Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC : Things to Watch

wbar3383

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 10:52 AM ET, 09/ 5/2007

Things To Watch

People close to Brunell tell me the veteran believes he will be the No. 3 QB this season, but the passers are still waiting to get word from Gibbs. Imagine he'll go ahead and tell them in the next few days, with Sunday fast approaching and all.

The Jason Taylor vs. Chris Samuels battle will be huge. Taylor got the best of him 4 years ago in Miami - albeit in Spurrier's sack-friendly system - and Chris himself knows he's going to been a few weeks to be four-quarters strong and fully conditioned after such a long layoff with the knee sprain. The second half should be interesting for the O Line, especially if it's a muggy day.

I have a feeling if Marcus Washington does play we won't be seeing him with his hand down on third-down just yet. That dislocated elbow is no joke. Rookie Chris Wilson could end up getting the rush end duties in the nickel package and the onus will be on Rocky McIntosh and London Fletcher to take care of business in coverage in that package.

I know some people are down on the Skins for keeping so many kids, but I can tell you this. I spoke with people on various teams who were ready to pounce if Reed Doughty, Leigh Torrence or Chris Wilson were cut, for instance

I thought Doughty gained some confidence in Williams' systems and looked to be in better position than last year. He appears to be a strong special teamer as well..... definitely a plus. We could see him become a nice reserve safety for this team..... plus he's younger.

I really like Kris Wilson, he gets good pressure consistently. I thought that was a very wise move.

i saw this in training camp as well as the preseason. dude gets that nice burst off the line, hopefully this translates into some much needed line pressure.

doughty is great for special teams, and his tackling would make him a great in the box saftey, hes most likely the backup for landry in that situation.

dont know enough about torrence, but he cant be worse than jimoh, so hes an upgrade.

I'm not surprised by any of the names JLC mentioned. I know some people on the board weren't able to watch too much of the preseasson, but Leigh Torrence acquitted himself quite well, Chris Wilson is a work in progress but definitely has potential, and Reed Doughty is perhaps a little underappreciated on this roster.

Not a Doughty guy Riggo? I like him myself. I feel about Mason the same you do about Doughty it seems...

Actually, I like Doughty, but he seemed to me to be more of a GW scheme fit or s special teamer than anything else. I'm happy he made the team, because he seems like a great guy, but I just am a bit surprised given his lack of speed that other teams were waiting to "pounce" the second he got released.

I'm not much of a Mason guy myself, though I guess the coaching staff believes with his good vision maybe they can beef him up enough to be a power RB. To me he's too much of a 'tweener - not fast enough to be a breakaway threat, but not strong enough to break tackles. He does have great vision and patience though, so maybe there's some possibility

Its obvious that the Taylor/Samuels will be the fight of the day. No brainer.

As for the Doughty, Wilson and Torrence comment, I guess I'm impressed. Don't get me wrong, I hate the Yankees, but they are very much our equivalent in the MLB. In the past few years, they basically gave up on their prospects and hungry ol George told Cashman to bring in old vets to win now. Well that didn't work, so now they are actually keeping young players instead of trading them and developing them (ie. starting/relief pitching)

Guess my point is, I like keeping some of the young guys around and developing them instead of buying FA crap like we always do.

Actually, I like Doughty, but he seemed to me to be more of a GW scheme fit or s special teamer than anything else. I'm happy he made the team, because he seems like a great guy, but I just am a bit surprised given his lack of speed that other teams were waiting to "pounce" the second he got released.

Gotcha

To me he's too much of a 'tweener - not fast enough to be a breakaway threat, but not strong enough to break tackles.

Exactly how I see him too...

He does have great vision and patience though, so maybe there's some possibility

Meh, perhaps - the patience part I can somewhat see...

Its obvious that the Taylor/Samuels will be the fight of the day. No brainer.

As for the Doughty, Wilson and Torrence comment, I guess I'm impressed. Don't get me wrong, I hate the Yankees, but they are very much our equivalent in the MLB. In the past few years, they basically gave up on their prospects and hungry ol George told Cashman to bring in old vets to win now. Well that didn't work, so now they are actually keeping young players instead of trading them and developing them (ie. starting/relief pitching)

Guess my point is, I like keeping some of the young guys around and developing them instead of buying FA crap like we always do.

This has been rehashed on plenty of times.

Just a question from the somewhat uninformed but where did we find Chris Wilson? was he a camp walk-on? Inquiring minds want to know (and please don't shred me for not knowing this). thanks!

He came over from the CFL like many have already posted and I just wanted to be last to inform you. :silly:

Archived