Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How to effectively attack the Dolphin's Defense

E-Dog Night

Mostly, I'm looking for your input, ye knowledgeable Redskins fan base. I always learn something on here.

My thoughts on the matter are this:

Conventional wisdom states that the Redskins will try to establish the run to set up the pass. My guess is that the Redskins are going to struggle mounting an effective running game, especially if they try to run on first & second downs early in the game. With the lack of preseason running success, Portis & Samuels coming back from injuries, and Pete Kendall (a better pass blocker than run blocker) getting acclimated), it seems unlikely that all these issues will magically disappear against Miami's front 7.

If they can get a few good runs up the middle early in the game, all that could change, but I wouldn't count on it. Yes, the Dolphins were far more susceptible to a middle running attack towards the end of last season as opposed to perimeter runs, so if the Skins do have success, the middle is the place where it will happen.

Miami's secondary is obviously their weaker unit, so it makes sense to attack them first. Of course, the worry is that Dom Capers will turn Jason Taylor & Joey Porter loose on Campbell, and the Redskins will have trouble picking up Capers' creative blitzes. That also means Cooley will have to be left in on pass protection, and Cooley has pretty much been Campbell's favorite target. I don't expect Cooley to have to big an impact tomorrow for that reason.

Take all that into account, and this presents a significant challenge for the coaching staff to come up with an effective game plan. Quick drops with short, controlled passes to WRs seems like the logical solution, but is this the Redskins game? I don't think so. However, they will have to make it work if they want to sustain a consistent offensive threat against the Phins.

I also expect to see some sprint go patterns along the sidelines, particularly to Randle El when he has single coverage, to test/loosen the Dolphins secondary.

Thoughts?

I've said this before several times and I'll say it again.

In order to run effectiively against the Dolphins, I think that we will have to run right at them. Our offensive line is a lot bigger and stronger than their defensive line, while they are much quicker than us. So we pound the ball right up the middle in the 1,2,3, and 4 holes (1 hole is between the C and the LG, the 3 hole is between the LG and the LT, the 2 hole is between the C and the RG and the 4 hole is between the RG and the RT). Using our strength to push the line of scrimage back five + yards letting our RBs get up field. Then I think that we use play action, to take advantage of their speed and agresivness, I would actually like to see us use play action on the very first play from scrimage, just to try and take advantage, as well as force the Dolphin D to stay honest.

I think one of the most important things that we can do is keep the Dolphins D off balance, and guessing what is coming. We can NOT just run the ball on first and second down, every series or it's going to be a long, LONG day for our offense.

As far as our Defense goes, I think that as long as we continue to swarm the ball and stay withen our scheme we should be could. We just can't try to do to much, and get over pursue.

Our offensive line is a lot bigger and stronger than their defensive line

I like much of what you said, but the Dolphins do have Keith Traylor at one of their tackle positions. While he's close to AARP age by NFL standards, he does weigh 340 pounds. Every one else, though, is under 290 (though they do have a couple of backups in the 300 lb range). Jason Taylor is 255, but with the Dolphins hybrid 4/3 - 3/4 scheme, he'll float around in several different places. I actually expect him to spend more time in a LB role, with Traylor as NT in a 3/4 lineup.

Still, up the middle is the place to go against the Phins, to be sure.

I think we can definitely establish the run against Miami Dolphins. In the preseason, we have gone against THREE teams with run defense better than Miami: Pittsburgh Steelers, Jacksonville Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens. Something tells me our running-game performance in the preseason will motivate our players to do better. Plus, Portis is hungry as well. Miami Dolphins have a good running defense, but it is not in the caliber of the aforementioned defenses. They were actually ranked 8th in terms of rushing defense. However, their passing defense was ranked 5th. That's because, while their secondary is mediocre, they have elite pass rushers. With the addition of Joey Porter, their pass defense has gotten better. I say we try to establish the run. Passing may be a bit rough. If we want to pass, we should try to throw quick passes.

I say we run right at Jason Taylor and scare him some.

