Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

G-men are dumb as dirt!

MikeB

I can't beleive the Giants gave that game away. TWO bone head roughing calls that cost the team a chance at a chip shot FG (instead of the 41 yarder) and an uneducated holder that doesn't take 2 seconds to THINK about what is happening. It's 3rd down dummy. Throw the ball away and take another shot!!!

UGH!!!!

The placeholder not throwing the ball away to me comes down to coaching. I mean, you've had a botched snap before you have plenty of time to talk things over on the sideline and you mean to tell me the coaching staff couldn't bring this to the players attention?

Of course we don't know what happens on the sidelines and maybe Fasshole and his staff did point it out...

The blame is on everyone's shoulders. That is such a simple thing that even I, a fan, knew that he should toss it away. If I can think of it, the holder can too. He only makes what, 1/2 a mil? He should be able to use a few brain cells of his own to realize that it's third down and he can throw the ball away on a botched snap.

I do agree with you though that the staff should also be pointing it out.

I'm not sure if it would've mattered if he had thrown it away. They had an illegal man downfield. Isn't the 10 second run-off automatic in that situation...game over regardless? I could be wrong, and of course may be if he does chuck it away, the penalty is never called, hard to say.

Fassel and the Special Teams coach are going to be having nightmares over this one for years. You know they couldn't have reviewed the 'what-ifs' during the timeout or the holder would've done it automatically. Guess its understandable given the pressure in that situation, but in hindsight, pretty poor coaching. Feel for ya Tom, hell, you might as well be a Skins fan if you're going to have to experience that kind of pain. Think about it!

I follow you, I mentioned the same thing in my first post. I also think that officials are gutless with all of the 'off-setting' penalty calls late in games. I think there ought to be more weight on the initial cheap shot than on what occurs after that (as I think you could argue players are trying to protect their teammate vs. just taking 'a shot'). The Giants players said it themselves though, it wasn't just one play that lost the game for them. Too bad as I think the Giants are the superior team and the 49ers are going anywhere in my opinion.

The calls on Shaun Williams were pathetic, the first one .....yea ok good call.

The second one was pathetic, that fat ugly bast'ed Newberry was going toe to toe with a Giant who couldnt be much taller than 5'6, all williams did was protect his own guy who was out-weighed probably by 150lbs!

I was pulling for the niners untill Terrell Owens started acting like a **** again

Football needs to treat unsportsman like personal fouls the same way the NBA treats technical fouls. Two in a game should earn a player a spot in the showers for the rest of the game. I know it wouldn't have mattered, but it bugged me a little that Owens had personal fouls called on him for two consecutive plays and the only one thrown out was the Giant. That smacks of the refs losing control of the game.

Just a point of clarification...

If the holder spikes the ball, it is intentional grounding. They get penalized and get the 10 second run-off, game over. The provision for spiking the ball to stop the clock only applies to hand-to-hand snaps. So, if he just threw the ball in the ground the game would be over.

With only three seconds left in the game, the holder made the only sensible play - he couldn't spike it, didn't have enough time to throw it away; he had to try and throw it. It was the linemen downfield that sealed the fate of the G-Men, not the holder.

Originally posted by bobzmuda

With only three seconds left in the game, the holder made the only sensible play - he couldn't spike it, didn't have enough time to throw it away; he had to try and throw it. It was the linemen downfield that sealed the fate of the G-Men, not the holder.

The play began with 6 seconds remaining. Allen stated afterwards that he and Bryant were expecting a bad snap, but concentrated on getting it down. Not going over the alternatives was a big mistake.

The only other option for the holder was to immediately fall on the ball after the bad snap. The officials are sensitive to this and may have blown the whistle to end the play before time ran out. The Giants still had one timeout left and could have called it.

I know it's a long shot, but it's better than what they ended up doing. Do they practice botched snaps? Most teams do.

In any event it's going to be a long off-season for the Giants and a head or two may roll on the coaching staff.

What people are forgetting, or dismissing, about that play is that it was a 41 yard attempt BEFORE the snap. So if the holder fell on the ball it's now seven yards back. So the line of scrimmage now goes back seven and then the new spot for the kick is also seven back. Well out of Bryant's range regardless. So the Giants would have had to try for 6 and hoped for a miracle. There's no way they could have rekicked if he fell on the ball. His only option was to throw it out of bounds, but with the linemen downfield it's still a penalty. No matter what it was basically a no win situation for the Giants once the snap got botched.

I have to say this...................... It was almost refreshing to see another team get absolutely whacked by officiating.

The last offsetting personal fouls were ridiculous. Owens pushes the guy out, then the Giants guy jumps on Owens. No fouls called on the Giants here. Then a 49er OL jumps on the Giants player and starts to rip his helmet off, by the facemask (last I heard that's a fifteen yarder in and of itself). Then a Giants guy trys to separate his player from the 49er OL and gets flagged while the 49er OL walks away with the Giants guy's helmet (by the facemask). They call a penalty on Owens and the guy that jumps in between two other players. Makes no sense. Why no penalty on the 49er lineman. He was pulling the giant around by his facemask!!

That joker Bryant would have missed the kick anyway. Besides, this is such a small deal in the greater scheme of the game. The Giants simply unraveled entirely. To make such a deal over that botched snap (which was so inevitable the way the game was going) is to ignore how terrible the offense and defense were for the last 19 minutes.

The same applies to our 99 playoff game in Tampa, anybody here think Conway was about to hit that... what was it a 49 yarder? We had to wrap up Alstott, protect the football and play D against that terrible Tampa offense. There was as little excuse to blow that 13 point lead against Tampa in 99 as there was to blow the 24 point lead to this year's 49ers squad.

*The one asterisk is that we didn't deserve the play where we sacked King on third down only to watch Warrick Dunn advance the loose ball for first down yardage. That was the hand of fate working against us, plain and simple.

Archived