Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

anyone worried about our running game?

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

its also gonna be hard to tell as well, as were going up against the 2 best defenses in football the next two weeks.

is anyone else really glad that were facing the cream of the crop over the next two weeks? its kind of a blessing that we get to go up against the best defenses in football. definitey great practice for us and should make us a tougher and stronger team.

The running game is my only concern right now, as the D looks much improved from last season, the passing and kicking game look fine.

I know Portis is out, but none of the backs seem to have anywhere to run. We get two more practice games to work on it, and it having Samuels and Portis back can only help.

The running game is my only concern right now, as the D looks much improved from last season, the passing and kicking game look fine.

I know Portis is out, but none of the backs seem to have anywhere to run. We get two more practice games to work on it, and it having Samuels and Portis back can only help.

this is what worries me. our backs have no holes to run through. our right side is perfectly fine, rabach/thomas/jansen are all playing and we cant run on their side either. i just hope we show some signs of life at some point. our passing game looks great right now, so i would assume were finally grasping saunders offense.

I like the fact that Heyer is getting reps and he could develop into a solid LT, I only hope that we don't jeopardize or risk injury to our QB in order to get him reps.

As for the running game, it is slighlty a concern. I am of the belief that Portis will not come right in and dominate. I belive it will take him a couple games to get going if he does not play in the preseason at all, leaving Betts to carry the load. Though i hope i am wrong on this one.

But I also realize the the entire left side of the line is like a deck of cards being shuffled right now. Pucillo looked good, and that makes me happy to see at least for depth purposes. As soon as Samuels gets back in there, i believe that there will be stability on the line and the running game will take off.

Like someone mentioned earlier, they were blitzing and stacking the box like crazy the entire first half. So we need to prove that we can move the ball through the air, which i think we did. Collins looked pretty sharp to me, now that the rest of the players have learned the offense i sense a feeling of comfort knowing that Collins could come in and run the ship. Of course I want Campbell fully healed and under center, but I think that having Collins sures up the backup QB position. Brunell is about out of gas. he should never be asked to throw another pass again.

It is difficult to establish a running gasme in pre-season because so mnay players are being subed out, and you have to get into a rythm to run the ball, it is good we are facing B-more and the Steelers. Miami is a good defense, so we need to be ready to pound the ball in order to win that game.

Defense, looks like they are getting back to form. I'm loving what i see from McIntosh, he is crazy athletic. And Fletcher is a beast.

Alright Redskins fans, its time to relax a little bit - and stop criticizing everything that does not go perfect in the preseason.... Our line right now is at 60%, portis isn't playing and betts is running about 5-10 plays a game. You can't really get a good read on the line when your 3rd,4th and 5th RB's are in the game, regardless of what the line looks like....Give them some props for how they look in other areas and lets go skins....

I'm not worried yet, no...here's a comparison between the last three preseason rushing attacks in the first two preseason games (minus rushing yards for QBs and WRs):

2005:

Total Rushing Yards: 161

Total Carries: 40

YPC: 4.03 yds

Portis set franchise rushing record and the running attack played a huge role in getting the team into the playoffs.

2006:

Total Rushing Yards: 102

Total Carries: 41

YPC: 2.49 yds

Rushing attack was 4th in the league, Portis had 7 TDs in eight games, and Betts ran for almost 800 yards in six games.

2007:

Total Rushing Yards: 113

Total Carries: 45

YPC: 2.51 yds

?????

Of course, the most obvious thing is that when Portis is missing from the preseason, the running game averages 1.5 yards per carry less. This year, not only is Portis missing, but Samuels is missing, too...so, nah, not gonna worry just yet.

However, the Skins always have at least one good running game in the preseason. If they don't have that one decent rushing game by the time regular season starts, I'll be concerned, definitely.

I'm not worried yet, no...here's a comparison between the last three preseason rushing attacks in the first two preseason games (minus rushing yards for QBs and WRs):

2005:

Total Rushing Yards: 161

Total Carries: 40

YPC: 4.03 yds

Portis set franchise rushing record and the running attack played a huge role in getting the team into the playoffs.

2006:

Total Rushing Yards: 102

Total Carries: 41

YPC: 2.49 yds

Rushing attack was 4th in the league, Portis had 7 TDs in eight games, and Betts ran for almost 800 yards in six games.

2007:

Total Rushing Yards: 113

Total Carries: 45

YPC: 2.51 yds

?????

Of course, the most obvious thing is that when Portis is missing from the preseason, the running game averages 1.5 yards per carry less. This year, not only is Portis missing, but Samuels is missing, too...so, nah, not gonna worry just yet.

However, the Skins always have at least one good running game in the preseason. If they don't have that one decent rushing game by the time regular season starts, I'll be concerned, definitely.

Nice pull. This should help us calm down a bit and be patient. . .

we have ladell betts in and not portis, that is what is wrong with it. I don't care what betts did last year, by that time in the season the o line could do any worse, it was about time they started making holes. I'm still not sold on betts being a solid RB and never have been. I want a healthy CP and we will be good to go.

and the cowboys are such a scary team. watch out for julius jones, a REAL back lol.

JJ is resting. Meanwhile we got Thompson and Barber averaging about 5 yards a clip.

The team got almost 200 yds on the ground Saturday while the passing game is continuing to light it up too (Romo sits to pee is 21 of 29 for the preseason...that's 73% for those scoring at home).

So to answer your opening question honestly: "should skins fans be worried about their running game?"...well, yeah, at least I would if i were a fan...but not as much as I'd be worried about the Boys running game. yip yip yip

JJ is resting. Meanwhile we got Thompson and Barber averaging about 5 yards a clip.

The team got almost 200 yds on the ground Saturday while the passing game is continuing to light it up too (Romo sits to pee is 21 of 29 for the preseason...that's 73% for those scoring at home).

So to answer your opening question honestly: "should skins fans be worried about their running game?"...well, yeah, at least I would if i were a fan...but not as much as I'd be worried about the Boys running game. yip yip yip

Romo sits to pee has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns, and word on the street is that hes throwing all dump offs, so his completion percentage doesnt matter. and barber isnt an everydown back as much as youd like to delude yourself into thinking. thompson is a nobody and will only get time if julius jones sucks again.

the cowboys running game doesnt scare anybody. it should scare you that all you have is a goalline back and a weakling starter whos topped 1000 yards once. our backup had a better season than your starter in half the games. now THATS funny.

If we can prove to teams that we can and will throw the ball on them, they won't be able to stack the box.

This is a very true statement. People didn't respect Brunell's long-ball (rightfully so) and that's why they always stacked the line. This year it will be different. I can't wait to see CP behing Jason - it has potential to be devistating.

Archived