Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How to effectively attack the Dolphin's Defense

E-Dog Night

Unless Al Saunders has completely abandoned the scheme that was so successful for him in Kansas City, he will try to stretch and spread the field -- using the pass to set up the runs underneath. He is not a proponent of the old "establish the run to set up play action" theory.
I'm leaning towards this strategy.

At the outset I see interspersiong quick plays wide with quick runs up the middle. (Okay, maybe a nibble or two at medium-long range passing, but just to keep the Fins from crowding too many guys in the box)

Then in the later quarters, we are going to bring out some of the longer passing stuff -- after the heat and conditioning factors start to slow down the Fins' pass-rushers. When the Fins secondary starts having to lay back, we will ice things with our running game.

I suspect our defense is going to keep us in the game early on, and that will let our offense acclimate, and then accelerate past the Fins.

I think that if we run the ball well we should be able to absolutely pass all over the dolphins. Their secondary is average at best. They have a good front 7. The secondary will be their weakness and that is what we should be exploiting when we have a chance. All right coach sanders, let's get this 700 page offense off the ground and moving.

I am glad to see that at least some of you recognize that the Skins canot just run on first down and 2nd down and then try to pass on 3rd down. But the point I have making is that it is the TYPE of pass that the Skins try that allows them to fail.

Everybody plays 8-9 men at the line of scrimmage against the Redskins because EVERYBODY knows the Skins will run the ball on first down most of the time. Therefore, until the Skins get 8-9 men away from the line of scrimmage, by throwing 20 yard passes, or 40 yard passes, then they will not be able to run or move the ball with those 6 yard passes.

Good Lord. Talk about added incentive. You might think about bribing some photographer for his sideline pass & spiking the Dolphins gatorade cooler with some extra-strength Ex Lax, just for insurance.

Only in Jason Taylor's drink - he will be the biggest problem we face tomorrow. If we can contain him, we WILL win this game.

For your sake alone, I hope we win.

Thanks....I'm starting to get a bit nervous :D

Much like last year, any defense will be first focused on stopping the run. So I think its key to take at least one shot downfield very early, as well as passing the ball frequently enough to keep the D guessing. Then I think, once they cant commit more than 7 to the run, we can really pound the ball on them. But at this point, with several linemen getting acclamaited to the offense, the key is to keep them guessing. Thats going to be Saunders job, and JC's to execute.

1. Stick with the run so their DL is tired 2nd half. No matter what. Rough stuff right up the middle.

2. First half, go for long, but not deep passes. Long enough to loosen up the D, but not so long that Cambpell can't get the ball away quickly. 2nd half, go deep, but make it at unpredictable times, when Taylor, etc. not teed up to pass rush. On 1st downs, or 2nd and short.

3. Do NOT run a predictable offense that allows Miami's pass rushers to tee up.

4. 2nd half, when their D is tired, have RBs grind it out, and then murder them deep after we've run lotsa running plays.

5. More Portis, less Betts, because Portis is MUCH better at picking up Blitz.

6. Dink and dunk to Cooley on releases.

7. Have #2 reciever be a legit threat, so Moss isn't perpetually double-teamed.

Blah, run first, set up the pass...boring strategy 101.

I think we should run trips right with Samuels as an eligible receiever. Have Sellars split out and at the snap, reverse and take the handoff from Cooley, who will be at HB taking the handoff from Campbell. Sellars sprints out and throws throws the deep fade to Samuels. Of course Portis and Moss stay in to block to give Samuels the two minutes needed to complete the route.

Of course if that doesn't go for the touchdown, it's okay because the Dolphins sideline and the rest of the viewing world will be stuck in WTF mode for the rest of the day. We can go back to running Portis up the middle to set up the pass. Shock therapy baby.

Archived