some good points. Gibbs IS NOT God. He plays not to lose and is far as I'm concerned, it is time for him to go.

So one drive describes 4 years?? :doh:

Maybe we should fire Portis also for the fumble that led to the Giants go ahead score. Or we should fire Sean Taylor for missing a tackle on Plaxico Buress...or is it just fire Joe Gibbs because he can't stop his players from screwing up on the field?

That drive was only to tie the game. It was not to win it. It might have given an opportunity to win in OT. It should have never come to that. When you have false starts, fumbles, missed tackles...none of that matters?? It all comes down to a sequence with an inexperienced QB at the end?? Really... :doh:

Bottom line, players still have to play.

I understand what you're saying. But I see a lot of our players getting apprehensive and tense when things start going poorly. And, conversely, you don't see them getting looser, more confident, and performing better when we're in control of the game. This is a leadership issue.

There are some notable exceptions, I think ARE and Sellers have a little more of that confident attitude we need to see in players. But most of the players still look scared and confused at all the wrong times.

And it's no wonder, when our coach is always projecting an image of fear. This is no different from having a QB walk into a huddle and having his voice crack because he's scared and nervous. It brings down the level of all the players around him. It's even a bigger problem when it comes from the head coach.

Again, not saying Gibbs needs to go. Just that Gibbs needs to make some changes and the problems are more of leadership (confidence, trust, delegation of authority) than mechanics.

Guest sith lord
Typical over-reaction thread. The Giants aren't as bad as we all thought, plain and simple. Everyone is ready to annoint the Cowboys, yet the Giants kept up with them the entire game in week one until Eli went out. We're a good team, but we let one of our rivals get the better of us. This team has already shown it has what it takes to bounce back.

The Giants are a bad team. Their defense is shot. They have a lameduck coach. Strahan is a shell of his former self. The Tiki Barber controversy. But with all this going on, they still find the heart to beat the NFC East whipping boys the Skins.

A flat pass short of the endzone to the Fullback and then 2 off tackle runs to the 2nd string RB. Joe Gibbs conservative philsophy has handicapped Al Saunders and Saunders is poor at using his best Offensive personnel. Campbell had converted several 3rd downs and a 4th down using Moss and Randle El on the last drive despite Rabch's penalties. He deserved a chance to make the play at the end. Campbell and those two guys were hot, Cooley is Campbell favorite red zone target and Portis has a great nose for the end zone and is our franchise back if you want to run. Yet on the last 3 plays none of these guys was on the field. I would rather take my chances with Campbell in Shotgun with all of those guys on the field spreading the Giants out. A Portis or Campbell run along with trying to defend Moss, Cooley, and Randle El would have been a lot tougher for the Giants. You give the ball to your playmakers with the game on the line not utility players.

If those runs on 1st and 2nd down worked, you would be celebrating Gibbs Smash mouth football. I agree, he was a bit too conservative or perhaps a better word is "predictable", but he'll have two weeks to let this eat away at him, well he change? I doubt it, its been like this for all of Gibbs 2.0 but when the running game works, he looks like a genious when it doesn't he needs to open it up more, but I don't think he has the confidence in JC quite yet.

Lets get some perspective here folks, its week 3 and we are 2-1. Not a bad start.

But in his first tenure, that's not what Gibbs did. If we faced a team like we did yesterday that obviously can stop the run, we went to the pass. Why do you think there were days where it was all posse, all the time.

We even went into a SB with an undersized rookie RB on his first start because it was the right call to focus on a weakness in the Broncos D.

In general, yes, smashmouth is great. But on any given sunday you have to have the confidence to go after weaknesses when you see them and the prudence to avoid the other team's strengths.

A flat pass short of the endzone to the Fullback and then 2 off tackle runs to the 2nd string RB. Joe Gibbs conservative philsophy has handicapped Al Saunders and Saunders is poor at using his best Offensive personnel. Campbell had converted several 3rd downs and a 4th down using Moss and Randle El on the last drive despite Rabch's penalties. He deserved a chance to make the play at the end. Campbell and those two guys were hot, Cooley is Campbell favorite red zone target and Portis has a great nose for the end zone and is our franchise back if you want to run. Yet on the last 3 plays none of these guys was on the field. I would rather take my chances with Campbell in Shotgun with all of those guys on the field spreading the Giants out. A Portis or Campbell run along with trying to defend Moss, Cooley, and Randle El would have been a lot tougher for the Giants. You give the ball to your playmakers with the game on the line not utility players.

100% Correct. I've said it 10 times now but we need to use our best players, and we need to attack the defense's weaknesses. Their secondary sucks, attack it. Take advantage of the fact that their secondary sucks and don't try to run the game out for 30 minutes when the run game isn't working.

