Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs Quote

dockeryfan

Washington traded a third-round pick in order to move up and select Cooley in the third round of the 2004 draft -- Coach Joe Gibbs's first after his return to the NFL -- and he has flourished since.

"When we made that deal, Dan was the one pushing, pushing to do it," Gibbs said. "He's been a really productive guy for us and it's great to get this done and get it out of the way. He's somebody who you'd think has earned it, and we think he's going to be here for a long time."

So Dan Snyder was the one who really trumpeted the trade up for Cooley??

I'm not sure if I like this. Cooley worked out great. Kudos.

But...

Dan is not a football guy. He never will be no matter how much he studies or tries. It's not a matter of effort, he just can never be a football guy, like a guy that's been IN football his whole life.

If we take Gibbs at his word here, all I can say is yikes.

So Snyder did something right, and you want to fault him for that? And how do you know Snyder can NEVER be a football guy? That is a total judgment call about someone who you don't know personally. So if someone follows football their whole lives, they can never know as much as guys who played it? There are succesful GMs and coaches in football who never played the game.

I could be reading this wrong, but was Dan the one that pushing for the trade or for resigning him. Because it is one thing to evaluate talent prior to playing in the NFL, but its a whole another thing to pay the man after he is due up... Just my interpretation of the remarks...

good point. Here's the preceding paragraph. JLC makes it seem like Gibbs is taking about the initial trade up for Cooley.

Washington traded a third-round pick in order to move up and select Cooley in the third round of the 2004 draft -- Coach Joe Gibbs's first after his return to the NFL -- and he has flourished since.

"When we made that deal, Dan was the one pushing, pushing to do it," Gibbs said. "He's been a really productive guy for us and it's great to get this done and get it out of the way. He's somebody who you'd think has earned it, and we think he's going to be here for a long time."

Who cares? It worked out didn't it?
That may be the worst argument for any plan of attack. The track record in this case is...one.

The fact remains that it sounds as if Cooley would not be on our team without Snyder pushing for him. When Gibbs stated that Dan pushed for this maybe it was pushing for the trade after someone else in the organization suggested it. Maybe even a scout (go figure :silly: ) but the fact remains he has been a productive part of the team and even better yet a fan favorite who seems to have a good outlook on being a part of this franchise. It could be said in short by....

moot point now.

I'm going to assume this is just poorly written by JLC and that what Gibbs means is Dan was pushing to get Cooley extended.

I just have a hard time believing that Danny would be so hot to trot over a tight end from Utah State we'd never heard of.

I have a much easier time believing JLC did a bad job structuring his paragraphs.

So if someone follows football their whole lives, they can never know as much as guys who played it? There are succesful GMs and coaches in football who never played the game.

Those GMs and coaches have been involved in football their entire lives.

Name one successful football coach or GM that started a second career in football late in life.

If someone watches football their entire life, they will not be as knowledgable as someone who plays. Yes. They won't be able to look at a corner and know that they have fluid hip motion by watching one play. A person who spends time watching players all their life will. You cannot learn intangibles like that. Snyder will never be able to do this. I can't believe you are even arguing this, lol.

It looks like Snyder was the one pushing for the deal to trade up and get him. I'm sure Gibbs and Vinny were the ones who said that they wanted Cooley in the first place, and Snyder was the one who OKed the trade up.

That's my take on it. Cooley was evaluated by the staff. The deal was put on the table and Snyder pushed for the deal to be made or signed off on it. Why is everyone ****ing about it now?

Snyder also wanted Santana and Marty took Gardner...maybe he has a better eye then some people think.

Actually, that is true. Could I be wrong one this one? Possibly.

But he also did bring in a host of other players early on that were horrible decisions, so I'm sticking to my original premise that he simply can't be a football guy. Ever.

Hard to tell if he is talking about the re-signing or the initial trade. Either way, it should be clear to everyone that Lil' Danny still has his meddling lil' fingers in everything.

Its apparent to me that the quote used is in reference to get Cooley extended and not about when we drafted him.

on edit: There are plenty of reasons to not like Snyder. This isn't one of them.

No... his track record speaks for itself.

F-

Question? Because all of us have made mistakes in life does this mean that we also haven't made good choices? I tend to think that with the mistakes we make we all have done some good things. I understand your dislike (and that might be an understatement) for Synder but lets not overlook the team as a whole today. I really believe the organization is on the right track to success. Of course, as with all of us, that is my opinion.

Those GMs and coaches have been involved in football their entire lives.

Name one successful football coach or GM that started a second career in football late in life.

If someone watches football their entire life, they will not be as knowledgable as someone who plays. Yes. They won't be able to look at a corner and know that they have fluid hip motion by watching one play. A person who spends time watching players all their life will. You cannot learn intangibles like that. Snyder will never be able to do this. I can't believe you are even arguing this, lol.

Dumb argument. People can and do learn new things throughout their lives. I would venture that Dan has better teachers of football knowledge than you. If he has a question he can call up Coach gibs and ask him. he has access to film that you will never see.

Chances are that Gibbs and Vinnie told Dan about Cooley, Dan looked at the film and listened to the praise Gibbs had for him and said "let's move up and grab him if you think he's that good."

But hey, If you feel the need to assume the worst or claim that spotting talent in football is brain surgery, be my guest. :doh:

Archived