Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 5 Skins-eagles Games Of All Time

method man

that body bag game may be in the top 5 for Eagles fan's, but i don't think many of us skins fans feel that it was that great...now the playoff game that year where we went up there and stomped them is in my top 5.

I remember reading about that. Gibbs hated Buddy Ryan and really got our guys to feel some true hatred for the Eagles and we went in and blew them out (I think it was early 90s...correct me if I'm wrong). Any George Allen-Dick Vermeil battles in the 70s?

Here's a few:

1982 season opener at the Vet: Skins win a OT thriller 37-34 in which Moseley hits a long (48-yard?) FG to send it in OT and then another to win....our first win in what turned out to be a magical season

1989, second game of the season, RFK: We had just lost a heartbreaker to NY at home in which they kicked a 52-yarder at the gun. This game was a wild one, we jumped out big early but Randall Cunningham led the Birds back. We had a chance to salt it away late in the game in Philly territory but Gerald Riggs (who had over 200 yards that day) fumbled and Philly got a huge runback, allowing Cunningham to throw for the winning score. 42-37 Eagles. Ouch!

Early 1991, playoff game at Vet: our revenge for the Body Bag game. Our defense smothers Cunningham and Jim McMahon. 20-6 Skins.....bye bye Buddy Ryan.

I don't think so. We barely squeaked by in that game even with us having the motivation of being only one game from the playoffs. I distinctly remember us losing in the first half.

I thought it was a good game. Winning in Philly is always tough. We pulled it out with some clutch plays in the end.

I dont know if it would be top 5, but it was a good game.

that body bag game may be in the top 5 for Eagles fan's, but i don't think many of us skins fans feel that it was that great...now the playoff game that year where we went up there and stomped them is in my top 5.

My feelings exactly. Winning that 1990 playoff game at Philly was definitely sweet payback!

I would rate that 2005 season finale win at Philly a very close second.

There were a few others from the Norv era that stand out in my mind, only because I was there: In 1996 we started out 7-1 with our only loss coming to the Eagles at RFK. The matchup at the Vet was a barnburner that we survived 28-23, holding off an Eagles drive at the end. We were 8-3 as I walked out of the Vet that day and I was flying high, thinking that we were a shoe-in for the playoffs. How wrong I was :(

1999 featured some good ones as well. The one at the Vet featured the first start ever of Donovan McNabb. I think the Skins were like 5-3 coming in and we lost 35-28.....I recall the Skins had a key late interception called back because of a defensive penalty and I was soooo pissed. Then the return match at FedEx was a nailbiter as the Skins won 20-17 on a late FG.

For me, one of the best was November 2005, at FedEx.

1) we held my bachelor party at that game :)

2) McNabb tried the ol' trick play right before half - pretrend to kneel and then try to pass - but got freaking ROCKED!

3) McNabb picked off on 4th and whatever at our 10 yd line with about 20 seconds to go. And if I remember right, their best player, B West, wasn't even on the field for that play.

WE WIN!!

I remember reading about that. Gibbs hated Buddy Ryan and really got our guys to feel some true hatred for the Eagles and we went in and blew them out (I think it was early 90s...correct me if I'm wrong). Any George Allen-Dick Vermeil battles in the 70s?

Hate is putting it mildly:laugh: . Leading up to that game the Eagles ran their mouths

Jerome Brown(bless his soul), Seth Joyner all of them ran their mouth how they knocked us around they took our hearts blah blah blah.

Ask around I am sure some of the older fans may have that playoff game on tape maybe they can dub it so you can see how sweet of an victory that was.

I still have the Monday Night game on tape when the 92 Superbowl Skins stomped the Eagles 23-0. That was a playoff Eagle team with Reggie White, Jerome Brown, Clyde Simmons, Randall Cunningham etc. Wasn't a great game if you weren't a Skins fan. They put it to the Beagles.

I don't think so. We barely squeaked by in that game even with us having the motivation of being only one game from the playoffs. I distinctly remember us losing in the first half.

Isn't that what makes a good game? I find that way more exciting than blowing a team out and knowing the game is pretty much decided by halftime.

Hate is putting it mildly:laugh: . Leading up to that game the Eagles ran their mouths

Jerome Brown(bless his soul), Seth Joyner all of them ran their mouth how they knocked us around they took our hearts blah blah blah.

Ask around I am sure some of the older fans may have that playoff game on tape maybe they can dub it so you can see how sweet of an victory that was.

In 15 years of watching Gibbs on the sidelines, that is the ONLY time I have ever see him come close to personally celebrating a victory with an outward gesture. At the end of the game, for a brief moment, Gibbs looked out across the field, and raised both of his hands triumphantly with a look of complete vindication on his face. He clearly relished that win.

My two favorites are the '82 season opener already mentioned and the last game of the season at RFK in '73 (Dec. 16). The Skins blew out the Eagles, 38-20, during a 9-inch snowstorm. Kilmer and Brown had field days, it was Christmastime, we got the next day off from school because of the snow and the Skins were headed to the playoffs (where they lost to the Vikings the next week).

In 15 years of watching Gibbs on the sidelines, that is the ONLY time I have ever see him come close to personally celebrating a victory with an outward gesture. At the end of the game, for a brief moment, Gibbs looked out across the field, and raised both of his hands triumphantly with a look of complete vindication on his face. He clearly relished that win.

"win with style men, win with style..."

Yeah, Coach didn't care too much for Buddy...:eaglesuck

Archived