Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LG Woes/Kendall

TLusby

Wade will be sitting out tonight and we will have Pucillo playing LG who has little starting experience except as a blocking (TE) on heavy jumbo plays last year. I hope we see good things but I doubt we will. We could allow Wade to keep developing or just let him back-up Jansen. We are lacking depth on the OL and I advocate that we make a FA move before the season begins. Pucillo is also our back-up center and if he starts at LG we will not have a back-up center without making several changes.

I think we need to go after Pete Kendall who is really upset with the Jets and they are essentially punishing him for wanting more money even though he is in camp. They are forcing him to take reps at center and his interest in that position was demonstarted last night as he made several poor shotgun snaps. He is still an animal in his blocking technique and has 3-4 good years ahead of him. He wants a little more money ($1.7M currently) and to play LG. Well, we have money and a need at LG! We are $5M under the cap and can still re-sign Cooley and add a guy like Kendall. He will immediately put our OL in the top ten and we will have decent depth. The FO needs to make this move as soon as possible even if it takes a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Kendall wants out, but the Jets need him. Besides, Kendall (I think) has been in the league 12 years. He is no spring chicken. If he is cut, yes go after him, but please do not give up any draft picks!

I am not going to panic yet; however, I do not think the OL will work without a decent LG. Jnasen is a worry as well but Heyer or Wade could replace him if needed. I would trade a 3rd or 4th in a second to have a chance to compete in any given year.

Also, someone eluded to our DL who I thought looked great last Saturday. Their pressure was O.K. but the run defense was excellent.

I think we need to go after Pete Kendall who is really upset with the Jets and they are essentially punishing him for wanting more money even though he is in camp. They are forcing him to take reps at center and his interest in that position was demonstarted last night as he made several poor shotgun snaps. He is still an animal in his blocking technique and has 3-4 good years ahead of him. He wants a little more money ($1.7M currently) and to play LG. Well, we have money and a need at LG! We are $5M under the cap and can still re-sign Cooley and add a guy like Kendall. He will immediately put our OL in the top ten and we will have decent depth. The FO needs to make this move as soon as possible even if it takes a 3rd or 4th rounder.

He said they promised him an extra $1M making it $2.7M which for a couple of years is pretty reasonable. The only concern I have is what the Jets would want back.

If we are looking for offensive guards around Kendall's age bracket, I suggest that we might want to reinvestigate whether Adam Timmerman (OG) might be in decent enough shape for the team.

Timmerman, a former pro-bowl OG for the Rams was cut in February and still hasn't been picked up. He's still got decent pass protection skills and would be an economical stop-gap, should Wade or Pucillo not pan out.

Here's some older news from before the draft:

When offensive guard Adam Timmerman was released by the Rams five weeks ago, neither he nor his agent figured he'd be on the market very long. But with the bulk of the free-agent spending completed throughout the NFL and most teams now concentrating on the draft, Timmerman is still looking for a job. "I'm shocked that he hasn't signed yet," said Mark Bartelstein, Timmerman's agent. "I think teams were concerned that he was healthy. He's healthy as can be. He feels great. And someone's going to get an All-Pro-caliber guard." During the free agency period, Timmerman has made only one trip — to Detroit, where former Rams head coach Mike Martz is the Lions' offensive coordinator. Not long after Timmerman's visit, the Lions signed two veteran guards who also were released this offseason: Baltimore's Ed Mulitalo and Tennessee's Zach Piller.

Here's the last news I could find, in April when Timmerman was talking with the Giants. But from what I can tell, they didn't sign him either. http://mvn.com/nfl-giants/2007/04/04/giants-timmerman-talking/

On paper, Timmerman looks like a good economical stop-gap measure -- I don't know why the Redskins aren't interested in the former pro-bowl level OG, may his salary requests were too high? (I suspect they'd be lower now.)

Acquiring him wouldn't be a bad move. He could fill the roll for a couple of years, but think of the average age of the OL - we would definitely need to concentrate on finding some young prospects for the future of the O-line.

If they don't release him, what wouild you all consider a reasonable trade? Obviously we want to hang on to as many of our picks as possible.. what position of strength do we have that we use to deal? I can't think of any one player we have that they would want & we could afford to give up.

Wade will be sitting out tonight and we will have Pucillo playing LG who has little starting experience except as a blocking (TE) on heavy jumbo plays last year.

Actually, Pucillo has 18 starts in his career, 6 of which were right before we acquired him, so he isn't exactly inexperienced.

I'm not saying that will make him a good candidate, but he's far from inexperienced.

Jason

Ya im guessing somebody will be brought in on the o-line before the season starts. Timmerman if cheap enough will likely be the best bet but something needs to get done that left side was terrible last game.

I'm sure the Skins will be looking at the wavier wire when cutdown time comes for help anywhere they feel is weak, just like when we picked up Wade last year.

But, don't expect a starter to come out of that. Whoever we get is going to need time to learn what we do.

Fact is, we are going to have to deal with what we have. There is no magic bullet.

Jason

Very good point TheLongshot (Jason). It's a little late for stop-gap measures, because practice-time and conditioning is essential, and a lot of time has already gone by.

IMO, we should have picked up a real OG early in the season maybe like the Ravens' Edwin Mulitalo, or the Bears' Reuben Brown (who signed very late with Chicago for 2.2 million) Back before the draft, there were a lot of second-tier unrestricted free agent OGs that were floating around, and many would have been signable, salary-wise. It looks like the Redskins decided to stand pat with the idea that Wade or Pucillo would work out.

Frankly, I thought that was a bit of a gamble. But, I recognize there is a lot more to these personnel decisions than what we in the public see, so I'll respect that Gibbs & Co. have the correct take on this matter.

But heck, as a fan -- I'll still voice my opinion, right?

I am all for signing Timmerman! It can't hurt. He might be able to play at a decent level again. I am curious as to why he's never been signed; it must be his financial demands which should be decreasing by the day.

Yeah, lets trade for Kendall and then meet his salary demands.

That's a much better idea than just re-signing Dockery--one of our own guys who was playing well.

Championship caliber teams get there by resigning there own guys they draft to long term contracts and lock them early. Championship teams would have kept Dockery and the cohesion on the line.

The Snyder team--that is, a 5-11 team--lets Dockery walk, offers the amount of money that would kept Dockery here to Leonard Davis only to lose him to the rivals, resigns a journeyman right tackle to try to learn to play starting left guard, and after that obviously-will-fail move fails, trades to get an aging malcontent who they will end up having to pay a lot of money to.

And people wonder why we are an embarrassment.

I am all for signing Timmerman! It can't hurt. He might be able to play at a decent level again. I am curious as to why he's never been signed; it must be his financial demands which should be decreasing by the day.

Timmerman's no Keenan McCardell. I believe he's said he'll retire before playing for less then what he thinks it's worth to take the physical beating linemen take.

Yeah, lets trade for Kendall and then meet his salary demands.

That's a much better idea than just re-signing Dockery--one of our own guys who was playing well.

Dockery received $18M+ in guaranteed money; the other could be had for 1/8 in guaranteed money.

Dockery wasn't worth anywhere near what the Bills gave him Snydermustgo. We've made some suspect personnel moves over the years but overpaying for a guy like Dockery wasn't going to make that situation any better.

In the short term we could get the same or better production out of a guy like Kendall or Timmerman. We can then draft to shore up our lines next year.

You're correct that championship teams often tend to keep their own players. However, they also know how to not overpay for players as well. The later is probably even more important than the former.

Archived