Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

anyone worried about our running game?

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

what is up with our running game? the least of our problems last season looks to be one of our biggest problems so far. obviously its still pre season, but we dont seem to be able to get anything done on the ground with the first team. betts should have been able to do something so far. our passing game has looked very solid, and i have feeling cooley is the new tony gonzalez, especially after watching saturdays game. but im just wondering why our running game doesnt seem to be doing so great.

I'm witholding judgement because the left side of the offensive line is out and because Clinton Portis hasn't sniffed the field yet.

Further, Pittsburgh stacked the box with 8, 9, and 10 guys virtually the entire first half, daring Campbell to throw.

So, I'm not pleased, but I'm not going to get worried either. Not yet anyway.

Wasn't our running game struggling last preseason as well before it picked up during the late charge?

Don't worry too much on it and you're right, this will be a contract year for Cooley.

im not THAT worried because it is preseason and portis isnt in there, but the way our season ended in terms of our running game, it doesnt look like were on the same page from last december.

The lack of a running game was one of the first concerns that Joe Gibbs talked about in his post game presser. Even with the O-line injuries and Portis being out, he feels that our running game should be getting a few more yards.

and id agree (i didnt watch the presser). i hope some of the betts lovers see how good betts is without a great oline in there:

4 carries, 6 yards - 1.5 avg

6 carries, 12 yards - 2.0 avg

that looks like the stats of a guy putting up 1800 yards this season, right MCD5?

Definitely concerned. Hopefully Portis will be rejuvenated when he returns. What's up with Samuels? Personally I think Betts is about as good as Portis at this point but a different type of runner so maybe Portis will rectify things.

and id agree (i didnt watch the presser). i hope some of the betts lovers see how good betts is without a great oline in there:

that looks like the stats of a guy putting up 1800 yards this season, right MCD5?

hahaha you are really reaching here man.

Definitely the biggest concern so far, although it's something I think we can fix with the line getting more reps together & getting Samuels back. I think we kind of took what the defenses gave us, of course you'd like to see us still have success even if the D knows what's coming. Chalk it up to having to play great defenses early on, although I'm not certain that the Titans are a great defense or we just came out a little flat on that one.

Going against the Ravens D may make the offense look a little anemic, but I believe going against all these great defenses early on will help us get out to a better start, so long as we can get through it without any major injuries.

I'm just trying to look at the positives, the Steelers D has looked very good, the Packers did absolutely nothing against them, yet we were able to move the ball on their starters.

We still seem to be the type of team that is going to be playing grind it out down to the wire games. Hopefully we can get some lucky bounces this year and have more of those close ones go our way.

With Samuels out and Dockery gone, we have an entirely new left side. That's gonna cause issues. Having Samuels back will help and of course getting Portis in there will help as well.

I think both opponents really did alot of run blitzing so far this preseason and that's something that you can scheme against.

Another thing I noticed is that the way the lineman are lining up on any given play is telegraphing whether it's a run or a pass. If you watch closely, 3 point stance = run pretty much every time. I don't know if that should be addressed by Bugel or not...

I'm not worried in the least. It has been our strength for years and I believe will continue to be. We have some key players not playing(I didn't say hurt), are not going to show our best plays any time soon. Our #1 lineman and our #1 RB havn't been on the field, if they were and we struggled, I'de worry. Until that time, I won't.

Yeah, the line is a bit troublesome, but I think we'll nail this down by the beginning of the season for two reasons.

1. Samuels will be back

2. We'll have a better passing attack.

Both of these will open up the production. And yes, I did take Clinton Portis in the second round of my fantasy draft, so I clearly have confidence. :)

i wonder if wade or pucillo will get that job. pucillo definitely played better against the steelers than wade did against the titans. not sure if thats means a lot to the coaching staff, but we shall see. heyer looks like solid depth there as well, he could be a nice break for samuels or jansen if they start wearing down.

I've seen almost all the preseason games and almost all the teams had the same running game results as the redskins. Bett's and portis don't play the calls are vanilla and I don't think they game plan at all so its expected.

it's the pre-season as sait, they stacking people in the box, which they won't do every play during regular season. Pitts has a corner blitz on 3 straight plays.

I think it is hard to establish a running game in pre-season with the offensive line and RBS as well as the Defense subing out so often. In regular season you run the ball, and later in the game you start wearing down the D and getting more yardage.

I will give you that our O line is not looing great on passing or rushing. I am just hoping that will change in 3 weeks for opening day, with more experince and a healthier line.... I hope.

My point exactly....this is why we should keep Betts over Portis right?

Archived