Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN is full of idiots! (NE Cheating Scandal) (mod edited title)

D'Pablo

After watching this past episode of NFL Live, I was left totally blown away. These guys acted as though this cheating thing was a one-time only deal and that Belichick is a genius with or without the intelligence afforded to him. They totally brushed it off as though it wasn't even cheating. What front-running douches!

It's one thing to over-hear a coach and see what defense that corresponds with on the field, it's another thing to know before-hand exactly what D is being called. They talked about it as though Belichick is the only one who could exploit knowing these signals and he's a genius for it. I'm sorry, but if I knew a team is playing Cover-2, then I'm almost certainly going to exploit the seams. It's not rocket science.

Anyway, it was just odd and disheartening to hear them brush this off like it was nothing.

Isn't the Espn team, umm Cowboy retires? HUmm Must be Bored! No wonder why they pick the PUKES to make it to the play-offs. lets wait till the end of the season.. sucks to have to eat crow .. but let them.

You guys crack me up with the whole "The truth is out there" frame of mind.

I don't think that this was the first time, in fact there's plenty of evidence linked in a lot of the threads in ATN that proves otherwise.

I really take issue with them using technology to do this. If it were stealing signs similar to a baseball situation , say a LB that looked over at Mangini and then audibled based on the signs that he thought he saw then I'm okay with that.

However, to have someone on their sideline filming the coaches and then screwing with the radios then that's a technological advantage which goes way too far IMO.

I don't think that this was the first time, in fact there's plenty of evidence linked in a lot of the threads in ATN that proves otherwise.

I really take issue with them using technology to do this. If it were stealing signs similar to a baseball situation , say a LB that looked over at Mangini and then audibled based on the signs that he thought he saw then I'm okay with that.

However, to have someone on their sideline filming the coaches and then screwing with the radios then that's a technological advantage which goes way too far IMO.

I agree with this. Stealing signs as a Base Runner might do is part of the game, IMO. Video Taping signs or using other electronic apparates is not a part of the game IMO.

Perhaps this doesn't make sense but that's how I view it.

The thing that is really bad is that Belicheck's teams have alwasy been noted for their playcalling and their schemes. Well, its pretty easy to call the right play when you know what's coming. And it also is pretty easy to put your guys in a position to make a play when you know what the other team is doing, making your scheme look great.

I agree with this. Stealing signs as a Base Runner might do is part of the game, IMO. Video Taping signs or using other electronic apparates is not a part of the game IMO.

That's a great point of view because at this point, nobody gives a hoot about Baseball. :silly:

Well what about when they take pictures of the offensive and defensive sets with a camera and send them down to the field? I don't condone and am pretty angry at what the Pats have done, but I'd just figure I would play devil's advocate and throw that out there. When the Niners started doing that in the 80's Walsh was applauded for coming up with that idea.

Well what about when they take pictures of the offensive and defensive sets with a camera and send them down to the field? I don't condone and am pretty angry at what the Pats have done, but I'd just figure I would play devil's advocate and throw that out there. When the Niners started doing that in the 80's Walsh was applauded for coming up with that idea.

The difference is all the teams to this and all they can do is see the formations that the other team uses to match up to your formation. It is still a guessing game what is going to happen.

The pats had the ability to look at the signs and place them next to those formations. Once you find the indicator signal then it is easy to tell the play signs from that if you can determine what each set of signs are for each play. You can tell your players exactly what is coming from the D, not just what formation they are running but if you are successful you might be able to take it further down to the blitzers or stunts.

If the coaches know what is called they can counter it with the perfect play. All plays will work against a certain defense. That is what the coaches are payed to do. Find that mismatch and the Pats had one hell of an advantage.

No way around it Sean Salisbury is a complete moron who lacks any understanding of how the game is played. To blow this off as no big deal is moronic at best.

This doesn't beat what NFL Network pulled. They said that Belichick did it on purpose, got caught on purpose that is, so that the media would take pressure off of his team about being favored to win the Super Bowl and focus on something else. Yeah, that's right. Belichick decided to sacrifice the integrity of his staff, the franchise and possibly lose multiple draft picks in order to get the media to focus on something else.:doh:

The only problem with ESPN's logic is it is stated in the rule book that what they did is illegal. All arguments are moot after that......

Patriots under investigation for following rules, guidelines violations ...

1. Page 105 of the Game Operations manual says: "No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." It later says: "All video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

2. And, a memo from Ray Anderson, NFL head of football operations, to head coaches and GMs on Sept. 6, 2006 said: "Video taping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent’s offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches’ booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

This is a good point. To me, that's like real time game film. I don't really have a problem with that because both sides have access to the same technoligy and info. This is more analysic then cheating IMO. I can see where some of the same questions can be raised but I guess because it's equal and after the fact, I don't view it in the same light.

No way around it Sean Salisbury is a complete moron who lacks any understanding of how the game is played. To blow this off as no big deal is moronic at best.

Consider the source. This is a guy who takes snap shots of his Johnson with a camera phone and then uses them to try and pick up women. I mean, were not exactly working with a great deal of Grey Matter here.

Archived