Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Exciting/Intense Jobs? International Jobs? Ideas?

DCBnG21

Can anyone here lend a hand? I'm going nuts in my job...it's great and I'm treated very well, but I need some adventure in my life, and I seem to be having a hard time finding a new career path that isn't impossible to get into.

Here's the situation: I'm a us citizen, but I grew up in Asia (and speak a foreign language) and have been living back in the states for a while. I have several years of product support (web products) & client service operations management experience. Not surprisingly, I'm really not finding any type of exciting or even international careers that I can translate that into.

I know that I may not have the necessary job skills to transfer to something immediately, but I'm really just trying to find a few potential career paths so that I can explore/work towards them. I'm willing to go back to school or start small if necessary... Any ideas, suggestions?

What do you love to do?

Great question; I mostly like facing different things all the time.

I like working with a mix of technology and people, and I like dealing with the uncertain and last minute and having to formulate solutions, etc. I generally get turned to help out with or run any of our last minute "oh-crap" projects at work, but web implementations have a very low excitement level. :) And travel, I love to travel.

I like working with a mix of technology and people, and I like dealing with the uncertain and last minute and having to formulate solutions, etc. I generally get turned to help out with or run any of our last minute "oh-crap" projects at work, And travel, I love to travel.

sounds like a CIA job to me

I like working with a mix of technology and people, and I like dealing with the uncertain and last minute and having to formulate solutions, etc. I generally get turned to help out with or run any of our last minute "oh-crap" projects at work, but web implementations have a very low excitement level. :) And travel, I love to travel.

I think there are a ton of opportunities internationally for people that can speak multiple languages. There is also very good money to be made if you are willing to travel. I'm also bilingual, and if I wasn't strapped down with a wife and 3 youngins I would definitely be doing something outside of the US. I was just reading the other day about an opportunity in Moscow in my field making 3 times what I make here. If I didn't have a family, I'd be all over that for a few years.

I suggest you try to think of what you want to do, and find somebody in need of that something, instead of just looking for a job. You're in technology, perhaps you could research companies that are setting up new offices in foriegn countries that need help setting up their networks ect. Technology is spreading world wide, and we're way ahead of most countries here in the US. Your knowledge of technology, your ability to work with others, and the fact that you are bilingual makes you quite an asset to a company trying to move into the international market.

Maybe you could start by just doing a lot of searching on the internet. "International technologies"? or maybe "American technology companies building foreign offices"? Seems like google is your friend right now.

Hope this helps...good luck.

Can anyone here lend a hand? I'm going nuts in my job...it's great and I'm treated very well, but I need some adventure in my life, and I seem to be having a hard time finding a new career path that isn't impossible to get into.

Here's the situation: I'm a us citizen, but I grew up in Asia (and speak a foreign language) and have been living back in the states for a while. I have several years of product support (web products) & client service operations management experience. Not surprisingly, I'm really not finding any type of exciting or even international careers that I can translate that into.

I know that I may not have the necessary job skills to transfer to something immediately, but I'm really just trying to find a few potential career paths so that I can explore/work towards them. I'm willing to go back to school or start small if necessary... Any ideas, suggestions?

Join the Marine Corps. You won't be bored :)

Become an International (American) School teacher in a "dangerous" country (like Syria or Pakistan). You get danger pay and you are given all the necessities like a car and house. American dollars go a long way and you can save a ton of money and its exciting being in a foreign land. My cousin is one and he loves it. He also says the other American teachers create a great environment so you're not bored.

Join the Marine Corps. You won't be bored :)

Actually, I wish I could join the military, but I have a small re-entry code problem... :doh: There are no limits to the stupidity of a 19 year old. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to impact anything outside of limiting my military opportunities, but believe me, I'd take it back if I could.

Maybe you could start by just doing a lot of searching on the internet. "International technologies"? or maybe "American technology companies building foreign offices"? Seems like google is your friend right now.

Hope this helps...good luck.

Thanks GSF; much appreciated. Google is most certainly my friend (actually a new job search site called indeed.com as well; it searches all job sites.) I actually hadn't thought of that angle though and will start looking into that.

Actually, I wish I could join the military, but I have a small re-entry code problem... :doh: There are no limits to the stupidity of a 19 year old. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to impact anything outside of limiting my military opportunities, but believe me, I'd take it back if I could.
Same boats as me. I even talked to a SeaBee recruiter a few months ago. I could be a 42 year old, non english speaking woman with children and get into the Navy, but smoke a little grass and pick a couple of fights and there is no way.

I try, every once in a while to find odd jobs, myself and haave no luck. Jobs where they send you out somewhere for 3 months and all you do is work like a nut in a strange dangerous place and make bank, but I don't know where to find them. I'm usually looking for Heavy Equipt jobs.

Archived