I have to say one thing. I remb watching Gibbs in the 80's and he just doesnt seem to have the same fire in his eyes he used to. He looks way more confused and perplexed on the side lines then I have ever seen him in the past. I think he would be a great team pres and gen manager but I would like some youth and experience in coaching in todays NFL with the limitations that the salery cap puts on a team in the game calling the plays and managing the team on the sidelines. Dont get me wrong I love Gibbs I really do its just that how many years are we going to go through this? We fixed a lot of problems we had. For example

1. We did not go out this last off season and sign all these "superstars" and lose all our draft picks for the next 4 years

2. We resigned key players and tried to keep the team as together as we could in the offseason. Were starting to see that with our D and our key players

3. We realize that youth is key. I can only hope that we keep trying to build through the draft for the long term not just sign older players for the here and now

What we need to now do is have someone who is going to be able to take the weapons he has and let them do what they do best. I too watch all these other teams who are way less talented as we are and they put a lot of points on the board. We dont. I cant understand it.

You are "presuming" a lot there. When the fact of the matter is you really have no idea who exactly is making the play calls in that situation. I was at the game, I saw the last drive. I saw Campbell panic and spike the ball twice when he didn't need to. The two minute drill needs work with Campbell...that is obvious...BUT to fire Gibbs for something that needs a little more attention is ridiculous.

Jesus Christ! How many times is this going to be said. Campbell did not panic. It has been stated numerous times by Gibbs and Campbell that Campbell was told by the coaches in his headset to spike the ball both times. This was not Campbell having a choice, he was just doing as he was told by the coaches.

Guest sith lord
Jesus Christ! How many times is this going to be said. Campbell did not panic. It has been stated numerous times by Gibbs and Campbell that Campbell was told by the coaches in his headset to spike the ball both times. This was not Campbell having a choice, he was just doing as he was told by the coaches.

You think most here would dare to blame Gibbs?

Campbell has everything he needs to win. You can see it on the field. I'm not saying he won't get more experience, or he won't become significantly better. He will. But he has everything he needs right now. If you don't see it you aren't watching.

I just said he could use some more experience. Period. We could be winning and we should be winning. We should have won yesterday. But it was a tough divisional game. Division games are rarely easy. I guess my point is; he could become a great QB with more experience. But not right now. He's just not there yet. He still has trouble reading defenses. -Thats watching the game.

Maybe instead of going, he just needs to take a step back and let Saunders run the offense the way he wants.

You hit the nail on the head right there. It seems Gibbs is trying to fix something that wasn't broke. Saunders play calling got us there why not let him finish the job?

Does coach Joe have an ego problem that we don't see? Because I see no reason to take over the play calling from Al when he was the one who got us down to the 2 yard line. I think Saunders has more faith in JC then Gibbs does.

You think most here would dare to blame Gibbs?

I'm not gonna sit around and bash Gibbs all day. However, he does need to be held accountable and the simple fact is that something needs to change in his coaching staff to allow it to adapt to the modern NFL. Even in 2005 it felt as if the offense was not "modernized" enough to allow the Skins to have a legit shot at the Super Bowl. The coaching in the 2nd half yesterday was awful and something seriously needs to change. Little things like lack of adjustments and lack of killer instinct will continue to hurt this team in games if they are not addressed quickly.

People forget how similar poor coaching could have cost the team the first two games as well. You don't kick a 43 yard field goal in overtime on first down. You don't kick a field goal with time left for a few endzone tosses. These things could have easily resulted in the team being 0-3 at this point.

Guest sith lord
I'm not gonna sit around and bash Gibbs all day. However, he does need to be held accountable and the simple fact is that something needs to change in his coaching staff to allow it to adapt to the modern NFL. Even in 2005 it felt as if the offense was not "modernized" enough to allow the Skins to have a legit shot at the Super Bowl. The coaching in the 2nd half yesterday was awful and something seriously needs to change. Little things like lack of adjustments and lack of killer instinct will continue to hurt this team in games if they are not addressed quickly.

People forget how similar poor coaching could have cost the team the first two games as well. You don't kick a 43 yard field goal in overtime on first down. You don't kick a field goal with time left for a few endzone tosses. These things could have easily resulted in the team being 0-3 at this point.

I agree with everything you said. I still don't believe our offense is modernized enough to win consistently. We're very lucky to be 2-1.

One more plodding offensive game goes in the books and this one a loss.

I am no expert, but I can see when a team stinks and the Redskins stink. Gibbs v.2.0 isn't working. Anyone can see it. I want it to work, but it isn't working. If it isn't Gibbs, then what is it? I really want to know.

True, it is still early in the season, but another poster stated that the Redskins could easily be 0-3 and that's true. Would that be cause for alarm??? If not then, when?

