Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor Jacobs

Ignatius J.

The recent fate of florida recievers in the B&G has left a foul taste lingering. There also can be no doubt that the florida recievers have had a curse akin to the penn state running backs who never seem to make it in this league. But Taylor Jacobs remains an interesting prospect none-the-less.

First and foremost, Taylor is rising on draft charts across the country. Unlike the cheap and available gators of the 2002 offseason, most teams are getting the impression that he can play in this league. Despite our poor experiences with the Florida recievers, there can be no doubt that avoiding a talented player due to his college is as damaging as picking a player because of his college. They are equivalent mistakes since one implies the other.

If we manage to get Price, then we shouldn't need to draft a reciever until late and this is moot, but if we don't, and Taylor's stock continues to rise, then picking him in the first may make sense. While it is true that our recievers need an immediate upgrade, drafting jacobs may allow us to resign thompson and still have plenty of cap space to look elsewhere. I think that thompson will be an upgrade over thompson of this year, but we will be counting on jacobs to play reasonably well.

Now, why would we want jacobs anyway.

1: He can return punts. Half of the senior bowl reports are saying that he has excelled as a punt returner. That means a lot.

2: We may be able to draft him even after a trade down

3: He's speedy and runs good routes, which is to say he's exaclty the reciever we're looking for.

4: DT and no PP means that we can use money right now to lock up champ and gardener.

The downsides are clear though. He will not step into the starting lineup which means that we will be counting on derrius thompson and rod gardner to improve thier games for next year. This is not so unreasonable. Recievers historically show the greatest improvement from year 2 to 3, so we can expect big things from rod gardner this year. DT looked very good and the drops he exhibited late in the season should be ignored. With another year in the offense and another year on the field, those sorts of things go away.

Anyway, after all that, does TJ make sense for this team? It's too early to tell, but I think he opens up an interesting possibility.

-DB

As a point of interest, I would much rather lock up Champ and Gardener longterm than pick up Price. Thus, I think adding a receiver like Jacobs in the draft sounds pretty good to me. I believe that Gardner and Thompson will be a formidable 1-2 punch next year as Gardner is pretty much already at least an average number one and DT came on strong last year. Throw in McCants and a speedy draftee, we could have a heck of a receiving corps.

baltimore is 17 mill under the cap and are big on getting price. he is pretty much out of the question. as far as free agents go, would like to sign randy thomas og jets, get gardner back and possibly look at vonnie holliday. if this happens, like to see the skins trade out of the 1st rd completely for 2nd and 3rd rd picks leaving us with no 1st rd. pick. yes jacobs is good, but would not d tallman gardner, bryant johnson, or the usc kid as well. i don't think there is any way we get our hand on andre johnson, so this is the best scenario. this would also alow us to pick up perhaps an og, and safety rashed mathis in the 2nd as well.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

I am hoping that we add the "speedster" that we all want, add a guard and go defense in the draft. It looks like we wont be able to get Boss but hopefully we can get Jimmy Kennedy or the kid from Kentucky. DT- critical

I'm against drafting Taylor Jacobs in the 1st or 2nd round. Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney didn't do much and Taylor Jacobs probably won't either in spite of all the hype.

If we don't get defensive line help in the 1st and 2nd round this year we could be looking at a disaster, and another frigged up season. Bruce Smith is almost on Social Security, Big Daddy is a tub of lard and being released and what if we lose a starter like Renaldo Wynn to injury? We have absolutely no proven starting quality players behind any of these three guys. :doh:

You can always find a speed receiver in free agency or in the lower rounds. Hell, we drafted Albert Connell in the 4th round and besides we have McCants, and Russell is returning from IR.

Drafting a WR in the 1st or 2nd round will piss me off royal. :doh:

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

I'm against drafting Taylor Jacobs in the 1st or 2nd round. Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney didn't do much and Taylor Jacobs probably won't either in spite of all the hype.

Those two were rookies this year. You don't judge WRs based on their first year in the NFL. It is a position where few rookies excell and most strugle.

This is exactly why I hope the Skins don't take Jacobs. If he plays like a normal rookie WR I'll have to read posts ripping him and calling him a bust every single day next season.

If Taylor plays himself up to the 13 spot in the draft then comparing him with Reche Caldwell and gaffney is a little unreasonable. It would probably make more sense to compare him to Stalworth, or at worst Lelie.

I think the question is price or TJ, unless TJ stops his rise. As of now it's looking like he should be ranked right around our pick, but the combine could change that. Anyway, I just think he's worth considering in a scenario where we keep DT. In fact this is the only scenario where we keep DT that I can think of.

