Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Completion Percentage, you worried?

Dumbsheet

Moss missed the Tampa Bay game. For Campbell's other six starts, he had Moss. You can't just make up facts.

Moss was still bothered by that hamstring in my opinion. I do acknowledge that goofed that up hibachi, but i still stand on the fact that the completion percentage of any QBs first season is not an good indicator as to the development of that qb.

NOT WORRIED AT ALL ABOUT THE COMPLETION PERCENTAGE. FIRST 7 GAMES OF A CAREER.

The OP is Overreacting. :2cents:

He's not overreacting. He is a well known troll that is trying to push our buttons. If Campbell had thrown the ball 5 yards each time he attempted a pass on Saturday he could have been 10 of 11 too.

Thanks, my man. That was my point. Mayhap I could've used a different list of qbs to compare with in my opening post, but hey the same point is illustrated no matter what list is compiled. 53% is what it is. And when you factor in the stellar running game, solid OL protection, and relatively conservative/short pass play calling he had last year, the number becomes even more twingent.

As I suggested earlier, if the rest of you take off the B&G bifocols for a moment like hibachi and hailskinz here, you may see what I and the rest of the outsider populace sees.

Nah. You didn't ask if Campbell was accurate last year. If you had, the answer from everyone would have been no. What you asked was (after some masterbatory statement about Romo sits to pee)

Is 53-55% gonna be his norm? And if so, would you feel confident about that as the future of your quaterback?

The answer to THAT is, who knows? Plenty of QBs started out in the mid 50s. Not just one or two guys. Guys like Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Trent Green, Carson Palmer, Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Delhomme, these guys all completed between 50 and 57 percent of their passes in their first seven starts. Its silly to draw a correllation between half a season and a career, unless you are looking for excuses to badmouth a guy.

Or a team.

Which is pretty trollish.

So when exactly were you planning on hanging up and listening? :rolleyes:

Did we all forget:

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The turtle wins the race.

Slow and steady also wins the race.

Hot soup will burn your tongue.

The point here is can we all just wait and sit through at least 3 more pre-season games and 4 more regular games before jumping the gun.

Hibachi, I am not sure what you are trying to say. First off, I don't remember anyone predicting "greatness" from Campbell this year. I think what we are all expecting is seeing him manage the game better this year and move the chains.

Second off, you seem to be more of a hater than a realist. Now are peoplem worried, I am sure they are. But I am sure any fans would be worried about a QB who has started only 7 games and trying to lead his team to the playoffs, regardless what he has or has not done on the field.

Peyton Manning threw 25INTs his first year. Campbell would have thrown about 12 had he played the full year. To me, that is a great way of looking at what we will get this year.

Also, how come people aren't talking about how he completed two 3rd and Longs on saturday. To me those are the things we should be looking at, as thats where this offense faltered last year. The completion percentage will go up as the experience grows.

Everyone chalks Campbell's struggles up to his inexperience. I just posted statistics comparing him to other inexperienced quarterbacks, and Campbell ranks at the bottom. Fans here are so ignorant. You're a hater if you are concerned that your team's starting quarterback had a lower completion percentage than Bruce Gradkowski and Andrew Walter. Everyone here probably thought Ramsey was going to be great. Tell me what you saw in Campbell last year that makes you think he is going to be good? I saw an inaccurate, indecisive, and overall bad quarterback last year. Talk all you want about his bad play being a result of inexperience, but compared to other inexperienced quarterbacks, his play was just that - bad. You mention he protected the ball last year (6 INTs in sevens games, which actually equates closer to 14 INTs in a 16 game season than 12), and I am encouraged by that. However, that doesn't outweight his 53% completion rate or his 6.3 yards per attempt. Oh by the way, if you want to talk about the preseason game, you can't talk about the third down conversions without the two fumbles and the missed throw.

Everyone chalks Campbell's struggles up to his inexperience. I just posted statistics comparing him to other inexperienced quarterbacks, and Campbell ranks at the bottom.

Campbell ranks near the bottom in that one category. And most here acknowledge that particular aspect of his play is a concern. What's your point again?

Fans here are so ignorant.

Great way to win a debate right there.

