Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Potentailly Offensive

Skins&Terps07

The Redskins true offense has not yet been unveiled. Yes I know, Gibbs and co. promised to not hold back in the preseason so our team could get in sync and hopefully avoid last year's awful start. But regardless of what is shown in the remaining preseason games, we have not really seen the full capabilities of this offense until Jason Campbell AND Clinton Portis have played on the field together.

I bring you back to the road game against the Eagles last season. Brunell looks terrible and Portis goes down for the season. The very next week at Tampa, the Jason Campbell era begins. JC has played all of his games as a starter (the last 7 games last season and 1 preseason game this year) without the services of Clinton Portis. Granted, Ladell Betts is a good, capable back, but he is no Clinton Portis.

Having Campbell and Portis together will force opposing defenses to respect the run and the pass. If teams don't truly fear our running game, then they can load up on pass coverage and do other things to defend more exclusively against the pass. With Portis on the field, it is more than likely that Campbell will be able to perform better. Some of the things Clinton does, few others can do. He strikes fear in the heart of defensive coordinators and linebackers alike, and probably accounts for a substantial portion of any defensive gameplan a Redskins opponent might hatch.

With the new season finally kicking off just a few days ago, I'm already seeing various complaints about the offense, and even a few doomsday scenarios that paint our offense as terrible and totally inept. No one truly knows what's going to happen with the offense, but the peices are certainly in place for there to be substantial improvement from last year. So before we make any big judgement, lets wait until two of the most important of those peices show what they can do together. We may have only scratched the surface. Hail.

Although I understand the point of your post, Portis won't be doing anything if our Oline continues to play so poorly. Portis needs that Oline to break holes open. Campbell needs that Oline to remain stable for time to pass.

So... with that said, Portis is not going to do well either with the state of our Oline. Campbell and Portis are at the mercy of those guys. In the next three weeks, the Oline has to find and fix their mistakes.

What do you mean by that?

He means that a lot of people were saying that last year during pre-season... and nothing changed during the regular season.

I do agree with you that Portis behind JC brings a whole other dimension to the offense. CP is a home-run threat; Ladell is not. That fact alone will alter the looks we get on defense and add a dynamic to this offense that we have not yet seen.

That being said, if Samuels doesn't get healthy and our OL sucks, CP/JC is irrelevant. We need a solid OL - which I think we have (assuming we're healthy). If we do get a solid OL, CP gets healthy, watch out - this offense is going to do some damage.

Really, we are a middle of the pack type offensive team with some skill at some of the positions. It will matter how we play as a team.

Oh, and IT WAS THE FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME. At this point, the concern should be about our back-ups. Looking forward to the Miami game.

:helmet: The Rook

addition of samuels and portis will do nothing but improve the offense, no one can deny that. So lets just relax and postpone our judgements....well atleast until SATURDAY

Samuels was not playing on Saturday but remember that Heyer--who was subbing for him--did a damn fine job. So again... Portis and Campbell will only be as good as the Oline lets them.

Oh, and IT WAS THE FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME. At this point, the concern should be about our back-ups.

:helmet: The Rook

I was more entertained and impressed by watching the backups than our starters!:laugh:

So yeah, there's plenty of room for concern when ya look at it that way.

Samuels was not playing on Saturday but remember that Heyer--who was subbing for him--did a damn fine job. So again... Portis and Campbell will only be as good as the Oline lets them.

Did you not watch the game? Heyer was getting DESTROYED

Yeh dude whoever said that heyer was doing awful wasn't watching the game i guess. He was playing a DE that was twice as good as Jansens opposition in odom who beat Jansen one on one multiple times.

Heyer didn't do too bad for seeing his first action. The line as a whole didn't do much tho. Bugel gave Heyer props this week for his play after reviewing the tape.

I'd like to see Chris Cooley used more to take the heat off both CP and JC. I mean, little cut routes and curls giving us short yardage gains and first downs. Plus, you know Cooley can go all the way. I'd just like to see him used more. Like the old days off Todd Christensen and the likes. Hes a weapon overlooked in our 3 and out offense.

I'd like to see Chris Cooley used more to take the heat off both CP and JC. I mean, little cut routes and curls giving us short yardage gains and first downs. Plus, you know Cooley can go all the way. I'd just like to see him used more. Like the old days off Todd Christensen and the likes. Hes a weapon overlooked in our 3 and out offense.

I have a feeling that Cooley is the one thing we WON'T be seeing in preseason. I have a feeling he's going to be the most crucial piece to Saunders offensive game this year and he's going to wait for the right time to unveil it. Cooley's role will be to gain the attention of the D to open the field up for deep passes to a wide open Santana Moss, ARE or Lloyd.

Archived