-DB

The only problems that TJ has ever had is with cramping. He has about 1% body fat so he doesnt retain water in his body whih leads to cramping up. I think that might be one factor that hurts him ,is if he cramps at the Snior Bowl or at the combines.

Yes... but Reche and Jabar also went to teams that ran a totally different offensive scheme than Spurrier ran at Florida and runs now in Washington. They were taught new technique, new terminology, and new ways of thinking about the offense's objective.

If Taylor excelled in Spurrier's system and is only one year removed from it, isn't it possible that he would come in and compete for a starting position right away. I mean, if he understands the nuances of the offense and how to get open, isn't it just a matter of catching the ball?

I'm all for drafting Taylor in the 1st round, only I hope he slips to the late 1st. Otherwise, we have to trade down into the late 1st and take the best available defensive player and collect additional picks. An additional 2nd and 3rd round pick will go along way towards filling our "holes" with impact players, value players, and "sleepers".

Cskin,

A trade down from our position would likely land a third rounder not a second. Honestly though, I'd rather have him play very well through the senior bowl and look great at the combine so we pick him at 13. To me, a reciever deserving of a 13 pick is much more valuable than one deserving of a 32 pick, especially in terms of his ability to perform his rookie year. The third rounder wouldn not be worth the difference.

-DB

I had originally hoped that Jacobs would sneak stealthily into the 2nd round where we could happily pick up a real steal of the draft. Unfortunately it's starting to look like that won't happen. As it stands though, I think we really are so latently thin on the defensive line that we just can't afford to go WR in the first round unless we trade down and plan on trading back up in the second and getting the defensive (and yes also offensive) linemen we need there. It's possible perhaps, but it's a real gamble.

This Kevin Williams kid from OSU is just tearing up the Senior Bowl practices. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the early second. Big...explosive DT who just disrupts everything. I don't know where the kid came from, but now he's the talk of the day.

I guess I see your point about Jacobs, but #13 on him is a bit tough to swallow. And Remember, both the Raiders and N.E. have a slew of picks. And...the Raiders have big time cap problems, so they're strategy would seem to be to package picks to move up and get THEIR guy, the one they've targeted all along. With that said, for us moving down from #13 to #32, I'd think that'd be worth at least a second and fifth perhaps.

Or this, move down from #13 to #19 with N.E., and take a third from them as well. Then...move down from #19 to #32 with Oakland, and take their 2nd and their fifth. That would leave us with #32, early 2nd and late, early 3rd and late, and the fifth recouped from the Stai saga.

Kevin Williams is a stud. He's from Oklahoma State, teammate of Rashaun Woods. He wasn't as highly regarded as other Big12 DLs (i.e. Ty Warren or Aaron Hunt) entering the season, but he turned in a great senior year. He looked really similar to our own Gardener, in fact. He ended up with 7 sacks and 14 tackles for loss, having his best game in the Houston Bowl vs. Southern Miss.

He or Ty Warren would inspire wood in the 2nd round.

Kevin Williams

I think Jacobs will be the pick in the 1st, he is playing himself into the top 25 & is acknowledged by most as the top SR. reciever & the 3rd best WR in the draft.

I dont think the comparisons to Gaffney & Caldwell are warranted, as by the end of Jacobs' jr. yr he was the best reciever on the gator roster.

The DL talk is intriguing and all, but you can almost be positive that WR will be adressed in the 1st.

Reading the quotes on him in the Draft web-sites he certainly sounds the real deal - with the exception of the hints that he doesn't like playing against physical corners. Is there anything in that? With a rep like that you can be sure that NFL corners will do their best to rough him up.

So we draft Taylor Jacobs in the 1st round and then Bruce Smith retires; Big Daddy is cut; and Renaldo Wynn goes down with an injury.

And then we start the season with an undersized defensive line of Greg Jones, Daryl Gardener and Carl Powell (assuming they sign) and Ladairus Jackson, and everyone rushes for 500 yards a game against us. Brilliant! :laugh:

L Jackson will be coming back from injury as will Trotter and Mitchell is an UFA.

So the defense will have a gimpy Trotter no back up at MLB with experience, no BDW or his backup and a tweaked back(Gardener 100% healthy nope) away from writing off the season early.

Originally posted by NavyDave

L Jackson will be coming back from injury as will Trotter and Mitchell is an UFA.

So the defense will have a gimpy Trotter no back up at MLB with experience, no BDW or his backup and a tweaked back(Gardener 100% healthy nope) away from writing off the season early.

Sounds like a wonderful way to start the season! I can't wait!!:D

Archived