You're a hater if you are concerned that your team's starting quarterback had a lower completion percentage than Bruce Gradkowski and Andrew Walter.

Actually one is a hater if he is an acknowledged Cowboy fan. Like the guy who started this thread. The guy who thinks you are making great posts.

As has been repeated several times, most here are concerned about his low completion percentage. And we're not all haters. I know I'm not. :)

Everyone here probably thought Ramsey was going to be great. Tell me what you saw in Campbell last year that makes you think he is going to be good? I saw an inaccurate, indecisive, and overall bad quarterback last year.

I saw a guy with unusual poise and a great pocket-presence for a first-time starter. I saw a guy who can push the ball downfield well. I also saw a guy with accuracy issues. Kind of a mixed bag, which is what you'd expect from a guy making his first few starts.

Talk all you want about his bad play being a result of inexperience, but compared to other inexperienced quarterbacks, his play was just that - bad.

In one category.

You mention he protected the ball last year (6 INTs in sevens games, which actually equates closer to 14 INTs in a 16 game season than 12), and I am encouraged by that. However, that doesn't outweight his 53% completion rate or his 6.3 yards per attempt.

Why not? Incompletions are worse than turnovers? On what planet? Usually the biggest problem for a young guy is avoiding mistakes. Campbell was uncommonly GOOD at that. I would wager he's near the top of that list among the QBs we've all been talking about. If you want to make a case that INTs aren't that big a deal, I'm all ears.

Otherwise, stop feeding the troll already. It's embarrassing.

Everyone chalks Campbell's struggles up to his inexperience. I just posted statistics comparing him to other inexperienced quarterbacks, and Campbell ranks at the bottom. Fans here are so ignorant. You're a hater if you are concerned that your team's starting quarterback had a lower completion percentage than Bruce Gradkowski and Andrew Walter. Everyone here probably thought Ramsey was going to be great. Tell me what you saw in Campbell last year that makes you think he is going to be good? I saw an inaccurate, indecisive, and overall bad quarterback last year. Talk all you want about his bad play being a result of inexperience, but compared to other inexperienced quarterbacks, his play was just that - bad. You mention he protected the ball last year (6 INTs in sevens games, which actually equates closer to 14 INTs in a 16 game season than 12), and I am encouraged by that. However, that doesn't outweight his 53% completion rate or his 6.3 yards per attempt. Oh by the way, if you want to talk about the preseason game, you can't talk about the third down conversions without the two fumbles and the missed throw.

YO hater, listen up

out of 40 QBs to play last season only the following players had a higher TD to INT ratio than JC.

P. Manning... 3.4:1 Pro bowl MVP superbowl

C. Palmer.... 2.2:1 Elite QB

D. Brees..... 2.4:1 Pro Bowl

M. Bulger.......3.0-1 Elite QB (check out that new deal)

T. Brady........2.0-1 Elite QB

P. Rivers........2.4-1 Pro Bowl

D. McNabb.....3.0-1 Elite QB

D. Huard.......11.0-1 rewarded by being the starter

J. Garcia.........5.0-1 rewarded by being the starter for the bucs

-----------------------

The new Guys:

J. Culter..........1.8-1

J. Campbell......1.7-1

---------------------

M. Brunell.......2.0-1 8 TDs

K. Boller.........2.5-1 5TDs

C. Batch........5.0-0 5Tds 0 ints

If you look at that list you can tell it includes the best QBs in the league.

NOw look at the top 10 in Completion % in 2006

D. Carr <------ HAHA

T. Romo sits to pee <--- fluke

P. Manning

C. Pennington

D. Brees

C. Frye <----- 4-8 as a starter

S. McNair

M. Bulger

J. Losman<---- lololol

J. Kitna <---- Def a top 10 QB

Completion percentage is truly the BEST WAY to tell u who the best QBs in the league are:laugh:

Why not? Incompletions are worse than turnovers? On what planet? Usually the biggest problem for a young guy is avoiding mistakes. Campbell was uncommonly GOOD at that. I would wager he near the top of that list among the QBs we've all been listing. If you want to make a case that INTs aren't that big a deal, I'm all ears.

...and Romo sits to pee was NOT - tying Joey Harrington for 25th in the league in INT% at 3.9%.

