Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eerily similar to 05 Mon. Night vs Cowboys

SkinsNoles21

This is crazy talk.

As long as we're in it, as long as we look like a team that's competing... we're never out of the playoff hunt until it's mathematically impossible. To think otherwise is weak, and just giving up way too easily.

Sure, this game can be a huge confidence-booster... but if we lose, it'll only affect us as badly as we allow it to.

I said it in another thread, and I'll say it again here... I feel like we may lose the next two games in close, gut-wrenching losses, go into the bye week with a bitter taste in our mouths and come out on fire. Noone will stop us afterwards.

You heard it here first. For the second time. :D

Id prefer to win the next two and come out of the bye on fire...

I think we will beat the gmen at home...

I hope the results are the same, but i hope they come via a different method... aka win by a blow out.

its's funny isn't it? as much as I cherised staying up that Monday night of "the comeback" and watching our team pull out the crazy and memorable victory, I would prefer not go through 3 and 3/4 quarters of agony to pull out the victory.

Lets grab these punks by the scruff in the first Quarter and drag all over the yard all game long!!!! :point2sky

If we could take this game it would indeed be huge. The next week at home against the Gnats would be even bigger. Starting out the season 2-0 in the division would go a long way towards winning the division overall. 6-0 in the division? Unlikely. Hopeful? Most certainly.

Hail

I agree with you 110%. I know its only week 2, but I think this game defines our season. We win this game, we will make playoffs. We lose this game, we don't.

Bingo! Well almost... I'll explain in a moment.

This game is for the season folks. Not a lot of people will believe this, but this game is a pattern setter.

Let's look at the history (NP = No playoffs, Bold = win):

2006: @Dallas 27, Skins 10; NP

2005: Skins 14, @Dallas 13 :); paloffs

2004: @NYG 20, Skins 14; NP

2003: Skins 33, @Atl 31; NP (miraculous win, should've lost)

2002: Eagles 37, @Skins 7; NP

2001: @GB 37, Skins 0; NP

2000: @Det 15, Skins 10; NP

1999: Skins 50, @NY 21; paloffs

1998: SF 45, Skins 10; NP

1997: Pitt 14, @Skins 13; NP

1996: @Skins 10, Chic 3; NP (but a 7-1 start)

1995: Oak 20, @Skins 8; NP

1994: Skins 38, @NO 24; NP (one of 3 wins; NO 7-9)

1993: Cards 17, @Skins 10; NP

1992: @Skins 24, Atl 17; paloffs

1991: Skins 33, @Dallas 31; paloffs

1990: @SF 26, Skins 13; NP

1989: Eagles 42, @Skins 37; NP

1988: @Skins 30, Pitt 29; NP

1987: @Atl 21, Skins 20; paloffs

Of the Game2's, 4 out of 8 years we won game2, we were in the playoffs. Another of those we started 7-1, only to fold down the stretch. So, based on Game2, there's a 50-50 chance we'll make the playoffs if we win.

But, more importantly, based on stats since 1988, there's a 100% chance we WON'T make the playoffs if we lose Game2. You have to go back to 1987 where we lost Game2 yet still made the playoffs! So it's not necessarily that if we beat the Eagles this week we're selling playoff tickets. It's more like if we lose, we'll be home for Christmas...

I've not heard it mentioned. In 2005, Chicago was driving for what might have been the winning FG, they were flagged twice in a row for false starts due to fan noise and the drive was stopped. Sunday, Miami had the ball 3-2 and looked like they'd make the first then they lose 10 yards on two consecutive false starts brought on by fan noise.

I hope you know that by starting this thread, you've rested many peoples playoff hopes on this game.

Don't shoot the thread starter. I was getting ready to post one very similar, only I would've entitled it: If we don't win this game we won't make the playoffs this year.

So the peoples hopes should rest on this game.

hahaha, dammit. I mean I did say this game doesnt hinge on our playoff hopes...there will still be 14 games left...

Its all about momentum.

I fully agree with you on that point. Winning this game will be a huge lift for this team and a momentum roller. Just think, it would put us at 2-0 and put us in a postion to bust through the Giants and put as at 3-0 and 2-0 in the division.

Many threads have been started regarding our next few games and how we could very possibly go 6-0, and it all starts with Philly.

But at the same time, if we lose at Philly, we can still come home and beat the Giants to put ourselves back on track.

Don't shoot the thread starter. I was getting ready to post one very similar, only I would've entitled it: If we don't win this game we won't make the playoffs this year.

So the peoples hopes should rest on this game.

That's a very irrational way of looking at it. I wouldn't put so much on a trend, trends are always put to an end. As I said, even if we lose at Philly, we can still right our path by coming back and beating the Giants the next week.

...Many threads have been started regarding our next few games and how we could very possibly go 6-0, and it all starts with Philly.

But at the same time, if we lose at Philly, we can still come home and beat the Giants to put ourselves back on track.

That's a very irrational way of looking at it. I wouldn't put so much on a trend, trends are always put to an end. As I said, even if we lose at Philly, we can still right our path by coming back and beating the Giants the next week.

Can't go 6-0 without first being 2-0.

How we have historically done against NY in September and October (and it has to be a nice Fall day!) is another thread for another time.

Irrational perhaps. I tend to view it from a historical perspective, with a tiny slant towards superstition. And yes, we did have that long string of losses to Dallas recently, an almost equally dreadful string to the Giants in the 90's and that streak of 7 or 8 games in a row to Philly all decided by less than a touchdown. Streaks do eventually break (don't ask University of Maryland fans about Penn State streaks right now), and this one will too.

However you choose to look at this, beating Philly is the best option just about anyway you slice it (provided the injury bug stays away).

I hope the results are the same, but i hope they come via a different method... aka win by a blow out.

man aren't we long overdue a blowout win over the eagles?!? dang I'm ready for a blowout lol these close games are killing me ... please please let us get a blowut win ! :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :helmet: :logo: :point2sky :cheers:

Beating them is the best option over what? Losing to them? Well DUH;) :D

It sounds that simple doesn't it? I think it was during Pettibone's year that we went 2-0 in convincing fashion. But at the same time the team got anciently old overnight and had injuries all over the place. Winning the second game wasn't worth the price paid to do it.

All that was inferred in what I said. Didn't you see it?:)

Archived