Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs Quote

dockeryfan

Actually, that is true. Could I be wrong one this one? Possibly.

But he also did bring in a host of other players early on that were horrible decisions, so I'm sticking to my original premise that he simply can't be a football guy. Ever.

The problem is, we don't know how involved he was in which decisions, so it's all a matter of opinion based on perception. That perception is, in turn, distorted by the media because they're the ones suggesting and guessing who's making the decisions. One thing I will say though, a lot of the bad decisions made had to do with accomidating what a new coaching staff wanted in terms of players. How do you know which decisions were who's? Or is it that somebody's got to take the blame so you throw a dart?

The simple truth is, we don't know what Dan knows about football nor which personnel decisions were/are his. Anything beyond that from us is uneducated opinion.

What we do know is that the Redskins as an organization, whoever's making the decisions, have had varying degrees of success in terms of acquiring players and have made a lot of boneheaded decisions. It seems to me that we've been well in the + in Gibbs' second tenure in terms of picking players.

He might not be a "football guy" but he had the insight to go after Cooley. A guy Parcell's said would never make it in the NFL.

woah... Snyder or Cooley? I mean, I've always had a sore spot for Parcells since he was back with the Giants... but he said that about Cooley? What a dummy! I wonder how he feels now...

On the topic of Snyder: not for nothing, but this guy is a billionare by virtue of his own sweat and work ethic. Guys like that aren't dumb. And dumb guys: they learn from their mistakes. Snyder made some, Lord knows. But he seems to me like he's coming around. Hired ol' Joe back, didn't he? And his mistakes are only from sheer desire to improve the team. Don't tell me that when he was bringing in Bruce Smith and that crew that you weren't like "oh h*ll yeah!" Except, obviously, for Deion (who to me was a Cowboy no matter how you cut it) and George (when Brad Johnson threw Porcher to the ground in the Lions game, I thought "he's my favorite quarterback since Ryipen!"). I may not like every move he makes...

... but it's his $800,000,000. Not mine. Course, it feels like it with every $75 ticket and $14 beer...

Latah,

JB

Dan Snyder is damned if he do and damned if he don't round here.

Which is why Gibbs tends to defend him and give him credit for the good things. He is looking out for his owner. Who cares? We all wanted Cooley locked up long term and now he is. Why make more of it than it is?

Which is why Gibbs tends to defend him and give him credit for the good things. He is looking out for his owner. Who cares? We all wanted Cooley locked up long term and now he is. Why make more of it than it is?

I think my point was the same as yours.

"When we made that deal, Dan was the one pushing, pushing to do it," Gibbs said. "He's been a really productive guy for us and it's great to get this done and get it out of the way. He's somebody who you'd think has earned it, and we think he's going to be here for a long time."

This whole quote is in reference to his new deal not when he was drafted. Cooley said himself he went to his position coach first about getting a deal done and it went all the way up to Dan. Cooley also stated that Dan then made it happen.

All the Snyder bashing in this thread is being done under false pretenses. There are plenty of things you can fault Snyder for, one doesn't need contrived bull**** to do it.

good point. Here's the preceding paragraph. JLC makes it seem like Gibbs is taking about the initial trade up for Cooley.

So your position that Snyder was the one who scouted and pushed for the trade-up to get Cooley is based on your spin on JLC's spin on what Gibbs was saying?

I tend to go along with the "Snyder pushed for the extension" spin on JLC's spin on what Gibbs was saying :)

I could be reading this wrong, but was Dan the one that pushing for the trade or for resigning him. Because it is one thing to evaluate talent prior to playing in the NFL, but its a whole another thing to pay the man after he is due up... Just my interpretation of the remarks...

For resigning him.

Dan handles the contracts

So Dan Snyder was the one who really trumpeted the trade up for Cooley??

I'm not sure if I like this. Cooley worked out great. Kudos.

But...

Dan is not a football guy. He never will be no matter how much he studies or tries. It's not a matter of effort, he just can never be a football guy, like a guy that's been IN football his whole life.

If we take Gibbs at his word here, all I can say is yikes.

It probably has been said, but he was referring to Snyder wanting the extension to get done, not actually drafting Cooley. It was a really good idea too.

Is this a joke?

That may be the worst argument for any plan of attack. The track record in this case is...one.

Thanks for a little sanity on this web site. People here just don't get it. And then they wonder why are are a joke around the NFL.

Archived