I think we can definitely establish the run against Miami Dolphins. In the preseason, we have gone against THREE teams with run defense better than Miami: Pittsburgh Steelers, Jacksonville Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens. Something tells me our running-game performance in the preseason will motivate our players to do better. Plus, Portis is hungry as well. Miami Dolphins have a good running defense, but it is not in the caliber of the aforementioned defenses. They were actually ranked 8th in terms of rushing defense. However, their passing defense was ranked 5th. That's because, while their secondary is mediocre, they have elite pass rushers. With the addition of Joey Porter, their pass defense has gotten better. I say we try to establish the run. Passing may be a bit rough. If we want to pass, we should try to throw quick passes.

I say we run right at Jason Taylor and scare him some.

I dunno. Not saying I've watched a ton of Dolphins games, but I have noticed that Taylor has the ability to shed/evade blockers and make plays in the run game.

And Jacksonville didn't start either of their 1st team DT's, and had few if any starters on the field against our 1st team offense, so any success we had running against them isn't going to likely be replicated. And judging from the evidence against the Steelers, Ravens, & Titans, the running game is a month or so away from really coming together.

I know it sounds like I'm being gloomy, and I definitely believe that the running game will be solid come October. But right now it's a bit iffy. The Phins' game plan has got to be: "stuff the run and make Campbell beat us". I just don't see the Redskins upsetting that plan unless Campbell beats them early.

Oh well...we still have the edge in the running game, and I believe in the passing game as well.

I have a good bet on this game :cool:

There's no doubt in my mind that the Redskins have the better offense. I think we will win as well, but it strikes me as the kind of game where 1 turnover or 1 big play on special teams will change everything.

JRFRIEDM, you pretty much took the words out of my mouth. I think we do have to take it right to the middle of their defense all day long. There are ways of doing even that they would expect...for example, the dolphins and capers would NEVER expect our first two or three running plays to be Mike Sellers right up the gut and I think he'd get about 4-5 yards per carry. Then I'd be feeding Portis...it's wierd that for as quick/fast as he is, since he's been here he seems to rather run right up the middle then try and beat people to the edge.

Notice I also said our first few RUNNING plays. Because personally, just as you said and just like last year, I would love to see our first play be a play action deep ball only this time to Santana.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Redskins have the better offense. I think we will win as well, but it strikes me as the kind of game where 1 turnover or 1 big play on special teams will change everything.

I feel that way as well. For some reason, I think we will have a top 10 D, so I really like our chances on this one.

As for my bet (since I can't open a thread):

I made a bet with my Regional HR Manager for a dress up:

When our executive team comes down next quarter (CEO/founder, Senior VP, and VP) I will be giving a presentation for a promotion before the quarterly meeting.

If the Skins win, my HR Manager will be dressed as a Hogette for all his interviews that day, as well as the meeting with them.

If the Fins win, I will be wearing a Dolphin cheerleader outfit for my presentation, as well as the monthly meeting.

:laugh:

Unless Al Saunders has completely abandoned the scheme that was so successful for him in Kansas City, he will try to stretch and spread the field -- using the pass to set up the runs underneath. He is not a proponent of the old "establish the run to set up play action" theory.

If the Fins win, I will be wearing a Dolphin cheerleader outfit for my presentation, as well as the monthly meeting.

Good Lord. Talk about added incentive. You might think about bribing some photographer for his sideline pass & spiking the Dolphins gatorade cooler with some extra-strength Ex Lax, just for insurance.

I'm a big fan of Gibbs old 2 te sets and run right at em. Set Moss on the outside and spread the field with him to keep them honest.

thats the NFC East smashmouth football that made Gibbs so famous. beat them down with the run and that will open up the pass. and with having 3 backs (portis, betts and cartwright) in the backfield to do it we should be able to pound the ball up in there and get what we needed done.

HTTR!!

Notice I also said our first few RUNNING plays. Because personally, just as you said and just like last year, I would love to see our first play be a play action deep ball only this time to Santana.

I totally agree. They will be stacking the box against young JC to begin with, so let's let Moss do what he does best against Will Allen, and that's eat him for breakfast (or lunch, if it was a late night yesterday). They should pay for being so aggressive in taking away our run game.

The fact that us diehards aren't sure whether we're a run-first team (Gibbs) or a pass-first team (Saunders) means that the dolphins don't know either. That's a good thing. :)

I'm okay with coming out and passing on first downs assuming it's three-steps and fire and we balance it out by running on the occasional passing down. Anything but run, run, pass, punt.

Archived