Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor Jacobs

Ignatius J.

I think the Skins HAVE to look at Jacobs. That doesn't mean he'll be the pick, though. The draft is too far away and rankings will change dramatically before April rolls around. They always do.

Here's my opinion on Jacobs, for whatever it's worth. I think the reason most WRs stuggle with the transition to the NFL has more to do with adjusting to NFL calibre defenses and defenders more than anything else. That's why I don't think playing for Spurrier in college counts for much.

Traditionally, most WRs struggle when they come into the NFL, no matter how talented. The exceptions are certain "special" talents. Randy Moss, for example. And last year, Donte' Stallworth might qualify. While his total catches and yards weren't terribly impressive, his TD total was. While he was raw, he was always a threat to score because he created physical mismatches. In college this past season, I'd put Charles Rogers and Roy Williams in that category. Possibly even Andre Johnson. I wouldn't, however, put Taylor Jacobs in that category. He's got NFL ability, but not the kind of special ability that puts him in physical mismatches as a rookie. He's not worth the 13th pick in the draft, no matter how well he plays in a college all-star game. He's still not going against NFL competition.

I've seen them all play--lots. That's my opinion.

But, I recall reading (here), two days in a row, reporters from the Senior Bowl practices containing the line "Jacobs caught every ball thrown at him".

Don't you wish we had a guy who could say that?

If I could pick, an entire draft of "best available lineman" wouldn't be a bad idea. But, I'd be willing to consider him.

Archived