Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

springs at the nickel?

sabadahabada

Yea, that took me by surprise too. Apparently the coaches didn't even tell him he was going to be nickel until the game, which is also odd.

He was all smiles though, so maybe it's just a temporary thing, like he tweaked something and since we have Smoot and Rogers they didn't feel like he needed to play every down.

It probably has to do with his injury recovery and not rushing him too soon.

I concur. GW continues to insist he has "three starting corners and will rotate them as such." He also said they were going with this "rotation" today because of the heat. I don't buy that though. Springs is clearly the best of the three. I have to belive they are limiting him because he is less than 100%. But if that is in fact the case, he looked great today, better than the other two, injured or not.

Carlos and Smoot need to get alittle better. But, if all 3 guys are being rotated for the sake of staying fresh. That's fine.

Otherwise, I am curious to know "why" also.

Agree. Weird set of circumstances the way Smoot was getting handled but we'll see what happens in Philly...oh man I can't wait!:eaglesuck

That really puzzled me as well. There must be more there than meets the eye but do agree with everyone else...we're better off with Springs on the corner. Maybe we'll hear more about this decision later in the week. I'm really curious as to the real reason.

I hope the Skins aren't benching our best corner (Springs) just because his future with the team is uncertain beyond this season, due to his cap number and unwillingness to take a pay cut.

I do not want a repeat of the mistakes we made with Champ Bailey.

This through me for a loop as well. Here I was thinking our secondary was all in order for once, and then we have the guy I think is going to be our number #3 CB covering their #1 WR.

I didn't like the Chambers/Smoot matchup much. I would have much preferred to see Springs covering him.

I must say, this move struck me as utter madness. I hope this is not the egomaniacal Gregg Williams snubbing Springs for some idiotic personal reason, or in order to prove some sort of counterinutitive point. Starting Smoot and/or Rogers over a healthy Springs is simple lunacy. Furthermore, alerting Springs to the fact that he'd be playing nickel five minutes before game time is petty nonsense -- a classic Gregg Williams bit of class.

This defense better perform a heck of a lot better than it did today if the Skins are going to go anywhere this year. Such improvement should begin with -- heaven forbid --actually starting our best cornerback. Williams should be taken to the woodshed at once for allowing this nonsense to transpire at all-

Increase (a bit salty tonight)

I tell you what Springs is our only good CB right now. Smoot got beat all day long. Then he had a chance to redeem himself and he blew it. I thought for sure it was Rogers until I saw the jersey number. I also have to give Roger some props for getting beat on that TD pass.:doh:

Whatever the reason, this was rediculas. When I saw him not in the starting lineup, and not on the field as much as Smoot, I starting getting angrier by the minute. Smoot was not on his game, and when Springs is not in the game our defense is really limited (just look at last year).

Williams went more with a cover 3 today and the combination of Springs not 100% and Smoot being better suited to this coverage probably led to the shift.

Don't know why they didn't tell them until just before the game, but in all honesty, I'm not upset with that. Springs didn't feel the need to return Gibbs phone calls in the offseason, so you get the respect you give.

Archived