Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many teams can Ladell Betts start for????

CrypticVillain

Now this isn't to rain on Betts' parade, I happen to like him as a person and a player. I agree that he should be given more carries but blaming his fumbling on the coaching is ridiculous. I'm well aware of Coughlin's curing of Tiki's fumbling problem but that is 99.9% on the player. We don't see Clinton having fumbling issues, or Cooley, or Santana. Most of our other guys don't either but they don't touch the ball enough to be relevent....

Actually, while I think I agree with your point in general, specifically, Santana, Portis and Cooley have ALL had very inopportune fumbles over the last several years. See GB and TB games in 2007, and the Rams game in 2008. They are not as many as Betts, but those aren't good examples.

Having said that, I agree with your general point that fumbles are not on the coaches entirely. You do coach the players to hold onto the ball, but the player has to hold onto the ball.

And as to McD5's point that you just have them carry the ball around for a week, that's a wives tale that doesn't work. It's about mentality and knowing the situation. Most of the worst of the Betts fumbles are ones where he should just go down and live to fight another day, but he's giving extra effort when he doesn't need to. If he just fell down in the Seattle game last year, it would have been better than fighting for extra yardage.

Regarding HOW MANY TEAMS CAN BETTS START FOR?

I would say about 967 but that includes some college teams and high schools.

Funny.

None!

Ladell Betts had his opportunity to demonstrate what he could or more importantly could not do when Portis went down a while back. He did a decent job, but not stellar. He is "Mr. Fumbles", and can't hit holes quickly.

If we could trade him to fill in some of other pressing needs the Skins would. But, as far as I can tell ... no one is interested.

I'm really surprised by some of the teams you are coming up with that Betts could start. I'm not a Betts hater (I don't think........) but maybe I'm missing something.

The Giants? really?

The Panthers??????? (over both their current RBs?) (here's a hint, Foster is no longer w/the Panthers.....)

Jags??? (MJD?)

Atlanta (Turner?)

Houston?

even NO, Tampa and Baltimore

the Titans????? :doh: (you didn't see Chris Johnson tear it up last year?)

just to mention some that were mentioned here.

hell, I'm not even sure Detroit is such a lock.. Kevin Smith did admirable as a rookie on a train-wreck last season.

Denver, he becomes another part of a RB mush, so I guess conceivably he could start, not that it would matter there.

Oakland, he doesn't start over their no. 1 draft pick.

Buffalo, eh, maybe. At least he'd get 3 games to show his wares but Jackson is basically the same player so who knows if he'd actually start.

Pats could probably use him. 'hawks, maybe....thinking about it a little, there are a lot of good, young backs out there. I doubt even in KC, they have Johnson w/Jamaal Charles waiting.

I would think he's certainly worth more to the Skins than what the Skins could get for him.

i remember this thread from back in the day but i didnt notice it had been bumped off the bat. lol, awesome bump.

packers, texans, patriots, seahawks, broncos, and the saints are the only teams i could see him having a shot at starting for. saints and texans have the slasher guys but not the grinders. ryan grant is not a legit back, the pats have no real starter, and the broncos use a committee all the time.

but im not sure at this point that betts is worth anything to anyone but us. we need to keep him at this point and sign a developmental guy.

I like Betts. I think he could start for a few other teams. He is a downhill, cut and go type runner, so whatever team he went to would have to have a good run blocking line.

That being said, I think he is a great complement to Portis and I hope Zorn uses him a little more this year.

I'd say none and I think Ladell Betts and his agent must agree with me.

If he or his agent thought he could be a starter, they would never have agreed to resign here in 2006 while he was having a strong finish to the season.

Some will be Pollyannish and suggest that "Betts likes it here" and stuff like that but I don't buy it. If he, or more importantly his agent, believed that he could start and get starter money elsewhere they would have done so when they had the greatest leverage after the 2006 season.

Now 2 unremarkable seasons later, he's even less appealing.

Betts is one of those guys that can last a while if they find the right team and niche or can be out of the league in a heartbeat as newer and younger players who can do what he does come into the league.

I think he and his agent knew this and that's why they quickly signed that idiotic contract that the Redskins gave him two years ago.

I'm really surprised by some of the teams you are coming up with that Betts could start. I'm not a Betts hater (I don't think........) but maybe I'm missing something.

The Giants? really?

The Panthers??????? (over both their current RBs?) (here's a hint, Foster is no longer w/the Panthers.....)

Jags??? (MJD?)

Atlanta (Turner?)

Houston?

even NO, Tampa and Baltimore

the Titans????? :doh: (you didn't see Chris Johnson tear it up last year?)

just to mention some that were mentioned here.

hell, I'm not even sure Detroit is such a lock.. Kevin Smith did admirable as a rookie on a train-wreck last season.

Denver, he becomes another part of a RB mush, so I guess conceivably he could start, not that it would matter there.

Oakland, he doesn't start over their no. 1 draft pick.

Buffalo, eh, maybe. At least he'd get 3 games to show his wares but Jackson is basically the same player so who knows if he'd actually start.

Pats could probably use him. 'hawks, maybe....thinking about it a little, there are a lot of good, young backs out there. I doubt even in KC, they have Johnson w/Jamaal Charles waiting.

I would think he's certainly worth more to the Skins than what the Skins could get for him.

:rotflmao: dude this thread is like 2 years old

Archived