If you want to make a case that INTs aren't that big a deal, I'm all ears.

Otherwise, stop feeding the troll already. It's embarrassing.

check out my post above

JC:

14th TD to INT Ratio out of 40 QBS with 5 TDs or more,

9th in TD-to-Int Ratio out of 30 Qbs to score atleast 10 TDs.

Scoring and keeping possession > completion percentage

PCT First season (11-16 games)

58.4 marino

56.7 manning

56.5 joe montana

47.5 john elway

55.6 Johnny Unitas

they each played at least 11 games their first season.

JC is at 53 after SEVEN games.... everyone get over the completion percentage.

im not even going to read the rest of this now. that right there showed me that he doesnt have s**t to worry about. and now neither do i. thanks skinsterps26

Campbell ranks near the bottom in that one category. And most here acknowledge that particular aspect of his play is a concern. What's your point again?

Why not? Incompletions are worse than turnovers? On what planet? Usually the biggest problem for a young guy is avoiding mistakes. Campbell was uncommonly GOOD at that. I would wager he's near the top of that list among the QBs we've all been talking about. If you want to make a case that INTs aren't that big a deal, I'm all ears.

My point is completion percentage and yards per attempt are more indicative of a quarterback's future in the league than TD/INT ratio. There are numerous instances of bad quarterbacks who can forge a good TD to INT ratio. However, there are very few instances, if any, where a bad quarterack can forge good numbers in yards per attempt and completion percentage.

I saw a guy with unusual poise and a great pocket-presence for a first-time starter. I saw a guy who can push the ball downfield well. I also saw a guy with accuracy issues. Kind of a mixed bag, which is what you'd expect from a guy making his first few starts.

With Campbell at quarterback, the Redskins had a fantastic running game. The Redskins basically ran the ball and took shots down the field against defenses that were putting most of their efforts into stopping the run. In addition to a great running game, Campbell had the benefit of great pass protection and one of the best deep threats in football. When a quarterback hardly throws the ball, his numbers, specifically completion percentage and yards per attempt, should look really good, not really bad.

My point is completion percentage and yards per attempt are more indicative of a quarterback's future in the league than TD/INT ratio. There are numerous instances of bad quarterbacks who can forge a good TD to INT ratio. However, there are very few instances, if any, where a bad quarterack can forge good numbers in yards per attempt and completion percentage.

Oh, I don't think that's right. A lot of that depends on what type of scheme you run. If you run a high percentage offense like a west coast offense then you are absolutely right. If you use the downfield passing game and lower percentage passes to loosen up defenses and enable you to run, your percentage is going to go down.

With Campbell at quarterback, the Redskins had a fantastic running game. The Redskins basically ran the ball and took shots down the field against defenses that were putting most of their efforts into stopping the run.

For example. :)

In addition to a great running game, Campbell had the benefit of great pass protection and one of the best deep threats in football.

Moss was gimpy for much of the year. Sure he was on the field, but he wasn't nearly as effective as he was in 2005 when he stayed healthy. I don't think a hobbled Moss could be considered 'one of the best deep threats in football.'

When a quarterback hardly throws the ball, his numbers, specifically completion percentage and yards per attempt, should look really good, not really bad.

How do you figure that? Looking at last year, the top 10 teams in attempts/game averaged a 60.8% completion rate, while the bottom 10 averaged 58.8%. Maybe that was a freaky year or something, but I don't think your 'rule' is a rule. In fact, I'd say the opposite.

Jason looked great to me, he had one bad pass in my opinion, the rest were good but either the receiver dropped them or they were defended away. I wouldn't worry too much yet. And neither he nor Romo sits to pee has played enough yet to decide how good they are.

With Campbell at quarterback, the Redskins had a fantastic running game. The Redskins basically ran the ball and took shots down the field against defenses that were putting most of their efforts into stopping the run. In addition to a great running game, Campbell had the benefit of great pass protection and one of the best deep threats in football. When a quarterback hardly throws the ball, his numbers, specifically completion percentage and yards per attempt, should look really good, not really bad.

did you not read that list on the last page where the elite qb's lead the league in td/int ratios, and the other list had mainly garbage like losman, frye, carr?

