Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami vs. Washington Preview: RBs and WRs

method man

I have a great idea for this season. For every week, we should do a position by position preview comparing and contrasting our opponent to ourselves. Everyone is welcome to do analysis. A schedule we could follow is:

Monday - RBs and WRs

Tuesday - QBs

Wednesday - OL and TEs

Thursday - DL and Special Teams

Friday - LBs

Saturday - Secondary

So,

Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts vs. Ronnie Brown and Jesse Chatman

This is a great matchup right here. I think we have more talent in the backfield and our OL will help our backs to show it. As we all know, Betts and Portis complement each other really well. Portis is the home run threat and blocker while Betts is the receiver who likes to go between the tackles. The Dolphins RB situation is very interesting. Cameron has said that he has not yet decided on a starter because Brown has looked a bit unimpressive in relation to Chatman. Chatman, according to all reports, has slimmed down and he is having a great training camp. He is basically a bowling ball in the mold of Rock Cartwright and I still don't know why the Chargers cut him. I think we will hold Brown to around 2-3 yards a carry but I see Chatman ripping off at least one 15-yarder against us.

On the flip side, I see our ground game having trouble as well against Miami's 3-4. Big Tractor Traylor will probably keep blockers off of Zach Thomas, Joey Porter, and Channing Crowder whenever he is in the game and Zach Thomas, who is a better version of London Fletcher, will have no problems stopping a CP who is out of shape and Betts who is not a breakaway threat.

WRs:

Moss, ARE, Lloyd, and Thrash vs. Chambers, Booker, Hakim, Ginn, and Kelly Campbell

Oh boy. I can see us potentially struggling with this matchup. Miami has a ton of speed and Rogers, Macklin, and Smoot are not great with the deep ball. I think we are going to get beat deep at least once this game. Booker will probably get a few catches here and there off of Carlos Rogers because Carlos will give this possession receiver a huge cushion. Chambers will probably make one good play and disappear the rest of the game. Ginn, Hakim, and Campbell are all guys with great speed who can make big plays.

On the other hand, I see us succeeding quite a bit in the air as well. Moss, ARE, and Lloyd are all definitely going to have good games. Moss will be going against his personal ***** Will Allen and should go over the 60 yard mark for sure. Lloyd is going to probably go against an unproven guy like Mike Lehan and should get at least 40 yards.

ill save you guys the time and run it down for ya right now. our rb's and wr's are better. at this point in campbells career id say qb's are equall but hopefully by week 4 campbell will be a top 10ish or better QB. Our oline and TE's are def. better. Miami's Dline is clearly better than ours and special teams i would say is about the same. Lb's I would say we have the advantage if washington plays if not they win that one. and secondary I would say we def. have them there. So basically we are better or equal to them at everything except DLINE. With homefield advantage we have to take this game. GO SKINS!!!

Probably make more sense us comparing units, i.e. our WRs vs their Secondary. Our RBs versus their LBs , DL v OL, etc.

yeah. i didnt want to say it, but this def makes more sense- our receivers arent facing their receivers. good breakdown though- perhaps an overcompensation for wanting to not be a homer. better to er on the side of caution i suppose.

ill save you guys the time and run it down for ya right now. our rb's and wr's are better. at this point in campbells career id say qb's are equall but hopefully by week 4 campbell will be a top 10ish or better QB. Our oline and TE's are def. better. Miami's Dline is clearly better than ours and special teams i would say is about the same. Lb's I would say we have the advantage if washington plays if not they win that one. and secondary I would say we def. have them there. So basically we are better or equal to them at everything except DLINE. With homefield advantage we have to take this game. GO SKINS!!!

Now I don't have to show up the rest of the week.:laugh:

Good idea and good post.

Regarding your thoughts on their WRs versus our secondary, I don't think we'll have any problems. We heard that Trent Green has struggled, and his performance is obviously a factor. The recievers aren't that great in the first place. As for our running game, you're right. They have a top run defense that will cause problems if our O-line isn't at the top of its game.

Probably make more sense us comparing units, i.e. our WRs vs their Secondary. Our RBs versus their LBs , DL v OL, etc.

You know what? You are right. I was referring to the nfl.com depth chart to look at their receivers. I guess they did not update it then. If Hakim got cut and Ginn is only getting garbage time, we clearly have the advantage at receiver.

I think that whole "Portis is not in game shape" idea is overblown. He's not going to be 100%, but it's not like he's going to have to take every other play off. I don't think anyone will notice a difference really.

Dude it's not like he is going against the Texans. He is going against one of the finest front 7's in the NFL. Even if he were in midseason form, this would be one of those games in which he would average about 3 yards a carry.

London Fletcher is better than Zach Thomas. No homerism there' date=' it's just the truth. Look up the stats, supporting casts, and total defense rankings.

Also, the Phins run a 4-3 as per the depth chart available on their own site.[/quote']

They run both but depend more on the 3-4. That is why they have Traylor and why they signed a classic 3-4 OLB in Joey Porter.

I think that whole "Portis is not in game shape" idea is overblown. He's not going to be 100%, but it's not like he's going to have to take every other play off. I don't think anyone will notice a difference really.

Read this article

I don't see how people can say that Portis can just pick up the game like the time off is nothing. Before people say that "Well, Tomlinson never plays preseason" well he goes full speed in practice. It would be different if Portis was at full speed in practice but he hasn't been. If LJ says that he won't be at full speed in week 1 then I can't see how Portis will be, either. With that in mind, I think we should play Betts more. I hope he proves me wrong and has a good game, though.

I disagree on many things. Fletcher is better than Thomas, and as for their front 7, I'm more worried about Jason Taylor vs. a fresh Samuels than Zach Thomas vs. a fresh Portis.

Not to mention, Smoot and Rogers are very good on the deep ball. and Miami's "speed" is Ginn and Campbell- both of whom are very mediocre receivers, but otherwise talented special teamers.

Archived