We couldn't beat a division rival at home! If you want to go to the playoffs, you must win home games against division opponents. Now we have to go to the Meadowlands later this year and hope we can squeak out a win. I'm not very confident about that possiblity right now.

its funny that when i logged in this morning you see all kinds of "fans" who were lurkers for so long have decided to come out from under their rocks and post bashing the skins.

get rid of gibbs? man your momma shouls have gotten rid of you when you were in her womb.

you people are so predictable. you blame Gibbs when we lose a game. what about the dropped passes? what about Portis' fumble? what about our total collapse in the 2nd half? thats not something a coach does. he doesnt make a full team just fold under the pressure and give up 3TDs.

its funny that when i logged in this morning you see all kinds of "fans" who were lurkers for so long have decided to come out from under their rocks and post bashing the skins.

get rid of gibbs? man your momma shouls have gotten rid of you when you were in her womb.

you people are so predictable. you blame Gibbs when we lose a game. what about the dropped passes? what about Portis' fumble? what about our total collapse in the 2nd half? thats not something a coach does. he doesnt make a full team just fold under the pressure and give up 3TDs.

It's about leadership. It's like running a company or a race team or a military unit. Of course your employees are going to make mistakes.

But it's your job to set the team up so you can overcome those mistakes.

And, more importantly, it's your job to make sure the spirit and the culture of your organization is such that people aren't so scared and apprehensive that they make even more mistakes.

When a leader is afraid to let his people do their jobs, it's going to get in their heads. I don't care how tough they are.

And, of course MOST importantly, it's your job to focus on your competition and their weaknesses and their mistakes and ruthlessly exploit them.

It's about leadership. It's like running a company or a race team or a military unit. Of course your employees are going to make mistakes.

But it's your job to set the team up so you can overcome those mistakes.

And, more importantly, it's your job to make sure the spirit and the culture of your organization is such that people aren't so scared and apprehensive that they make even more mistakes.

When a leader is afraid to let his people do your job, it's going to get in their heads. I don't care how tough they are.

And, of course MOST importantly, it's your job to focus on your competition and their weaknesses and their mistakes and ruthlessly exploit them.

you really think gibbs is afraid? thats absolutely absurd to even suggest that. he called good plays that just werent executed properly. we were running all over them and the passing game was working too.

the only problem i see is that our TEAM made mental mistakes. dropped passes, fumbles, some bad passes.

blaming gibbs is just pure idiocy. the man doesnt run out on the field and make moss drop passes. he didnt strip portis of the ball. he didnt throw the ball behind sellers at the goal line. quit blaming gibbs because you have some unreachable expectations of the man. this isnt 1983, he isnt going to march in here and change the team. free agency and the salary cap have changed that. but he HAS turned this team around and he HAS made us play like a team instead of a bunch of hired mercs who are just out for a paycheck and looking good.

Maybe instead of going, he just needs to take a step back and let Saunders run the offense the way he wants.

Maybe this is true. By the time I saw the 3rd possession of run-run-dinkpass-punt, I will always respect Gibbs, but I knew something must be changed on offense.

I hope that the change is soon and Coach Gibbs can invoke it.

It is not all offense. Maybe new defensive coaching is necessary also.

ok so i have been in denial since Gibbs 2.0 came back. Everyone said Gibbs has to go blah blah ... well im getting on that bandwagon now for the first time. This game was lost because of play calling, nothing else. The offense in the second half was pathetic. It had Gibbs name all over it.

Run Portis left

Run Portis left

dink pass to cooley

PUNT!

Thats what the entire 3rd quarter and 4th were until the end. Gibbs plays to NOT lose. When the Skins are up by anything, we start playing conservative and stop playing the way we are capable of playing. We lack the killer instinct and its not because we don't have the players to do it. Campbell can hit a toothpick 60 yards away. Moss can burn past anyone, and Portis is a beast. We saw this same play calling in all 3 games and its a wonder we won the first 2. I watched the Dallas game last night, and i cant help but think, why cant we do that. We have the weapons, we have the talent. We just have a coach thats scared to do anything. It doesn't work in todays NFL. Any team can score and come back from any deficit.

I think its time for a new coach. Plain and simple.

Whoever wrote the classic "Not all thoughts should be threads" should apply it here. I don't like the playcalling either, and Gibbs has opened himself up to some criticism, but to say he should go? This is like the folks clamoring for JoePa's head a few years back. Sometimes, you have to appreciate all they've done for you and give them a little bit of a pass. I will never call for Joe Gibbs resignation, and neither should anyone else here.

Couldn't agree more....the level of stupidity on this board after a loss is overwhelming. I remember some great football discussions on this site before it became the official board....now just a bunch of posters that are like ****roaches...they wait until it is dark...and then come out and start a bunch of knee jerk reaction threads that are just moronic.....I am done with this site for awhile.

OUT!!

Archived