Oh, I don't think that's right. A lot of that depends on what type of scheme you run. If you run a high percentage offense like a west coast offense then you are absolutely right. If you use the downfield passing game and lower percentage passes to loosen up defenses and enable you to run, your percentage is going to go down.

So you're saying that because the passing game emphasized the deep ball, Campbell had an understandably low completion percentage. What you failed to mention was that in such an offense, a quarterback's yards per attempt should be high. Campbell's 6.3 average is well below the average for a good quarterback.

For example. :)

For example? Not sure what you're looking for.

Moss was gimpy for much of the year. Sure he was on the field, but he wasn't nearly as effective as he was in 2005 when he stayed healthy. I don't think a hobbled Moss could be considered 'one of the best deep threats in football.

I remember Moss being slowed early on with Campbell at the helm, but he seemed fine at the end of the season.

How do you figure that? Looking at last year, the top 10 teams in attempts/game averaged a 60.8% completion rate, while the bottom 10 averaged 58.8%. Maybe that was a freaky year or something, but I don't think your 'rule' is a rule. In fact, I'd say the opposite.

It may not have been the case around the league, but it stands to reason that an offense that runs more causes the defense to key more on the run (the Redskins ran 54% of the time under Campbell). Therefore, when they take to the air, they should be more effective. There were eight teams in the NFL last year that ran more than they passed, including the Redskins. Here are the numbers.

Atlanta - 56%

6.5/53.4

Washington (in 7 games under Campbell) - 54%

6.3/53.1

San Diego - 53%

7.0/61.6

Jacksonville - 53%

6.5/59.6

Kansas City - 53%

6.7/60.4

Denver - 52%

6.2/56.4

Washington (entire season) - 51%

6.4/58.3

Tennessee - 51%

5.8/50.6

New York Jets - 50%

6.5/57.6

In the yards per attempt category, Campbell finished higher than only Denver and Tennessee. In the completion percentage category, Campbell finished higher than only Tennessee. So, compared to most running teams, Campbell's numebers are still pretty bad.

So you're saying that because the passing game emphasized the deep ball, Campbell had an understandably low completion percentage. What you failed to mention was that in such an offense, a quarterback's yards per attempt should be high. Campbell's 6.3 average is well below the average for a good quarterback.

That's because he wasn't very accurate. Again (and again and again) noone's saying Campbell was GOOD in this area. What I'm saying is seven games into a player's career, picking out one statistic and holding it up as the totality of his present and future ability is insane.

One reason for this (beyond the fact that seven games represents an extremely small sample size) is the existance of differing schemes, which will inflate some stats and shrink others. If, for example, we looked at Donovan McNabb's 4.4 yards per attempt his first season and claimed that decidedly meant he was a lousy QB, without factoring in the short-passing scheme he played in (not to mention his youth) we'd have missed out on a 5-time pro-bowler. Sure, his accuracy was a problem, but it wasn't the only reason for such a crushingly low ypa.

McNabb had a low ypa because of his scheme and his accuracy problem.

Campbell has a low completion rate for the same reason: His scheme generally produces lower completion rates, and he's got accuracy issues.

That does not mean Campbell is doomed to failure. It means he's a young guy who needs to pick up one aspect of his game. It's not an unprecedented, or even uncommon, phenomenon in this league. And no, this does not mean Campbell is destined for greatness either. It just means we don't know.

I also disagree with your contention that bad QBs can more easily produce good TD/INT rates. Especially young QBs. If that's the case, go back to that list of first year starters and tell me where Campbell ranks. There should be, as you say, numerous instances of more TDs than INTs.

I remember Moss being slowed early on with Campbell at the helm, but he seemed fine at the end of the season.

Moss had some sporadic moments throughout the season, but he wasn't the same player in 06 that he was in 05. Is this really up for debate? It hurt Brunell's play as well, and it certainly affected our passing game overall, including I'd assume Campbell's effectiveness.

In the yards per attempt category, Campbell finished higher than only Denver and Tennessee. In the completion percentage category, Campbell finished higher than only Tennessee. So, compared to most running teams, Campbell's numebers are still pretty bad.

Funny. Denver and Tennessee are the only other teams on that list who played first year starters. Go figure. :)

Archived